“Food great; wine below average”
Review of Trattoria Da Mario

Trattoria Da Mario
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Prepotto
Price range: US$23 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2018

We went to this restaurant on the first night we visited Prepotto last month at the suggestion or our agroturismo host. Mind you, this town is the center of the the famous Schioppettino DOC wine and the restaurant's name is Trattoria Da Mario Enoteca dello Schioppettino. However, when we sat down and considered placing our orders we were not given a wine list or menu. Instead there was only one wine offered called Mario, so forget about tasting some different types of Schioppettino. That might have been okay had the wine been drinkable but it was not. I would have given the restaurant a higher rating, even five stars, if there had been a selection because I will say that the food was excellent. Simple dishes but well prepared, fair pricing, and delicious. So perhaps 5 stars for the food and 1 for the wine. that is why I only gave 3 stars overall. I spoke with other people around Prepotto and everyone agreed that Mario needs to bring in a selection of the Schioppettinos and not just the Mario brand.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank wardjer
MarcoSchioppettino, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Trattoria Da Mario, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2018

As we are called Enoteca dello Schioppettino we have a wide choice of Schioppettino (generally from 9 to 12) and we usually offer three different wine tastings (not only the Mario brand). If you didn't like the Mario wine, we don't understand why you didn't complain at the time or when leaving the restaurant.

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Staying in Prepotto en route to Trieste via bikes, we were encouraged to dine at Trattoria da Mario...and we were not disappointed. The food was simple but SUPERB...the chef offered helpful suggestions (accommodating our English with considerable grace) and the service was attentive but never over bearing. We wish we lived near this eatery!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 9 July 2016

While visiting my sister in Cividale, Italy this past May, we ventured down the road and stopped at this restaurant. It has a small dining room with a lovely outside patio. Mario's son, Marco, runs the place with his wife and kids. Everyone is so very welcoming the minute you enter. They carry the areas specialty wine, Schioppettino, and it is the best cab you'll ever have the opportunity to taste! The menu selections are many and every dish our party had was outstanding. We went back and asked Marco to just "bring it on" and each course was something to indulge in and treasure.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

It's the second time I've been here and this time I brought along some friends. What can I say... everything was great. The very friendly and entertaining host brought us some crudo with asparagus and then some ravioli. Both dishes were simply yummy.....then I got a steak and the others all got the famous pork dish. Nobody was disappointed. The wines suggested also went down a treat as well as the sorbetto with strawberries. A very enjoyable experience once again and I definitely come back when I'm in friuli again!

Date of visit: April 2016
Reviewed 24 October 2015

I return almost every year to the Collio with my boyfriend to enjoy this landscape, atmosphere and wine. In 2006 we discovered Trattoria Da Mario by chance. This has been one of the best culinary discoveries of our lives. This restaurant is elegant but simple and very clean. The food is served/presented on attractive plates and the wines are served in a variety of glasses, depending on which wine you choose to drink. Our favourite meal combination is the seasonal "stinco" (roasted pork leg) and the exquisite Schioppettino red wine. All courses of the meal are offered and it is each time a difficult choice but fun. We know that we cannot go wrong. We discovered something even more delicious each year but the stinco is our blue-ribbon winner. The owner and his family are friendly as well as they are talented cooks. We will return next month in November 2015 to drop by, greet the family, eat and drink. Cannot wait!

Date of visit: November 2014