“Not what it was”

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #9 of 23 Restaurants in Fermoy
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

I have eaten at the Grand Hotel over the last few years and the food is definitely worse. The helpings are still large but the quality has diminished. Very expensive for average food.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 25 September 2018

My wife had Mussels followed by Fish & Chips, i had Soup followed by Fish & Chips and they were very nice. all that for 32.40 Euros.
We have been here before so we know it is good value.
It is still 2 for 1 on main meals, you pay full price for your stater and sweet.
You need to buy a drink each and that can be any drink, soft or alcoholic.
Then you can either have a starter and a main or a main and sweet and get your 2 mains for the price of 1.
The Grand have been doing this for 6 years now, so well done The Grand.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

We recently attended the Grand hotel for my sister in laws bday. We had a private room for the event. We had a great night from start to finish. The menus had been personalised for the bday girl herself and had plenty of options. I had soup to start and chicken for mains. For dessert I ordered apple pie. The soup was great and the brown bread was very tasty and was not in short supply. I was the only one for chicken but I think some others were a bit jealous. The staff came round with extra beef during the mains and I felt it would be rude not to try when offered it. Beef was lovely and tender as was the steak which I also had a try of. The dessert was lovely home made apple pie and custard, you can’t go wrong but after such a huge meal I found it a struggle to finish. We finished the night in the bar with a few drinks. Staff were excellent all round. Will be back.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 14 August 2018

We walked in for lunch and the attractive carvery had just opened. I asked if I could have a child's portion. The reply from the lady in chef's whites was rather aggressive, 'No! we don't do that'. She looked at us as if we were penny pinching tourists. The fact is I have a life limiting illness and cannot manage to eat full meals. I generally eat starter portions.My husband was going to order a full meal. The bad tempered, rude reply was totally unnecessary.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Christina M
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Large portions. Served nice and hot. Quality fresh produce. Good thing they don't have much choice on the menu means what they do they do freshly and do it well. If you want a second glass of wine with your meal order at the start as the staff vanish after bringing your food. 3 people 2 courses 1 beer, 1 wine & 1 rock shandy €105 sit in the bar or the restaurant same food and same price.

Date of visit: December 2017