Reviews (3 950)
2 141
1 187
2 141
1 187
All reviews the hapuna prince hapuna beach the coast grille hapuna cafe the big island parking garage sister hotel the mauna kea ocean front breakfast buffet pool bar construction noise cafe pesto chairs and umbrellas boogie boarding partial ocean view golf course
24 - 29 of 3 950 reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked this trip before the volcano and hurricane, as well as without reading about the construction so we were a little worried about what we were getting into. Shouldn't have been. The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort exceeded our expectations. It has an understated classiness to it - very clean, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the grounds were beautifully kept, and the room / lanai were modern and comfortable. We were greeted with a cold, wet cloth and glass of juice. Our flight arrived 40 minutes early, but our room was available right away. There was a calmness in the resort; not a lot of hustle/bustle as was at the Marriott and Mauna Kea when we visited them for meals. Our vacation package included the breakfast buffet - which we highly recommend you include, as there aren't any restaurants close by. We enjoyed that kind of seclusion as it allowed us to enjoy the resort all that more. We were not bothered by the construction at all, whether on the beach, by the pool, or on the lanai. We were in the South Tower. Would definitely visit again!

Stayed: October 2018
2  Thank Trina N
MaunaKeaResort, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience enjoying everything The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort has to offer. It is our top priority to exceed the expectations of our guests and glad we have done just that. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed 'Ikena Landing for breakfast every morning and were able to visit our sister property, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, for more dining options. Mahalo again for your time and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Very difficult to give a review as I have mixed feelings. My husband and I have been lucky to visit the Islands of Hawaii 37 times. We have been to the Prince Hapuna Beach 3 times before and it is one of our favorites. We booked a 10 day Delta Vacation package with ocean view. I loved this place before. The Westin has made changes and I'm ok with them however nothing made up for the room that we had been assigned. Directly outside our room, we had daily noise of jackhammering construction. Only book if you talk to the Hotel directly and are assured of being in the South Tower. I guess Ocean Front will do that. At check-in I was told that I would be on the waitlist for the South tower so we did not even unpack. 3 days later after talking to check-in many times, I asked for an appointment with the manager. He was busy and I never received a call back. We could never sit on the lanai or lay at the pool or spend time in the ocean without hearing the continual jackhammer noise. Gina made up for it by not charging some fees. She calmed me down and I finally gave in to the fact that I needed to just enjoy my time there. It is beautiful. The building they sold is right in front of the North Tower so they technically can say, they are not responsible. You would however think that Westin or whoever owns the place now would at least put something on their site so when booking a room, you would be aware of the horrible noise. Closing the doors to the lanai did help. Breakfast buffet was part of my package and it is wonderful. Ginger made sure we had a great table everyday. Walking the 1/2 mile beach early in the morning was a treat. Don't think we will be back though as management did not seem to care. 10 days ( not on Sunday) jackhammer noise. I have the video. Sad.

Room Tip: Unless you have an Ocean Front in the South Tower, do not book.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hawaiisouls
MaunaKeaResort, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Mahalo for continuing to visit the Islands of Hawaii and choosing to stay with us again for your time along the Kohala Coast! We are sorry to hear your comments regarding the oceanfront tower's conversion to private residences by a private developer. We would like to apologize for the lack of communication you received from our hotel team. Thank you for recognizing the mentioned staff members who provided exceptional customer service. We appreciate you taking the time to share your review, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future to enjoy the same experience you have come to know and love.

Reviewed 8 October 2018

We took a cab from the airport at Kona and spent a week at the resort. It was most relaxing, the resort was lovely, the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. Food was a bit pricey to be expected at a resort but very good. The breakfast buffet was great. It would have been nice to have a place to sit down for lunch didn't really find that. The concierge, Lauren made the stay even more enjoyable. We took the helicopter ride around the perimeter of the island, we were picked up right at the resort so didn't need to drive. I would strongly recommend this resort for couples or families, we saw lots of children.

1  Thank Ce B
MaunaKeaResort, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us for your husbands birthday celebration! We are thrilled to hear you had a relax vacation experience enjoying the beautiful resort, dining outlets and island activities. We welcome you back to continuing to create more memories together!

Reviewed 6 October 2018

This resort was a bit off by itself, but offered a gorgeous white sand beach and nice pool area. While we were there, there was some pretty major construction underway that had jackhammers all day! We were not informed of this when we booked or prior to arrival. The room was spacious with lovely plantation sliding doors to the large private lanai. This was the BEST bathroom of anywhere we’ve ever stayed. It was large with fantastic lighting (something I’ve rarely ever seen). It had a separate toilet room. I felt the parking garage distance was a bit extreme (maybe they preferred you use valet), but at least self parking was an option.

4  Thank Joanie M

With a commitment to guest satisfaction, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed the spacious guestroom, large lanai and bathroom layout. Thank you for your time and sharing your feedback!

Reviewed 6 October 2018

I was apprehensive about our reservation at the Hapuna Beach Resort after reading reviews about the construction going on there. The remodel is beautiful with 3 levels of new pools and koi ponds. I found that I could easily toon out the construction noise and they stop at around 4:00 pm. The beach is the best on the island. I also think the staff is the most friendly of any place I have stayed at in Hawaii. Every morning we would take our coffee and sit by the Koi Pond for an hour, then we would have breakfast either at the hotel buffet or DayMind off site. After that we would go to the beach to swim and snorkel until the umbrella stoped providing shade. Then we would move up to pool level and swim and read. Dinner was often at the pool bar for cocktails and local fish tacos, Yum. Dinner included incredible sunsets at 6:00pm. Later we would take the shuttle over to the Mauna Kia to watch the manta rays swim. The construction is almost done and mostly confined to the North tower area. Just don't let it stop you from going.

2  Thank Gailn7

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share the wonderful memories you created enjoying the beautiful resort and Hapuna Beach! We appreciate your understanding of the adjacent oceanfront tower's conversion to private residences by a private developer. We hope to see you again!