Chalalan Ecolodge(Madidi National Park)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsjungle and pampascombo tourpink dolphinsother companieslocal communitiesla pazthe riverguide luisoffice stafflas pampaskanoo toursday tourgreat companygreat experiencemosquito nethis knowledgefeed the animals
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

We had an incredible time on the 3 day Pampas tour. We saw a huge array of wildlife, including pink dolphins, several species of monkey, catfish, piranhas, caimans, snakes and frogs.

Wilman was our guide and he was absolutely fantastic - very friendly, very helpful, and happy to accommodate your needs and tailor the tour to your preferences.

I would recommend going Piranha fishing (which is optional). It was great fun and we each caught Piranhas that the chefs cooked for us for lunch that day.

The lodge itself is amazing. Wonderful rooms (we had a private hut). Very comfy bed, clean bathrooms with good showers.

I highly recommend this company who take great care of the environment and don’t feed the monkeys etc. like some other companies do.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Mashaquipe E, Counter at Mashaquipe Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your comments.

We are improving each year our services into our lodges all our guests feel very comfortable and happy, of course taking care the enviroment a good and very important point for us.
All the staff is always ensuring that you have a good stay and enjoy all the nature.

We hope to see you some day

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

The best experience of my travels and probably my life.

Where do I start? Mashaquipe was recommended to myself and my boyfriend by every other traveler we met along the way and it completely outdid our expectations.

Firstly the guides were amazing. Literally all of them we met were so friendly, happy, welcoming, knowledgeable and caring which for me was the most important thing as I really believe people make your trip. A massive shout out to Ismael our guide... one of the sweetest people I’ve ever met plus he really really looked after us while we were there!! Also to Alvero (his nephew) who came along with us!

Secondly, I’d like to thank Salim (Mashaquipe’s manger) who was so kind and informative on our arrival, again such a sweetheart and speaks very good English for those wondering.

The lodge and catering were beyond amazing. We really didn’t expect to have such great food and clean, charming accommodation considering being in the jungle. I honestly can’t praise these points enough!

The whole trip & experience was incredible. Both the jungle and las Pampas were amazing but in very different ways; I would recommend doing both to have an idea about the different types of environments and wildlife. Ismael (and I imagine all the guides) are so knowledgeable they literally would do anything for you just the nicest people to experience this with ❤️

Another thing which broke my heart with cuteness is that the chofe’s collect you from rurrenabaque’s airport with a welcome sign with your names written on it- I just thought this was a really nice touch.

The last thing I want to mention, is that, some of the money you pay for the experience also goes towards local families in the jungle in order to help maintain their way of life and the land they live on. For me this was quite touching.

When I return to the jungle, I wouldn’t even think of going with any other company!

Thanks for everything Mashaquipe team! I’ll miss you a lot!

Hollie

Hi Hollie,

Me, Selim and Ismael are happy for your lovely comments to all our company and staff that I am sure is also happy to had during your stay in our lodges.
Of course I just remember you, Pere, Amy, Jennifer and Elisa...all you lovely people.... I sent you some pictures that I took during your stay in the jungle because I couldn't go to pampas with you.

Take care you and Pere.... I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Just back from 6 days in the jungle with Mashaquipe and had the time of my life! Spent 3 days in the jungle (2 in eco lodge 1 in jungle camp under the stars - magical) then 3 days at the Pampas lodge to discover the Wetlands.

Highlight was Ismael our guide, he’s the best guide I’ve ever had! He was so attentive, patient and knowledgeable. We were like toddlers with our lives completely in his hands and he cared for us and went above and beyond. Ismael taught me how to photograph wildlife high in the trees through my binoculars, answered endless questions with enthusiasm and catered to each group members individual needs, i cannot recommend him highly enough!

We saw so much wildlife it was unreal, ate like kings and slept comfortably under our mosquito nets. It’s the jungle so there are spiders, bats and mosquitos, but that’s all part of the experience!

Each member of the Mashaquipe team was personable and friendly throughout the trip. We loved the 3 days and were all very sad to leave, I would follow Ismael through any jungle in complete confidence.

Thank you Team Mashaquipe for this incredible life experience!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo

Hi,

We appreciate your comments to our company, specially to our staff who is working everyday for you to have a good stay.
We are sure that your guide Ismael was happy to have you showing you and explaining about forest and wildlife, he was happy sharing all his knowledge about the jungle.

Thanks a lot and be careful.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

My family of 4 (kids aged 8 and 10) did the 3 day/2 night Pampas tour in mid Feb/2018, and were very happy with every aspect.

Our Guide - Ever - was fantastic to say the least. From the 3hr drive to the Pampas where he spotted 4 sloths hiding in the trees (from a moving vehicle), to his animal spotting abilities while on the river, we were constantly amazed. He grew up in the jungle and truly appreciates the wildlife. Our kids had a thousand questions for him on a daily basis and he was always happy to answer.

The Tour - We tried to keep a running tally of all of the wildlife we saw (it exceeded 35) over the 3 days, which was definitely a pleasant surprise for us. Highlights were the sightings of toucan, black caiman, yellow squirrel monkeys in our boat, large owls, and of course the pink river dolphins. The company (and especially our guide) did everything possible to ensure our days were filled with wildlife, it was amazing how 3-4 hours could fly by on the river boat.

The Food - Absolutely excellent. There was plenty of food provided at each meal, especially the large lunch. Rice, chicken, beef, grilled veggies etc., all flavoured very nicely. Lots of fresh juice each meal, and fresh drinking water whenever you needed it.

The Accommodation - If you are expecting 5 star, this is not the right tour for you, remembering you are in the jungle/pampas. The beds were comfortable, mosquito nets are provided, and the rooms were cleaned each day. We had a bat in our room (which went away) and some frogs in the bathroom, and chalked it up as all part of the experience. It was really nice to listen to the sounds (cicadas, howler monkeys) of the pampas as we fell asleep.

Overall - Our family had an excellent time on this tour (one of the highlights of our 6.5 month trip), and a big part was Ever our guide. We still talk about all of the wildlife saw. We also lucked out that we experienced very few mosquitoes, even though it was rainy season. The office staff was very prompt in their replies and were organized with our arrival and departures, no issues at all.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

Hi Myles Family,

We are happy that you had enjoyed your 3 days in Pampas watching and joining to the nature with our experienced guide Eber, I am sure that he pleased to have you and spotting all the wildlife along the road and river for you and your children had a good time.
Thanks to all your comments is what our staff is improving each day their services into our lodges, they know that they are making a good job.
It was a pleasure to have you all of you in our lodges, if some day you think back, we will be hoping you with open arms.

Take care all of you :)

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

I did the 5 day jungle and pampas tour. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros: Great guide (Juan) who knew many indigenous uses of the jungle plants, beautiful flora and fauna, tasty food, welcome juice drinks, overall nice lodges and rooms, fun activities and nice hiking.

Cons: Got sick on Day 2 as did my wife, They forgot about our airport transfer resulting in us almost missing our flight, campground was swarming with bees (only a con if you're scared or allergic), bats in the room at the pampas lodge that pooped everywhere.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Mashaquipe E, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Mashaquipe Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Dear Douglas H:

Thanks a lot for your comments and your pros and cons about the service, that will help us to keep working have to offer better service to the following guests. Our guide Juan says that he feel very greaful with you!!!

It was a pity that you got sick but once you were at the office we didnot know that you whad that problem, becouse we provide medical assistance when this things happen and even each guide and in both lodges there is medicine available. We will be more attentive next time with other people.

We feel very sorry about the airport tranfer sometimes there are some problems about comunication that for sure we will improve.

About the bees and bats, we think that all the animals are part of this ecosistem and also is part of the experience on the tour. We realy want to mention that being a community based company and a certified tour operator in sustainable practices in tourism (ecological) we cant permit us to kill and try to exterminate this animals that have an special rol in the nature. altough we try very hard to keep specialy bats away in order to provide better service but it almost impossible to get rid of every single bat and bee around the lodge. But we will be more careful about this and double check the lodges before people arrives.

Thanks to visit the Bolivian Amazon with Mashaquipe!