Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Africa Guy

Nice stay with Problems/Missinformation

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 11 Jul 2022
The Lodge is very nice with a good look out on sand banks. The Staff is very friendly and ready to help you if needed any assistance. The experience show that the Turtle Rooms (being the cheapest) show some drawbacks such as a not functioning Safe in the Room we stayed in, also the rooms are very tiny and crampt for housing 3 people. The room had a worn-out springbed and Mattress however when we asked it was shiftly replaced with better quality bed and mattress. Another important point, the full accomodation is not worth the amount we payed, the game drive was ok although amount of animals was segnificantly lower then in Malawian Game Reserves, the food was ok good quality but lacking some flavour and freshness. If you don't need a small breakfast at the start of the Safari at 5:30, we would recommend that all food, accommodation and Safari be booked separately as it would have been the cheapest option.
Date of stay: July 2022
Pool
  • Priceline
4.3 km from Croc Valley Camp
View more hotels in Kakumbi
All reviews the river game drives south luangwa national park a lovely stay wild animals walking safari great safari knowledgeable guides herbert tent accommodation hippos camp lodge bank zambia
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 June 2022

I visited Croc Valley with two friend and it was the highlight of our 6 months of travelling. The service throughout our whole time there was amazing and each member of staff went above and beyond what was needed. All of our game drives were excellent and we were lucky enough to see 4 of the big 5, big shout out to Bernard for making this happen! Each meal was delicious and we were never left hungry, Philimon was an excellent waiter the whole time. Finally a big shout out to Herbert who helped us organise the next stage of our travels when we were stuck with where to go.
I will be going back, even if just to hear the hippos eating next to your tent at night!

Date of stay: June 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank catrionafd
Reviewed 27 December 2021

The lodge is outside the NP but very close to the gate.We needed 2 family chalets for the four of us.Each chalets have fully furnished kitchen and beds to accomodate 3 adults.There is a huge fan too to help beat the October heat.The chalets face an open glassland and sitting in the cosy veradah one can see the elephant troop marching by,the buffaloes munching as they move to the river,the pukus and kudus all day long and ofcourse the notorious monkeys.Such a treat to watch the babies playing with each other and their moms.
The resturant serves all three meals and the food quality is good.Yes,the furniture,the famous chess set ,the hammock are all worn out and need replacing but then covid has been hard to all of us .So if more local tourist come better the chance for renovations.The location of the restutant is amazing.Facing the mighty Luangwa,one is in for treat.Hippos roam about,elephats come to quench their thirst,crocdiles float by and numerous bird fly by.
For the last night we were moved to the accomodation which is meant for backpackers.It was near the kitchen but surprisingly had AC.Not very comfortable to sleep in a place full of beds,bunk beds,queen bed but we managed for that single night.
The workers are quite polite.Herbert was very helpful and answered all my queries.
The lodge also organised the walking safari and game drive for us which as other reviewers point out is the best!

Date of stay: October 2021
Reviewed 3 September 2021

Croc Valley is aptly named, as we have never seen so many and so large crocs, all in one place. Don't worry, the river bank is very high and the crocs don't come and try to visit.
There is power in each campsite and a few lights which worked all the time. There is also a small central kitchen, with freezers, fridges and stoves, if you need to use them, but it is about 200 m from the camps.
The campsites are quite small and very near the bar. Thankfully there were few customers, but it is likely to be quite loud if there are lots of guests, or backpackers.

The showers were OK, but often turn to a dribble if more than one person uses them.
The other issue was the monkeys, which are quite prolific and you cant leave anything out in the campsite, otherwise it will be eaten or just chewed up.

Overall the place was OK, but a bit run down. COVID has probably affected their income stream, but there are nicer campsite around at similar prices.

Room tip: Buy firewood from traders on bicyles directly, otherwise prices are very high both from the camp and from traders in town.
Date of stay: May 2021
Reviewed 10 April 2021

If you are looking for great food, bar, staff, and safari experience, then Croc Valley is the place for you. With different types of accommodations, this will give you choices on how you want to live on your stay. The safari's experiences are great and I highly recommend doing a combo of night and morning safaris. A guide to use there is Banard as I have used him three times and he is a very experienced guide and has great knowledge. Herbert the manager will help you in any way you can and is extremely friendly. Do not hesitate to stay here if you come to South Luangwa

Room tip: River Front Tents
Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 26 February 2021

Croc valley was a nice place to stay for our budget. We had it mostly to ourselves due to the season and covid 19.

However, 1800 kwacha was taken from my private room. There was a safe in the room which I did not use however I have never used safes during my year in Zambia and not experienced this before in any accommodation. The staff we were slow and unhelpful when this was flagged on our last day. We had a flight to catch and the manager made us wait in reception for 2.5 hours without any information, which resulted in us rushing to the airport and not visiting the local shops as planned. The manager was quite defensive and put the entire blame on me and even managed to make me feel guilty for being stolen from in his premise. He instructed me the only way to help the situation was to raise a police report. To do this you had to be in the area and due to the delay waiting for him there was no time to do so. He said he would be in touch via email to assist this and he never was.

His tone and lack of a good will gesture for even 10% off the bar tab for the time wasted and the theft was really disappointing and I would not recommend staying there, despite the pleasant experience beforehand.

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Charl Beukes, Owner at Croc Valley Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2021

Amazing that we are blamed for someone's stupidity and give a 1 score when everywhere even on the Mirror in rooms are signs LOCK UP YOUR VALUABLES Even on briefings Guests are asked to lock up valuables and that we have a safe upstairs that we can lock things up if necessary When I spoke to her and asked why it was not locked up she said I never lock up anything. There reason we have spent a lot of money to fit safes is to protect the clients belongings. I was asked what can I do about it and I said the only thing is to inform the police. I was then asked what would happen to the ladies cleaning the rooms and I said they would be interrogated, which they were not happy with so I asked them what do you expect me to do and I was told discount the bar bill . I replied I am sorry but this was not our fault you did not follow our instructions. We concluded that they would write a report send it to us and I would try must best to report this to the Police not knowing if they would accept a hand written report. No report came