Reviews (1 460)
1 460 results
All reviews hau tree mauna kea golf view golf course main tower the big island mid century clambake walk in closet four seasons manta rays banana bread understated elegance play golf year after year an umbrella breakfast buffet
9 - 14 of 1 460 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We spent the second part of our honeymoon at this property and it was literally the best hotel experience I’ve ever had. Customer Service, rooms, beach, food, housekeeping- everything was perfect. As a Marriott elite celebrating our honeymoon we were upgraded to a deluxe ocean front room ( number 606 ). The room was fantastic with huge bedroom, 2 lanais , big bathroom (2 sinks , bath and shower ) and walk-in closet. The room was great but the view..... exceeded all our expectations!!!! It was the most beautiful ocean view ever ! ( see pictures ) . The beach is fantastic- big, wide and very clean. There are a lot of beach chairs and umbrellas. The Hotel installs floating docks on the water its a really cool spot to relax on between swims or snorkeling. There is reef where you can easily snorkel and see lots of colorful fish during the day and manta rays at night ! There is also a manta Ray lookout spot - they come there everyday! There is an awesome beach bar located right at the beach where cocktails, lunch and dinner are served.
Breakfasts at Manta Restaurant are fantastic and the ocean view from the restaurant is also spectacular. We had dinners at all 3 restaurants ( Hau Tree, copper bar and La Manta - I left separate reviews of them ) they were all really good . Customer service at the hotel was beyond exceptional- many thanks to Margarite who helped make sure everything was absolutely perfect during our honeymoon stay ! I highly recommend this hotel its a very special place with really unique architecture a perfect beach, great amenities and excellent service.
I also highly recommend doing some hotel activities such as moonlight manta snorkeling - really special experience!
We also saw rooms at the beachfront part of the hotel - the view from the rooms is great too however it’s an older part of the hotel so it’s important to bare that in mind while booking.

Room Tip: Room 606 - beautiful room, amazing Ocean View Room, rooms at the hotel part are nicer - renovated.
1  Thank Ewa R
MaunaKeaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

There is definitely nothing that beats the views of Kauna'oa Bay! Thank you for choosing to stay with us to begin the next chapters in your lives together and delighted you enjoyed everything Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has to offer. From the spacious room and bathroom, to ocean activities, to the dining outlets, we are glad that it was all to your satisfaction. We appreciate you recognizing our team and the exceptional service they provided. Congratulations to you both and we hope you visit us again for future anniversary celebrations! Mahalo!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The most beautiful bay & beach to relax and unwind. Staff super friendly. Check in a breeze! Upgraded to ocean front being a platinum member. So excited! 2nd time here and could of cried with excitement! 5th floor looking at this beautiful sandy beach. Bed super comfortable with big pillows. Toilet & sink on one side as you walk in & sink & shower on the other side. Big balcony with comfy chairs. The calm beach is my favorite. Love to sunbathe & float in the calm water. Snorkeling is great. To rent $20. For 2 hours which was fine for me. Breakfast buffet which we got included (platinum member) I enjoyed. Nice variety and nice staff. $35. PP. Didn’t eat anywhere else on the property since the prices are super high. A mai tai is $16.! And tried one, just ok. The best thing at night is watching the manta rays. The light up an e
Area which brings plankton to the surface and the manta rays come to eat. Super cool to see. Overall Love this place. True paradise! I hope someday to come back

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us again and glad to hear you had another great experience. We are delighted to were about to create more Mauna Kea Moments while enjoying Kauna'oa Bay. Thank you again for your review. We hope you visit us again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Gorgeous gorgeous hotel! Ugh my heart aches as I remember waking up early morning and merrily skipping down to the pristine beach just a couple days ago. While being next to a perfect beach is its own draw, I really came to appreciate the hotel itself during my stay. Loved the architecture and art decor, which I found subtly striking. There was always something interesting to see and the open air layout kept the hallways and lobby cool.

We had a golf view room on the 7th floor. A couple floors right above the lobby entrance, my view consisted of cars pulling up to valet, some of Mauna Kea (I think that's what it was) though mostly obscured by trees and clouds, some of the golf course, and if leaning against the balcony rail, a decent amount of ocean! We tried to get an upgrade at check in but an ocean view room became available after we'd unpacked and sunk into the plushy bed. Got lazy and decided to save some dough, which I don't regret, but next time I won't hesitate to splurge.

For the room itself:
Pros- walk in closet (really helped keep things organized for the week); robe and slippers; l'occitane toiletries; coffee and tea station (mainly mentioning this because they provide a really cute teapot and teacups, which I didn't use, but along with the wine glasses and bottle opener, it was a charming little self service beverage corner); easy access to beach and parking; very sweet housekeeping staff

Cons- very minor but I didn't feel like there were good places to hang a damp towel in the bathroom. The towel bars were placed over the toilet and toilet paper roll, so unfolded towels kind of awkwardly hung over those actively utilized areas. There's a hook by the shower, but it was not a good spot for drying. I saw other guests hang their bath towels out on the balcony rail... a better solution would be well placed towel bars.

We weren't really into the food either. After some bland fish tacos at Hau Tree and underwhelming Sunday brunch at Manta (food was fine, but really not worth $69 pp), we found plenty of great places to eat within 30 min of the resort.

Ok, no more negatives! Let me finish this review by saying last Thursday, on the hotel grounds, I saw 2 geckos while walking to the beach, a sea turtle while snorkeling, later saw three mantas from the viewing point, and then 6 feral cats (two of them were not shy and let us pet them). What a lucky day!

2  Thank senaid22

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the thoughtful amenities throughout the guestroom. We are sorry to hear about your dining experiences but appreciate you bringing this to our attention as an area for improvement, as well as, your recommendation regarding the guestroom bathroom. We hope you visit us again to skip back down to the beautiful Kauna'oa Bay. Mahalo for your review!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We went here for drinks one night after doing the Manta Ray Snorkel. We had some really awesome Mai Tai’s. They were pricy, it’s a very posh resort. We had a nice time chatting about the dive and chilling out listening to a local musician play island music. There is a free lookout point way down by the water where you can see the mantas swimming. I watched from the lookout instead of diving. Really incredible experience.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank karansimoni
MaunaKeaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Mahalo for joining us for a cocktail after doing evening activities here at the resort. We are glad to see you had a wonderful time enjoying the evening activities including Manta Snorkel, live entertainment and walk down to Manta lookout. Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 15 September 2018

Although I was told by another guest that the hotel doesn't love this, I was glad that it was a Marriott property. We met a couple that had been coming back for 20+ years but I doubt I would recommend it that highly. As typical of a resort, you can stay there and never leave, but it can get pricey.

Because of my status, the buffet breakfast was included (we added the tip) and while it was delicious, $35/person might not be worth it to some. Good food, lots of choices and omelettes made to order (I recommend the fresh Belgium waffles...but they need to heat their syrup!).

The beach was all "self-serve" including putting towels on the chairs which were plentiful. We were there just before Hurricane Olivia and after Lane, so the hotel didn't seem too crowded. It would have been nice to have cocktails served on the sand but the bar nearby had great mai tais and pina coladas.

Valet parking is $25/day, which we used, and self-parking is $20/day. If you have Marriott points, this is an excellent find (50,000 per day) and an upgrade will get you an amazing view! Bathrooms were huge but not brand new...but great nonetheless.

Room Tip: big tower facing the water is better than the beach view
2  Thank JDinLA

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience enjoying the Manta restaurant breakfast buffet and great drinks at Hau Tree! We are thrilled to hear you had a great time while relaxing at Kauna'oa Bay. Mahalo!