“Out of this world!”

Price range: US$133 - US$133
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Michelin-starred Restaurant. 4 AA Rosette Restaurant. AA 5 Star Rooms. "This is an extraordinary place, a true one-off. Unbeatable."- Alastair Sawday's. The Black Swan is dynamic with a truly creative and innovative team developing new ideas from a constantly refreshed palate of produce which we grow and forage ourselves. Guests experience something unique - an intimate reflection of our character, our place and our lives which is in essence "Oldstead Now". Stylishly grounded in tradition and culture yet cut through with a modern earthy, exuberant creativity and the occasional glimpse of eccentricity.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It was with some trepidation that we arrived at the Black Swan. I had read some very poor reviews here on Trip Advisor about customer service and was concerned. No need! From the moment we arrived until we left, we were treated with professionalism, courtesy, and above all genuine friendliness. And then there was the food! Oh boy! I have had tasting menus elsewhere which were good but this surpassed everything I had had before. We were also impressed by the depth of knowledge of the servers in relation to each wine that accompanied the courses.
The accommodation was good and the room was very quiet. It would be lovely to be able to sit outside the garden room in the summer but not on a cold rainy April day!
Yes, this is not a cheap place so start saving up and book now for 6 months time. I booked last October!

Write a ReviewReviews (1 100)

33 - 37 of 1 100 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited for my wifes birthday and decided to also book a room .. wow ! the bedroom and bathroom were superb , nice toiletries huge bath and shower...then to the food ... i had informed them earlier about a food intolerance and was delighted when we got our individual menu that mine had a couple of different items from my wifes ... the whole experience from start to finish was one of excellent service , delicious food , wine some of which we had never heard of !! (big thanks to Tom for his explanations and descriptions ) ...The staff are attentive but not intrusive , very knowledgeable and look like a real team .. fine dining at its finest , well done Black Swan you deserve all the accolades

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited and stayed at The Black Swan for my boyfriend's 30th Birthday this Easter weekend. Even before we got there the staff had been so incredible with my queries about having a bit allergy and they were so accommodating. Our room was so beautiful and cosey. The staff were beyond lovely and friendly. We even met Tommys Mum which was brilliant. The wine selection was fantastic with so many to choose from. Then there was the food which I can only describe as the best we have ever eaten. Every course was insanely good. The staff were so knowledagble about every course. The nut free options were equally as stunning. You have to put this on your list to visit, you won't be disappointed. We will definitely be back! Thanks Tommy and all the staff!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I have thought long and hard before writing this review. There are so many plus points but also a couple of down sides. I'll start with the negatives. The first was when we booked. I went with my married friends, we booked 2 rooms with dinner and breakfast. Although I am well used to having to pay more than half price as a single person I was astounded that I had to pay the same amount as my friends. I appreciate having to pay the same for the room but I really object to having to pay for 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts when I only had 1.

Secondly when we arrived after a 300 mile journey we were slightly surprised that the pub side of the establishment was not open. The web site it perfectly clear on check in times for the rooms but it would have been nice to have been able to get a drink and maybe a bar snack.

The rest of the review is all good.

My room was amazing. Clean, extremely comfortable, tea and coffee facilities, biscuits, with fresh milk in a mini fridge, plenty of cold water, lovely comfy bed, excellent bathroom with a huge bath and separate walk in shower.

We went across to the pub for dinner at 7. We were offered cocktails and given our menus. Mine was slightly different from my friends as I have a fish allergy. We were taken to our table upstairs and I was slightly surprised at how modern the restaurant was given the age of the pub.

My friends chose to have the wine package with the food which they said complimented the food in every way possible.

The staff were second to none. Every course and the accompanying wine was explained and nothing was too much trouble.

The food was beautifully presented and the tastes were amazing. We all ate things that we had never eaten before and had combinations that you would never imagine would go well together.

After a good night's sleep we went back for breakfast. Again this was fantastic. A lovely choice of hot and cold food all freshly prepared and served with a friendly smile.

Check out was smooth and again by a lovely member of staff.

I am lucky enough to be going back in September with family from Australia who are really looking forward to the whole experience.

2  Thank AddlestoneTricia
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our fourth visit to the Black Swan in a few years and the best so far. The menu has been refined to a point where every ingredient adds something special and the flavours are delicious and the ‘vegetable toast’ that rounds off the meal is an innovative surprise. The staff are lovely and the rooms comfortable. Breakfast is traditional and beautifully cooked. Go with friends for a great experience.