“Interesting”

Ranked #3 of 68 Restaurants in Oosterhout
Price range: US$25 - US$32
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Merlin's trend: A unique and contemporary formula. The Magic Bites menu. Unlimited choose of the 85 most popular bistro dishes. We serve these top dishes in small portions at a fixed price. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday € 29.50 per person. Friday, Saturday and Sunday € 32.50 per person. For the little ones among us € 16.50. Early-bird Action € 25,00! Are you leaving early? For € 25.00 (adults) and € 12.50 (children) you will eat unlimited on Tuesdays to Fridays between 17.00-20.00. For € 27.50 (adults) and € 12.50 (children) you will eat unlimited on Saturday from 17:00 to 20:00 and on Sunday between 15:00 and 19:00. Please mention this at your time of booking.
Reviewed 15 August 2015

First ime in this restaurant and indeed in this very interesting type of restaurant. Everything was good - quality of the food, service, wine, decor. It's a wonderful way of trying out different dishes that you don't know.

Reviewed 20 July 2015

I've seen the raving reviews, but honestly: this place is nothing special.
First off: the atmosphere is nice. I like the decoration and (unlike many other restaurants in Holland) the service is really good.

My problem is the good. Mediocre at best.
The concept is simple: all you can eat for a fixed price, but in 'tapas style'. We see this a lot in Holland in Sushi restaurants: you can order 2 small dishes per person per round. And you can have as many rounds as you want.
There is plenty of choice when it comes to the dishes. Appetizers, main course, dessert: enough choice. And yes the portions are really small. Very small, but that's ok, since you can order as often as you want (fixed price).
So this is all ok. But once I started eating the bites I was disappointed. Some examples:
- fish cookies: very salty and no fish taste. Actually it tasted and looked like some paste that was fried. Not good
- ribs: the membrane was still on the ribs. Everyone who prepares ribs know that the membrane should be removed before preparation. Not good
- potato croquettes: no taste whatsoever. Could have been anything. Not good
- etc.
Some dishes were ok, like the asian style chicken. But mostly it was disappointing.
We were with a group, we had a good time, so I'm good with it. But would I return to have a nice dinner: no. Enough better options in Oosterhout.

1  Thank robtk
Reviewed 16 July 2015

They have a very wide range of 'bites' , fish, meat and vegetarian. All little dishes of deliciousness. Some of the best food I've eaten so far. The restaurant itself is build in medieval style, a very nice atmosphere. I defenitely reccomment this restaurant to everyone.

Reviewed 10 May 2015

Great place and it was packed. This certifies this place is doing something very good. I think it is the formula that per table you can tick a certain number of dishes per round. Fixed price for an all you can eat concept. But there are limits to the number of plates per round. But no limitations of rounds....... Any dish I ate was really good. Also nice selection of wine, but their house pouring is already very nice.
Service is perfect and I may make a compliment to Ms Evelyne(?). She was the waitress of our table and seldom I experienced such nice and polite service. She should get an award.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

Try the Magic Bites... the best out of everything. Order 2 little dishes and as many times as you like. Order fries, rice or bread as a side dish. A perfecta All you can Eat concept.

1  Thank Paola_van_Vugt