“Mother's 84th Birthday did not go well!”
Review of Hawthorne Farm

Hawthorne Farm
Ranked #10 of 33 Restaurants in Yeadon
Description: Family pub restaurant with fantastic carvery, cakes and cask ales. Fabulous outside seating area for viewing the planes on a sunny day.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I, and my lovely wife, went up to Leeds on Thu 21/6 to take my Mother out for lunch to celebrate her birthday a few days before. Unfortunately I was working on the day, so we went as soon as we could.
She had taken us to the Hawthorne Farm a few months ago, so, having had a decent experience then, thought that going again would be a plan.
Watta a mistaka to makea!
Firstly, there are 3 tills running from the end of the bar down to the carvery. Myself and another customer queued at till 1 to order drinks and food, only to be told that food orders were only being taken at tills 2 & 3.
OK, I can deal with that, right up until they then open till 1 for food orders, by which time I, and "other guy" are in a big queue at tills 2 & 3.
So, having queued at till 3 for an age, I eventually reached the order point. Then we start again with the issues.
Should be simple. 1 pint of ale; half of lager and a small house red wine, plus a standard carvery and 2 small carvery.
You think so? Think again!
Mark, our server, went to pull the pint. He brought the lager and then told me they had no house red. He did offer me a choice of Merlot, Tempranillo etc. Seems reasonable, so I opted for a Merlot (for my mother), but asked for this at house red price. "I can't do that". Phil, wearing a name badge that stated "Supervisor" was consulted. "No, I can't do that"; with a facial expression equivalent to a V sign. So, result? I ordered a second half of lager. Mark managed to bring those to the bar, and was about to walk away, right until I reminded him about my pint.
So, drinks saga over, shall we comment on the food?
The food here is acceptable. It caters to those flying from LBA, but, by far, the carvery is the best value. They do fish and chips, but there are 2 really good chippies just down the road.
Have the carvery; well, unless it has run out of beef, as it had that day (oh, and I should just mention we ate at c1230), so we were left with a choice of turkey, pork or gammon. Now, I will eat all meats, but my DIL is Muslim. Not a lot of choice for her then is there?
Come on Greene King; I know you're better than that; sort it out!!

3  Thank Richard K
Kealy M, Manager at Hawthorne Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Richard K

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review, we are sorry to hear that your did't enjoy your recent visit to us.

I would like to discuss this in further detail and resolve the issue.

Please can you email me on 5673@greenking.co.uk

Write a ReviewReviews (1 118)

10 - 14 of 1 118 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Staying near the airport for the night this place was very convenient. It seemed understaffed as we waited for a long time to be served our drinks. Being a captive audience we went for the carvery and it was nothing special. It filled the night out though.

Hi Paul C

We are sorry to hear that our service and Carvery wasn't up to its usual standards, Our carvery is something that we pride ourselves on, i have spoken to the carvery to ensure that the carvery is always at its best.

Thank you taking time to leave a review, and we do hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This place is wonderful... me and my friends called in for some drinks in the sun and ended up staying all day... Drinks were good.. Food is amazing... puddings to die for... and the staff made me and all my friends feel welcome nothing was too much trouble.. will defo be back

WOW.... What an amazing review thank you for all your lovely comments, we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your drinks in the sun.

Looking forward to seeing you and your friends again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Recently had a meal here on the way to Leeds Bradford Airport. The place was so busy it was like a cattle market and we had to wait over 15 minutes for a table. The food took about 20 minutes to arrive, and wasn't worth eating. My husband and I both had the Lemon and Garlic Chicken - the description on the menu was "Lemon & garlic glazed roasted half chicken, served with seasoned chips, corn on the cob, homemade coleslaw, salad garnish and lemon & garlic sauce." My husband's chicken was OK, but mine was definitely not half a chicken - all I got was the brown meat of chicken legs. The chips were dry and tasteless and the salad garnish was just Lettuce! The lemon and garlic sauce did not taste of either lemon or garlic! I mentioned our dissatisfaction to the waitress when she came to take my still full plate away, but she just said "Sorry". We will certainly stop elsewhere when we next go to the airport.

Kealy M, Manager at Hawthorne Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi DianaB

Thank you for leaving your feedback, we are sorry to hear that your latest visit to Hawthorne Farm wasn't up to our usual standard this is not how we operate.

I would like to resolve this matter please can you contact us on 5673@greeneking.co.uk
Kind Regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Food is great and the cakes are out of this world! What made it for us was Denise J who went above and beyond. She is a credit to that pub.

Hi fdawson15

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed you visit. I have passed on you lovely comments on to Denise J.

Hope to see you again soon