“Amazing food..... Poor service”

Hickory's Smokehouse
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Description: Fanatical about flames; silly about smokers and utterly obsessed with the smells, tastes and traditions of the Deep South. Our smokin' hot menu is available all day every day, from smokehouse classics including ribs, Texas style beef brisket, to steak and burgers. Serving breakfast Friday - Sunday and lunch throughout the week and a specially designed kids menu that includes ‘grown-up’ tastes and some fun healthy options, the entire family can experience the flavours of the deep South. Located in the heart of Castle Bromwich, on the edge of Birmingham, with ample car parking our restaurant is designed to welcome every age of guest and families are particularly well catered far. With relaxed seating areas, well-stocked bars and friendly teams, plus cinema rooms for the kids there genuinely is something for everyone. Whether it's meal with the family, catch up with friends, celebration or just a drink at the bar we promise you will leave full and with a lasting warmth.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Firstly I must say, I LOVE the food here. I also absolutely love the setting, the theming is awesome and the restaurant is really comfortable. Having spent quite a bit of time in Southern America, the food and setting is so authentic. Its this that keeps me coming back, as I have been several times now.
However I must say that as time has gone on service has declined. Today I went for breakfast. Couple of things, my other half had the bottomless coffee (you know, where they are supposed to come round with the coffee pot and fill your mug up.......well they didn't so it was actually just a cup of coffee), from being seated, through to paying the bill we had 6 staff attend to us, no consistency of who was our server/waiter, which is probably why our requests for further drinks, etc weren't actioned, However in my case I had ordered a second tea several times, and even though this did not arrive whilst I was eating they still managed to put them on the bill three times. If we had the same server then I am sure they would remember (or at least stay within their area to serve the tables). Anyhow, my second tea did arrive after requesting the bill and plates cleaned away, along with the bill! At this point I were getting ready to pay and leave (after of course informing the staff they was charging us for three teas when we only had two including this very late one), so I had one gulp of the flesh tea and left after paying our amended bill. I think just to summarise, ordering, and the follow up service is rather slow and not very well organised, other couples were waiting trying to get the staffs attention to finally order food after waiting quite a while.
So, Brilliant food, great surroundings, just a rather inconsistent service, which unfortunately distracts from all the good points.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Visited a month ago and staff, service and food great. Returned for a birthday celebration. Very slow service, 10 minutes before we were asked about drink then a further 10 minutes waiting for them. Ordered same as before but it was not the same recipe and disappointed overall. Nice staff but only takes one bad visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Really enjoyed a mid-day lunch at the Hickory Smokehouse. Had booked over the phone and received a confirmation email. 4 gerations were able to find something nice to eat on the extensive menu. Yes, it is meat heavy but that is to be expected at such an establishment. Staff were very helpful and accommodating.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Went there with a mate. We both had the xxl burger. I asked if i could have my berger rare, she just looked at me like i asked her to kill the cow for me. The burger came out and it was very well dine, a bit chowy. They said they all come out the same. If im paying £15 for a burger you should have it cooked the way u want. It makes me think that the burger are frozen not fresh??

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This is a themed smoke-house and they pretty much make everything from scratch!
I went alone for lunch and ordered from their lunchtime menu which had various dishes to choose from at a very reasonable price!
I had a starter and a main with the most tastiest blueberry sour drink!
The food was well presented, full of flavour and filling. You have got to try the mac n cheese!
This restaurant has a very good eye to attention to detail... hooks by tables to hang you coat on, small Cinema room to entertain the children, free wi-fi, plenty of power points and my favourite a little basket of lady essentials in the toilet just in case you need to freshen up.
Service was fast and friendly. Atmosphere relaxed and most of all warm!
I would mostly likely go again bringing some friends along with me :)