“Avoid”

Price range: US$14 - US$24
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Situated in an old town house in St Julian’s, Peperoncino has a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.Inside is decorated in a traditional manner with limestone walls and elegant décor, while the outside terrace area offers fantastic views over Balluta Bay.The food is a blend of Maltese, Sicilian and Italian with other international flavours merged, so combinations are both varied and interesting.
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

The only night we didn’t book in advance, decided to walk in instead. Had the “chefs special asparagus with cheese sauce and crispy Parma ham”. It looked like it had sat under a heat lamp for two days. Sauce had a skin on it, asparagus was over cooked and tasteless, Parma ham non existent. My partner had the pasta with prawns and chorizo main. Utterly bland, what few prawns there were I would guess came from a freezer bag. I had chicken stuffed with figs. Again, tasteless. Very disappointed and will not be returning here. So bad in fact we didn’t order dessert, went to the ice cream vendor a few metres away instead.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank skifan01
Write a ReviewReviews (1 335)

65 - 69 of 1 335 reviews

Reviewed 2 May 2018

Nice place to have dinner with friends. Food was good and service nice too. Will go there some other time when its more quiet.

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank lauraz552018
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

We ate at the Peperoncino restaurant yesterday evening. We were invited by a couple of friends who had eaten the week before and they were favourably impressed.

Its not a place I would have ever chosen to go, because its dècor tells me that its a place for tourists. Clear varnish pine doors and exposed stone is not the sort of ambience I would normally go for unless I’m eating wild rabbits in the country. This place is in St.Julians, in the heart of the tourist area of Malta. There are tables outside, on the broad stairs and its reminiscent of similar restaurants in Athens. But this one has a sea view.

I had a mushroom soup which stood its ground without cream added in. It tasted like something you would make at home. My main was a rock fish served whole and I enjoyed dissecting it and eating its milky white meat.

My wife had fresh asparagus and our hosts had ravioli. Everybody said Yum.

For mains my wife had a lovely sea bream which was really fresh, like mine. The others had duck breast and a lovely looking French rack of lamb. Again, everybody was delighted with their order.

I did not have dessert but the others ordered a home made Tiramisu’ and a Pecan pie.

I did not pay but reckon the food cost around 50 euro per head.

Peperoncino may be a touristy place bit its certainly not a tourist trap.

Well recommended.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank gsapiano
Reviewed 29 April 2018

We had two excellent meals here. The first night we had 2 chicken dishes which were well cooked and well presented. The second night, I had rock fish, which the manager/owner(?) expertly filleted for me at the table - wish I could do that. Husband had fillet steak which was cooked to perfection. Both nights we shared the chocolate fondant dessert. The wine choice was good too.

Both nights the restaurant was very busy so I would recommend booking ahead.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Nomad59
Reviewed 25 April 2018

Had a few days in Malta mid April. Booked a table by email before leaving the UK as I know it's a very popular restaurant. We ate inside and the atmosphere is really good. Plenty of very attentive staff. I had The Suckling pig which was outstanding with perfectly cooked veg. Wine is a reasonable price but would like to see a few more Maltese wines. Will definitely be going back a few times on our return in June.

Date of visit: April 2018