The one star is purely for the view from the living room sit out. The ground floor bedroom sit out too has good view but no privacy due to adjacent buildings with guests on every floor. The master bedroom in the first floor faces the portico and the building entrance, so no view or privacy.
Now let us come to the cons. Frankly there are far too many cons & if I explain everything it would be too long. so will try to give short inputs :
1. Current supply is always low voltage & there is nothing being done for that. Due to this the fan rotation is around 10rpm and so at night you will feel stuffy inside the room.
2. Outside there will be beautiful weather with wonderful mist and cool breeze. But you can't enjoy it at night because the windows have no net and there are too many insects in all sizes and shapes. The fault here is not the insects, that is expected in a hill station like this but the lack of nets which doesn't let you enjoy the climate. Still we had no option but to open the windows for atleast 30mins
before sleep to get some air circulation & to start sleeping and all of us including the kids got many insect bites over the 3 days.
3. The water heater is tiny sized(3ltrs capacity!) and the one in the master bedroom had a hose come out loose, weirdly the water heater was in the bedroom and so half the bedroom was totally wet. So no running hot water, when I spoke to Mr Nibu he told me that the previous guest has done this. I wonder which guest would climb up and yank out the inlet hose. He refused to do anything saying it was a sunday & so he can't find anyone to fix. And till tuesday he didn't send anyone to fix it.
4. So we had to come to the gr.flr bathroom for the hot water with the tiny bucket in hand and at a time could get only 1/4 bucket lukewarm water. For this Mr Nibu had a gem of a reply asking me " why do you need full bucket of hot water, I have never seen any guest who asked for full bucket hot water". I clarified that I was not talking about buckets but running hot water where one can have bath for 10minutes. He didn't have any solution for this.
5. the steps to the first floor are so uneven, initially they are they are too steep and then too shallow.
6. FOOD: This is not the typical homestay were they cook fresh and serve you hot. This property and a few along side this have subcontracted to a common caterer, so food, apart from the horrible taste is not fresh or home made, just the usual resort type frozen & recooked type.
Taste is HORRIBLE! Nothing more to add, too pricey for the unpalatable food.
A small eg. 1st time in our life, after ordering chicken curry, we had sambhar and chutney wasting the ordered chicken curry, not that the sambhar and chutney were good but simply because we were unable to eat plain idli. you can have better food outside in the many eateries in town for far lesser price.
7. Sleep quality poor, apart from the stuffy bedroom, the mattress was lumpy, pillows uncomfortable, gave us neck pain, very thin curtains woke us up early.
8. Literally no housekeeping done, even if you give the keys and ask them to clean the rooms they would just pour water on the bathroom floor, wouldn't even mop it and leave everything else as it is. so when you return after a day's outing you will return to the wet bathroom floor, uncleaned room.
9. CHEAP ATTITUDE of the caretaker and Mr Nibu, who i guess is the middle man who runs a service industry over phone. We have been to many places but such a CHEAP & NEGATIVE personalities we have never encountered. One can never explain in words their attitude, it is always felt in every action and word of theirs, it can only be experienced. DONT expect any type of customer service or empathy for our plight from them. Period!
10. On the 1st day of check in as soon as you get the key and enter the building, before you even take a look at the property or before they send a boy for luggage, or anything else, first thing they'll ask for is the balance amount. No welcome, no small talk, no customer care just always money minded talk which is so cheap and revolting.
11. The only mirror for dressing up is in the rear of the bathroom door, so after bath you have breakfast, come back to the bathroom, stand on the wet floor for grooming, ladies have to keep their cosmetics inside the washbasin bowl, disgusting.
12. for kerala lovers who appreciate the typical kerala type wooden ceiling, lovely wooden fixtures and heavy wooden furniture, nothing to please the eye. No authentic kerala touch either in the building or in food.
13. Absolutely no storage space or cupboard. I have never seen a place where there is not a single cupboard. There is a plastic table in the living, 3 plastic chairs for the sit out, 1 center table in the gr.flr bedroom. a tiny miniscule cloth hanger each in the 2 bedrooms is all the storage area you get. All the used clothes and to be reused clothing you have to just pile on your suitcase kept on the floor.
So many more cons and i simply feel tired to even think, recall & list out here. Just thinking about their attitude, negativity and response drains me.
So to sum it up- Just avoid, don't go.
Vagamon is a very lovely place, fantastic landscape, rolling meadows, beautiful weather everything about vagamon we loved, even better than wayanad and munnar and you pls don't let this homestay spoil your experience. Go elsewhere and enjoy!
Pine view situated in a beautiful location with a mind blowing view of pine forests..the area is calm and you can enjoy your stay peacefully. The rooms are clean and well furnished.kitchen facility available..camp fire was a memorable experience.food was good..overall a stay worth the money we pay.go for it