Reviews (2 432)
2 434 results
All reviews alang alang horizon restaurant blue lagoon sea view the bus sunset lounge new wing free boat trip private beach indoor pool building work riviera hotel half board relaxing holiday hired a car all inclusive guests remote location
140 - 145 of 2 434 reviews
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Ramla Bay Resort must be one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in. Rooms, bathrooms and balcony are a great size and in the sun all day and a great view of the sunset each night. I paid extra to stay in a sea view side but I’d say 80% of the rooms had that view anyway.

WiFi worked great and free. Didn’t dip out when no activity which was good.

No need to bring plug adapters either all English sockets. And also drive on the same side as the uk.
I would recommend a private / taxi transfer. I was on a shared shuttle mini bus and it took for ever!

The furniture is dated but does the job, providing enough room to unpack and keep tidy. The beach and pool provide enough sun all day long. Improvements need are better quality sun beds and service on the beach.

The food providing plenty of choice even for the fussy eater. The quality was really 5 star. Replenished regularly. Different options of meats every night with sea food also available. Breakfast had every option full English to continental. Now I’m not a pudding eater but resisting the apple and rhubarb crumble was impossible. Eat in the main dinning area or order from the pool or reception bar which were also 5 star quality.

I’m a beer drinker and to see Carlsberg on tap was heaven! All named spirts not local. I was all inclusive and really did have everything I would expect. Apart from a replenished mini bar and daily water. Only let down no service on the beach or around the pool area again possibly why not a 5star. There was a full entertainment program, not that I attended I came to chill. The animation team were really enthusiastic with lots of different activities for all. Sleeping was made a little difficult by the loud music until around midnight from the opposite hotel. Great for the younger ages providing a smart area to party safely. Not a bother for me but I imagine old folk wouldn’t be as impressed as everything echos.

I was here during the World Cup and the hotel provide two different viewing areas. Evenings had a great in the projector outside. And daytime as long as you were early was great in the reception area.

The bed in my rooms was very comfortable but a twin and not a double, maybe something to request when booking. Although it suited me as alone I’d pull one of the mattresses on to the balcony and sunbath all day.

I’m not sure why this resort isn’t a 5 star possibly just missing that luxury touch and no room service.

My only criticism of this hotel is CATS! They are outside everywhere. Although they do not bother you apart from sit by your table and beg for food. They seem to be present at all hotels but I wouldn’t let it put you off.

Lots of different nationalities with no real lager louts misbehaving, most people were friendly and seem happy enough.
No local shops in walking distance so make sure you bring all you need. Hotels shop shuts at 7pm was ok for gifts but not so good for toiletries or essentials.

Would I stay here again yes 100%

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank loopylouisee
Robert V, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear loopylouisee

Thank you for finding time to write your review.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we took note of those small remarks that you mentioned and would like to add to it that we have been audited in March of this year by the European Tourism Board and major Tour Operators and we have achieved 156 points above the 4* rating and we can easily apply for a higher grading, however at this point in time we are not interested to go that way as it will involve higher prices for our guests in all aspects, more formal wear and behavior and we prefer to give our clients a relaxed, easy going atmosphere topped up with above expected services and products for a current rating.

In respect to the cats, they are all taken care of by a Vet from Mellieha, each of them having its name, chip and check up history and they do a good job by keeping the rodents away from the nearby fields. Some of them have even been taken to other countries for adaption by our previous customers.

Once again we thank you for staying with us and are looking forward to welcoming you again in near future whilst wishing you long life and prosperity

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Right, make yourselves a cup of tea, sit back and I shall begin.

My family have traveled to Malta 2 or 3 times a year for the last 6 years. We love the place, the people and the history. We hope to one day make it our home.

After our last visit I felt something had to be said about where we were staying as ourselves and others became negative about the Hotel.

The first part of this review is a letter that I submitted to my holiday organiser, making them slightly aware that I wasn't fully happy with my lot.

The second part covers my interpretation of their response.

*************. PART 1. *****************

Ramala Bay hotel 28 05 - 04 06 2018

I really don't believe you blatantly sold me a holiday that is not what it all seems.

RESTAURANTs

This is your words... 'The All Inclusive package includes buffet-style breakfast and dinner in the Terramar restaurant and lunch in the Horizon restaurant. '

We couldn't use the Terramar restaurant as we accommodated in the 'older section' and were to use the Horizon restaurant only! No where have I read about this seemingly two tier All inclusive system

The Horizon is neither in the photos nor same standard as the Terramar.

Your photos also portray you could sit in the pool by a bar, this does not exist ! , as for the lovely decking bar overseeing the pools and seafront....Nah, always closed.

How many times have any company / hotel responded with..

" If you don't inform us at the time, then we cannot correct the problem and strive to ensure your time with us is memorable ".

This I can except when the ' fly in the ointment ' is a noisy neighbour, a cold dish, a mobility issue or even the fly in the coffee.

But I cannot except this response when it comes to a continuous presentation of poor quality food a breakfast.

Under cooked and or cold fried eggs.
Fatty bacon
Warm water in decanters

The only response to these complaint should be " Our breakfast quality control needs to be reviewed "

As for the 'wandering chef' , here's a quick test.

What is the response to " can I have some pork cut please?"

A) "Certainly Sir, I'll just get behind the hot plate"
B) "One moment please Sir, I'll quickly call your serving chef"
C) Just look guest up and down then walk away .

Or perhaps I've got it all totally wrong, and perhaps " can I have some pork cut please?" Sounds like " go stuff you self important personage" in his home language !

ACCOMMODATION

Your photos show interior landing as ' Bright, open and spacious interior' ..nah mate..standard hotel corridors..Again this is in the new section which we were not to see or experience.

Our first impression was that we had entered the wrong hotel.

STAFF

The efforts of the few are destroyed by the many. A couple of pointers

Smile
Don't count your tip tray while guests wait to be served
Greet guests that enter your venue
Don't barge guests in doorway or corridors
Don't ignore guests

Mr P Still

***************. PART 2 ***************

They made no comment about the seemingly 2 tier all inclusive system. I can only assume they don't wish to waste their time on a truth less observation meaning it doesn't exists.

It just costs more to be in the newer Section.

They also point out that the food provided is not the same as the UK . REALLY !! you don't say...apart from stating the obvious, I can't see where constantly supplied cold fried eggs are except able in ANY country .

*******. Summery. ******

If your going to stay at this hotel,

1. Be aware of MIGHTs or COULDs .
2. Inform Management immediately of any negative observations

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank Pete S
Henri M, General Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Dear Mr Still

Thank you for finding the time to copy and comment on some ‘correspondence’ between you and your holiday organiser as your review.
We shall not comment on your quoting from a reply by your travel organiser.
Nor will we reply to your indication to photos that might have been taken at our hotel and featured in a third party website.
Re Restaurants: We will not reply to your seemingly theatrical and sarcastic "Quick Test" that I am sure one must make one proud to come up with.
Re Accommodation: Once again we cannot comment on photos from third parties.
However if one had desired to be accommodated in an upgraded room one simply had the option to choose and book any room. We have many room types starting from Standard country view rooms to Panoramic Seaview Suites. However, one must pay more for room upgrades. We understand that you must have opted to stay in one of the standard rooms.
Re Staff: Thank you for your kind pointers.
Re your comments on the reply sent to you from your travel organiser:
As a policy and procedure, guests who book rooms in the main building (standard rooms) have their dinner at the Horizon Restaurant (situated in main building), whilst guests who book the Suites and Deluxe rooms have their dinner at the Terramar Restaurant (situated in new wing). This is mostly based on logistics and close proximity. (God forbid to have people who might complain that they had to walk all the way from their room to the restaurant ‘on the other side’)
So one must not assume that there is no policy just because one cannot comprehend it.

Re your comment: “They defend the hotel and themselves by pointing out the restaurant and pool bar are subject to ......" change depending on occupancy levels and therefore we do highlight on our website that this information is subject to change"

Just for your information; our pools and outdoor venues are advertised open from May to October - subject to weather conditions….and not on occupancy levels.
It is in our interest to open all outlets as early in the season as possible and to keep them running till as late in the year as possible. Unfortunately bad weather is a determining factor here.

Re your comment: “I sorry, but what is the point of advertising something you MIGHT get, or COULD have, when your planning a holiday.”

Any basic business promotes their service and are subject to certain terms that the client will be made aware of, ours are that some outdoor outlets’ availability are subject to weather conditions, so if as you are saying that you travelled to Malta 2 or 3 times a year for the last 6 years, I would have reasoned that you might be aware that in the months of May and June we might get some strong winds. Malta is an island and unfortunately we get a good share of strong wind throughout the year actually. Now it is my turn to give you a TIP: If you hope to one day make Malta your home, and you opt for a nice terrace, you might need to check the prevailing winds too.

I apologise about your cold fried eggs, although I cannot comprehend this as we have a live cooking station cooking a la minute too.

Re your comment in your SUMMARY for good advice: to “Inform Management immediately of any negative observations”…I completely agree with you here. We have reception open 24/7, A manager on duty every evening, and a Guest services Quality department found in the hotel lobby. As you can see we love to solve any issues that may arise or to clarify any information on the spot in order to make one’s stay as happy and nice as possible.

As to why you ask a question if you are a snob is beyond me though.

We thank you for staying with us and we are looking forward to your next visit to our lovely Island even if you decide not to stay at our resort.

Kind regards
Henri Mattocks

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We are at the Ramla Bay Resort on our third visit. Our visit this time is to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and my husbands birthday. We been blown away.

We have stayed in the new part of the hotel. Our apartment boasts two bathrooms a living space with small kitchen, a huge bedroom and a double balcony. Absolutely stunning. Our apartment has been cleaned daily during our stay with clean linens and towels every day. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a bottle of wine.

The Atrium and spa in the new part of the hotel are stunning. Along with the indoor pool.

The outdoor pools and sea areas are stunning. My favourite space is the little bridge to the side of the outdoor bar. Where you can take a moment to reflect and watch the sea life.

Food is amazing. We had our meals mainly in the Atrium restaurant. Every day the menu was varied and the food really good. For my husbands birthday we visited Mojitos. The two way chicken stuffed with pistachios was amazing fayre. A meal we heartily recommend.

The entertainment has much improved with a guest artist every night. Paul Vella an act to look out for. A very talented man who engaged his audience with a real eclectic mix.

Travellers looking for a special place to stay cannot go wrong with this beautiful, beautiful place to stay. With its own private beach. Were it thirty years ago I think we would be very tempted to hold our special day here. Truly idyllic.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebbieE27
Robert V, Manager at Ramla Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear DebbieE27

Thank you for finding time to write your review.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your 3rd stay with us and are looking forward to welcoming you once again in near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

My husband and I stayed at Ramla Bay resort from the 20th June till the 25th June for our wedding anniversary. I’d only seen good reviews about the hotel and as it is rated as a four-star establishment, I had pretty high expectations. Despite having a good time in Malta overall, I have to admit I was quite disappointed with our stay at the hotel.

We got a taxi from the airport to the hotel (costs approx €37 and takes 45 minutes) and first impressions were good - it’s situated in Marfa Bay (Cirkewwa)which is a lovely but very quiet town up north. This is what we wanted though as we didn’t want the hustle and bustle of big cities.

Check-in was fine & actually reception was really gracious when we had some card payment situations (cheers to Tatiana).

ACCOMMODATION:
Upon arriving at our room though, my heart sank a little as it was just so underwhelming. I understand I booked a “standard” room but personally, the standards are pretty low for a 4 star hotel. The towels were threading, the shower curtains were stained, the fridge was barely lukewarm and wouldn’t chill anything, the walls had quite a lot of smudges/scratches, one of the bedside lamp was stained and the “coffee & tea section” was incredibly scarce. We received one water bottle and I don’t know if it was meant to be complimentary, but for a country where you can’t drink the tap water, one would assume you’d be given a new bottle each day. We are not high maintenance people at all, but again, if one is staying at a 4 star establishment, you’d expect better service. The toilet didn’t flush properly which we mentioned to reception and they said they’d have it checked out. It still was troublesome to use afterwards so not sure if it was actually looked at.

Personally, the biggest disappointment had to be the bed, or should I say beds. Firstly, the pillows were so incredibly thin, I had to ask for at least two extra ones and sleep with three in order to not get any neck pain due to it feeling as low as the bed itself. More importantly, when booking via Booking.com, I made sure to click a “double bed” option as opposed to two singles. Well, the “double bed” was in fact, two singles put together. I mentioned to reception whether this was the case for all rooms under “double beds” as it’s pretty misleading. The receptionist (different person) was quite dismissive and had the audacity to say that it’s still a double bed but two singles “zipped” together. Nothing about the pictures I’ve attached shows that the beds are zipped together. I actually almost fell in the middle of the night while trying to sleep closer to my husband. We did ask if there was any chance to be upgraded to a new room with a proper double bed (which apparently is only available in “deluxe” rooms) and we received a stern “no, we’re all fully booked” from the desk. We’re not people to carelessly ask for random upgrades but it definitely did put a downer on my mood after having paid a good price for this resort.

FOOD & ACTIVITIES:
As for the hotel itself, it has its perks with two great outdoor swimming pools and fantastic access to a private beach.You can also do activities like jetski/hire a boat etc. It’s generally a pretty large hotel with about 6-7 restaurants scattered all around. As the resort is in such a secluded area, the food options are appreciated although it can be very easy to get lost. There seems to be new “section” of the hotel which is very pretty (there are also some restaurants here). I’m sure the rooms there are a lot nicer and may be where you get better service. There’s clearly quite a bit of work being done to the place as there’s some confusing routes you need to take to get some particular restaurants or parts of the building.

Just a heads up that I wouldn’t recommend eating at the Mojito restaurant as the food is quite overpriced and just not great. We did have an evening buffet on our first night (in the new bit of the hotel) which was €20 each (not including drinks) but the food was really good and worth the money. We also had a pretty good breakfast (included in our booking) and there were various options to choose from ranging from fry-ups to different yoghurts and cereals.

The hotel has a little shop where you can buy all sorts of stuff from sunscreen to wine but as expected, it was slightly overpriced. Also, it didn’t take card which seems a bit outdated.

I must admit, the hotel had quite a few activities/music nights/some sort of entertainment during most evenings (we didn’t stick around but caught some of it on the way out) and they even streamed the World Cup matches which was great. Lots of kid friendly entertainment too.

TRANSPORT:
Just outside of the hotel there are different boat options you can take to visit the Blue Lagoon/Comino. We ended up using a different boat company based in Mellieha but the ones available near the hotel seemed pretty busy so I’m guessing they’re also good. The hotel is about a 7 minute walk away from two bus stops which is really helpful as it can take you all the way to Valletta. You can use the same ticket within 2 hours and it was a really economical (albeit often long) way to travel around the country. Ramla is also about 25 min walk (Or 10 minute bus ride) away from the ferry port which takes you over to Gozo. Really handy for those looking to explore the other parts of the country.

OVERVIEW:
Malta is a gorgeous country and staying around this area (or Mellieha) is great if you want to be close to the other islands/away from busy towns. However, if you’re looking for a romantic getaway, this may not be the place for you. I would certainly return to Malta, but wouldn’t stay at Ramla Bay again.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marcelle C

Dear Marcelle C

Thank you for finding time to write your review.

We are sorry that your stay with us was not to your expectations and we took note of all the issues you mentioned, however if one doesn't like a particular room, if requested, another one would have been shown and a solution found like we do with other queries. You mentioned that the receptionist on duty didn't oblige to your request but that could have been easily escalated if you would have asked for one of our managers who would have looked in to the case. It is true that we are nearly full for good number of years and until the April 2019 but if not same day, we would have changed your room when available.

The bottle of water is given for free on arrival and the tap water in Malta is potable as there is nothing wrong with it except that the taste may differ as it does to each country.

For the shop inside the main building not accepting credit cards its a news to us, as it has been installed ages ago and anyone can pay any amount if out of cash.

Again we thank you for staying with us and even if you do not chose Ramla again, we are happy that you may visit our lovely island again.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We stayed here for 10 days on half board basis. We had booked a suite to have extra room and were pleasantly surprised to find that we also had a kitchenette in addition to the separate bedroom and two bathrooms. The benefits of the kitchenette were having a full sized fridge/freezer as well as the mini-bar in the bedroom, and having crockery and cutlery and a proper sink to wash up in. I did take my own tea towel which was just as well as one was not provided so don't know how you were supposed to dry your pots! The room was very good - the bed and seating were comfortable and we had a huge double balcony, but we could not sunbathe on it as no sun until about 6pm. Not much of a problem as we went to the pool area to do any sunbathing we wanted to do. The views of Gozo and Comino were spectacular. The room was cleaned every day, but our sheets were only changed after we had been there a week, yet the towels (which we were happy to keep using and hung up as requested) seemed to be changed every day. The cleaning staff a must be given instructions about what to supply everyday, but surely they must have realised that we were using our own coffee and tea and it was therefore not necessary to leave more tea/coffee pods each day, so we ended up with a shop full! Minor things, but a bit annoying and unneccesary. I do wonder though if we were cheated a bit by having paid the extra on booking to have a suite and yet many people seem to have been upgraded at no extra cost?

We didn't find the reception staff very helpful at all and at times were quite brusque. However the ladies in the on-site shop could not have been more helpful and pleasant and the shop sells just about everything you might need.

Now, for the reason I could not give this hotel 5* The food!! Breakfast was good with lots of choice to suit each and every nationality and taste (not quite sure who eats rice pudding for breakfast though!). At dinner, the starters and puddings were good, but we never managed to get a main course that was HOT!! I appreciate that it is very difficult to get this right, bearing in mind the number of people to cater for, all at different times, but was something that became an issue for us. We tried to 'time' it, so that we weren't eating the first lot of food that came out of the kitchen ready for 6.30 kick off but a second lot which we did find slightly warmer. Breakfast was similar but one way to get round this was to have the freshly made omelettes. One night we ate at the Italian restaurant on site -Piatto Nero - as it was my birthday which we had to pay for, with an 8 euro discount per person for being half board and that was wonderful with very attentive and pleasant staff. Best meal we had during our stay. If you want a small snack for lunch, go to the kiosk up the road on the way to the bus stop, which has great food and very reasonably priced.

As has been previously been said many times, it is in an isolated place, which we actually liked for the peace and quiet, but not much going on in the area. The bus service is very good and can get you to just about anywhere on the island.

Would we go again to Ramla Bay?? Not sure!!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Theburrs

Dear Theburrs

Thank you for finding time to write your review.

We are glad that beside some issues that you mentioned and which we took note of, your stay with us was a pleasant one.

Hoping that next time you chose Malta and even if you don't chose Ramla for your stay, that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you once again to see the constant new changes and improvements we have embarked on.