“Very nice”
Review of Candi Borobudur

Candi Borobudur
Reserve with
Candi Borobudur is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 66 Restaurants in Bussum
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2018

We were invited by a colleague. This restaurant is very nice and it was the first time i try an indonesian restaurant.
We ate different meals with more or less spicy. All was very good including the dessert with coconut.
I just can recommend this restaurant. I cannot tell about the bill I did not see...........

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

We had a great experience here. It looked to be very authentic Asian food. It was very tasteful. A good first experience for this type of food. The waiters we had that evening were very young and green. A bit out of synch with timing ordering and checking in, but I am sure they will learn as they work there. They were friendly.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Candi Borobudur

I have long wanted to see Borobudur and was excited when the opportunity to visit finally presented itself.

I rented a car and driver and set off from Yogyakarta around 8.15am and was there by 9.30am and arrived just ahead of bus loads of tourists but not early enough to avoid them.

As you enter the complex you are assailed by hawkers trying to sell junk and tat. To be fair they leave you along with a simple but firm NO!.

You are the presented with two signs one directing Indonesians to a ticket office and another directing Foreigners to a separate ticket office. If you are not Indonesian then be prepared to be ripped off by yet another example of outrageous price differentiation. Non Indonesians will pay more than 10 times what Indonesians will pay. I find this type of pricing structure outrageous and such a scheme in Europe would be roundly and rightly criticised.

I bought a joint ticket at $40 which allowed me to visit both Borobudur and Prambenan. Again the price in dollars is converted to Rupiah at the sites exchange rate and is odd as I have seen signs all over Indonesia which suggest that Rupiah must be the currency used. Why use dollars when you have a perfectly satisfactory local currency.

Ticket secured you are provided with a sarong which must be worn throughout your visit.This is after all a religious site.

You then pass through checks including airport style checks that are ineffective. You then enter the grounds.

It's about 1km from the ticket office to the steps of The Temple. I climbed the steps to the top along with now many hundreds of others. There were so many people that it was difficult to take photographs without some getting in the way. There is also very little shade

Despite the masses it was rather magical and I spent 90 minutes wandering around taking pictures whenever I could. Someone had a drone and I have to say these are more of a nuisance than selfie sticks and should be banned from all tourist sites. They are intrusive and irritating with an incessant buzzing which destroys the atmosphere.

The exit from the Temple is not the same route as you enter and at the end of a long path you return your sarong. You can go to the museum which I did but it was not very well laid out and rather dull. It could be so much better and indeed,for the entrance fee, should be magnificent and air conditioned! It was interesting to read about the history of the site and its many refurbishments. I left wondering how much of what I had seen was original.

As I left I passed a small fish pond filled with Koi carp struggling to swim and survive in very shallow water. The pond was being refilled but several larger fish were floundering on their sides unable to swim. It was unpleasant and wholly unnecessary.

Following the exit signs I made my way back to the car through a market selling T shirts and souvenirs. It was huge and took "exiting via the gift shop" to a whole new level.

I was pleased I went and pleased to have seen Borobudur. I would not however return and think that so much more is required for the outrageous entrance fee charged to foreign tourists.

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Six of us for dinner. Service is always prompt and professional and friendly. The rijstafel is excellent with a good mix of dishes for everyone . The satay is amazing. Nice clean place with good food. Would recommend if you're in the neighbourhood.

Reviewed 4 April 2016

Bussum's Candi Borobudur features in a list of the top 50 Indonesian restaurants in The Netherlands. Deservedly so!

This restaurant is beautifully decorated, has charming staff and serves better food than any of the Indonesian restaurants I have tried in Amsterdam.

We ordered a rijstafel for four, which was more than enough for five people. Every dish was delicious (and there were lots of them!)

A really pleasant evening in Bussum. We will definitely return to the Candi Borobudur.