All reviews a lake view room self catering coast country restaurant staff half board hotel grounds lake district shearings hotels lovely location deluxe room lovely walk weekend break minute walk into keswick evening meal plenty of choice stunning views a lovely stay
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

So we stayed for 2 nights in June, this was my birthday treat from my husband and to say we were disappointed was an understatement. This was not a cheap stay so you would expect decent quality rooms. We arrived Friday night and basically went straight out into Keswick, the room looked ok, a bit tired but ok.

Came back late and went to bed, husband got up in the morning to find the shower broke, was just hung there so not able to get a proper wash. One of the glasses in the bathroom had bright red lipstick all round it and there was also a dead daddy long legs on the bedroom wall. Not impressed. Told reception about this and the man on reception just wrote it in a book without saying anything.

Went out for the day walking and came back late again to find that the shower had not been fixed, the glass in the bathroom was cleaned but we still had the resident daddy long legs.

Told reception the next morning when checking out and at least she did apologise but that was all.

So on the Monday I wrote a complaint to Coast and Country hotels who run the hotel, received an email back to say they had received this but we are now just short of two weeks and still not heard back from anyone, which is bad service in itself. Put it this way we will not stay in one of their hotels ever again.
BE WARNED!!!!!

3  Thank 645donnad
Carl S, General Manager at The Derwentwater Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Thank you for your review, we do read and respond to all reviews and I assure you that our customer care department will get back to you in due course. I am aware of your complaint and we will be dealing with it.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Even though I emailed this hotel (having booked a room via booking.com) to tell them that I would be bringing my small dog (and I had no reply), I was charged an extra £15 PER NIGHT on arrival. I challenged it as I stayed last year with no such charge. He just interrupted me and told me that I should have been charged! Not a great start.

The hotel is deteriorating in my view (seeing it one year on). Ironically, we stayed in the same room (room 1). I don't need fancy decor but I dislike a damp smell that persists, wallpaper loose on the ceiling and walls and an overall tired looking appearance.

The staff? Apathetic would be my best description. They didn't seem to really care. Maybe they don't. Nobody asked me how our stay had been - during our time or when we checked out. But they did their job when you asked for something I suppose. There was not much joy around.

This hotel is going to have a problem because the competition for decent, pet friendly accomodation in Keswick is high. This hotel will only survive at a low price and that's not a long term proposition. The one thing going for it is the location by the lake. But when you wander down there on a summer's evening, steer clear of the hideously overflowing dog poo bin. We stayed two nights and it was never emptied - much to the flies' delight.

A final factual moan. Two fire alarms at 8am on two consecutive mornings. The first requiring evacuation. I honestly do appreciate that these things can happen and we have to react accordingly; but twice in two days? At the same time? Did chef burn the sausages? I wouldn't know because we breakfasted round the corner at the lovely Chalet cafe, which is warm, friendly, delicious and great value.

Sorry Derwentwater Hotel. You kept my loyalty for a year but I have no intention of booking again. With so much acommodation to choose from, I'll certainly vote with my feet.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 at all costs.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank HillLover_13

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, it does state on booking.com that there is a surcharge for pets and this was also the case last year.
I appreciate your comments however since last year we have invested heavily in to the public areas and we have also got rooms being done later this year.
I am sorry that you felt the team were apathetic however I will look in to your points raised.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night. Nice location. Paid an extra £30 for the dogs and the heating was on full blast when we got in the room!they were so hot because the windows were also closed when we arrived, I took them to the lake at 4am as I was so worried!The shower was barely a trickle.
We also made a very bad choice deciding to eat here aswell, I can say this is the worse meal I have ever had in the Lake District. Our side portion of wedges came 30 mins before the meal, they forgot to put chicken in my partners chicken curry and my omelette was tiny with 3 salad leaves, we went into Keswick to get something else to eat. Very expensive mistake. There wasn’t a chance we would have breakfast in this hotel £10.99 per person, probably be lucky if there was any bread!Obviously we will not be returning to this hotel

2  Thank AHSW1

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, I am sorry that there were issues that affected your stay with us. I am unsure as to how the heating would have been on in the room as it has been turned off since the end of May. I apologise about the mix up with the food, there were 2 curries on order and one was a vegetarian, unfortunately as they left the kitchen at the same time the 2 were mixed, however I am aware that we resolved the issue promptly as I was dealing with it myself. Once again sorry for the issues you encountered and I will ensure these are passed on to the relevant persons.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

First of all Reception Staff were spot on and very helpful, they are being let down by the owners and cleaning staff!

First room had body hair in the bath, long dark hair on the bed under a towel and a used damp towel hanging in the wardrobe!

Raised this with the staff and apparently we were upgraded, the attached photos are of the upgraded room. Again body hair in the bath, on the walls and side of the bath. There were lumps out of the walls, damp patches, it was generally filthy.
One positive was that the bed appeared clean.
Staff arranged for bathroom to be cleaned the result of which was not impressive as there was still body hair on the wall of the bathroom.
The safe did not work, reception had to give me the master key, TV only provided radio entertainment as it would not tune in!
Breakfast just alright, I did hear a few rumblings as there was a queue of customers waiting for staff to replenish bacon, eggs and beans!!
Bread was not topped up until tray empty, had to ask for tea and coffee as staff ran off their feet.
Due to issues with booking and rooms staff gave us breakfast and a cocktail on the house of which I am appreciative.
I wish we just left and stayed somewhere else.

3  Thank Turnkey88

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that these issues marred your stay with us however I am glad that the issues got dealt with. I shall pass your comments on to the head housekeeper to investigate.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Crap bar service, one girl trying to serve the bar and wait tables on hundreds of customers. Plenty of staff elsewhere but unhelpful. Took 30 mins just to get a drink. Do not go to this hotel. Worn out hotel and staff.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank PaoloTheDark

Thank you for your review, although I understand your frustrations I do not really appreciate the way you have worded it. At no time have we ever had hundreds of people in the bar. Sometimes the bar can be busier than expected however we do pull together as a team and try to ensure that everyone gets the best service possible, I am sorry that this was not the case on this occasion.

Kind Regards