Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Priceline
Go to your Happy Price
shah2009
Mumbai, India
Fantastic Experience
5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 02 Feb 2009
We stayed at Mabula Lodge on the 21st and 22nd Jan. I am not being judgemental, but reading very bad reviews had made me skeptical about the place. We agreed to go to Mabula, only because it was a private game reserve and had an Indian chef. But, the staff at mabula made it a wonderful experience for us. As soon as we reached Mabula, to our disappointment, the room we got had a twin bed. They apologised and upgraded us to a suite. Also they arranged flowers in the room, bathroom...very beautiful. The food was very good and especially because we are vegetarians (do not even eat eggs). The staff was very hospitable, rooms were neat. The game drives were amazign with Peter (our guide). He took special care and ensured that the group could see lions (5 together) by taeking us for a drive at 5:00 am (early morning). Overall we had a fantastic experience at Mabula game lodge
Date of stay: January 2009
    • Hotels.com
    8.7 km from Mabula Game Lodge
    Free Wifi
    Free parking
    Contact accommodation for availability.
    40.0 km from Mabula Game Lodge
    Free Wifi
    40.3 km from Mabula Game Lodge
    View more hotels in Mabula Private Game Reserve
    Reviews (1 370)
    1 370 results
    All reviews game lodge self catering the reserve sunset hill safari experience food was great great safari lunch and dinner wild animals early morning wonderful experience quad biking out of this world drive guide accommodation ranger
    Selected filters
    1 265 - 1 270 of 1 370 reviews
    Reviewed 18 December 2008

We had a great time at Mabula Game Lodge. This was an exchange through RCI for a 2 bedroom lodge. As a third couple was staying with us, we had requested a 3 bedroom. When we checked in late at night, we were thrilled to be given two 2 bedroom lodges next to each other. We enjoyed the game drives each day, and all the rangers were excellent! We were spoiled by having someone come in to clean and do our dishes twice a day. This was our first trip to Africa, and we would recommend Mabula to others.

Date of stay: November 2008
    • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    1  Thank jpm19
    Reviewed 14 July 2008

Horrible!!!!!!!!!...Horrible experience!!!!!.... If Mabula was my first game lodge in Africa, I would of never experienced another. Their website is a lie!!... When I arrived with my family, I was told my suite was changed to self-catering rooms at a discount. No electricity in one bedroom, and the rooms were dreary, and run-down. When we arrived for the all-you-can-eat dinner buffet , we were informed we would be eating off the menu because a group of french tourists had rented out most the place for the week-end. The food off the limited menu was tasteless, and it arrived to our tables 45 minutes later. I was furious to think I had paid for a supposedly grand buffet....breakfast the next morning was the same. After I had made several complaints, they arranged a scaled- down buffet for the next two meals. The buffet was limited and mediocre. They also informed was that there would be no African traditional dancers as stated in their website. Because I made such a fuss, they put together some dancers. I had to fight to get anything for my family. I was told by the desk manager, she would see about adjusting my bill and give me a call. She never did. Not surprizing. I have told everyone of my friends in Johannesburg, and friends visiting from overseas, DO NOT to waste their hard earned money on RIP-OFF MABULA!!!!

Date of stay: March 2008
    • Trip type: Travelled with family
    9  Thank stuggerm55
    Reviewed 17 February 2008

You can get so much better, especially for this money.
    Food, rooms and service are absolutely ordinary, with some flaws in the middle.
    It is crowded (conferences and large groups),rooms are very close together (you can ear your neighbour's TV on), and in some rooms the road is at your door so you ear the lodge cars driving around in deliveries, luggage move etc.
    The game is also a disapointment if you are used to places like Kruger. They have 10 elephants in the whole reserve, that must mean something.
    If it's your first time in Africa on Safari, you might even think this is it, so you can find it ok. But do your self a favour and go for the real deal instead. Among the alternatives check the CC Africa lodges, you can't go wrong there.

Date of stay: February 2008
    • Trip type: Travelled on business
    Reviewed 25 October 2007

I went to Mabula Game Lodge because it was convenient for a weekender from Johannesburg. I was extremely disappointed with the shoddy 2 star lodgings (unclean rooms with towels as rough as toast) and rude staff who continuallly asked why I was travelling by myself and told me I was stupid for asking the reception fire to lit because it was not cold enough. After my 6th request, house keeping finally lit the fire and 6 freezing guests sat by it to warm themselves. Biggest warning - Do not risk your life by using their recommended transfer service, Amazing Africa, which is co-owned by Mabula's head of reservations, Sherley Richards.

Mabula Game Lodge recommends all their guests use Amazing Africa for transfers to Mabula. But Amazing Africa are unscrupulous, corrupt and dangerous. Mabula Game Lodge & Amazing Africa colluded to substitute the driver and the car used for my transfer. Mabula lied to me that my originally booked driver's car had broken down. The substitute driver threatened us for more monies for our transfer after pulling up at a petrol station and thankfully eventually drove off and left us stranded there without having tried to shoot us first. Mabula Game Lodge refused to assist us when we telephoned them to send another car. After promising to collect us, including two young children, as soon as possible, they never turned up, nor did they contact us, or return our telephone calls.

It is a great shame that the staff at Mabula Game Lodge are inept and corrupt as their rangers and animals are excellent. But if you must see the Big 5 on a weekender go to another private game reserve in the Waterburg area. The downsides of Mabula are simply not worth the risks.

Date of stay: October 2007
    • Trip type: Travelled solo
    9  Thank msunitednations
    Reviewed 3 June 2007

Mabula manages to be luxurious and rustic at the same time. This was my first safari, and my husbands umpteenth, but we were both impressed. The staff is earnest and attentive. The game rangers are passionate and knowledgeable.

If you're looking for electronic bells and whistles this isn't the place for you. But, this is a great place to enjoy the animals of SA.

Date of stay: May 2007