Reviews (1 043)
1 043 results
All reviews leisure centre lovely hotel reception staff saturday night kids club course meal bar and restaurant staff were lovely self service weekend break food was lovely steam room town centre function room couldn't do enough hen party room was spotless
48 - 53 of 1 043 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Stayed here last night as I was attending the SEC marking conference nearby.

The good
-Staff at check in and check out were lovely, helpful and quick.
-Enormous Room
-2 bathrooms (one of them had a hot tub)
-Excellent water pressure in the shower
-The bed could fit 4 people
-Room was clean
-Breakfast was good
-Staff at breakfast were lovely.
-Swimming pool and hot tub on a hot day were welcomed

The bad
-No air conditioning in the rooms considering it was 31 degrees outside. The room was very warm all night and sleep quality could have been better. That said when I went up to the room there was a fan on so the hotel were doing their best with what they had.
-Service in the bar could be a bit better. I was waiting 15 mins for my order to be taken in the end i went up to the bar and ordered. Food was good and service after that was much improved.
-some bottled water in the room given the temperatures outside would have been welcome but there was a fountain in the gym that I used to refill mine.

Given that I only paid 86 euro for the room it was good value for money and I would return if I was on business in Athlone again.

Room Tip: Room 204 is massive.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank louise f
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We found this hotel to be ideally located beside the M6 Dublin to Galway motorway.The room was spacious clean, Wifi provided and tea making facilities.Staff were friendly and helpful.Unusually for Ireland we enjoyed temperatures of 30 degrees which helped to enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I visited the spa in the Athlone Springs Hotel with a friend a couple weeks ago and it was a very pleasant experience. We were greeted on arrival by Sarah and complimentary tea or coffee. We were shown to a comfortable waiting area and then we each had a massage followed by a manicure & pedicure respectively-all excellent. We spent about an hour in the pool, jacuzzi & sauna and the had what had been described as a ‘light ‘ lunch but which turned out to be a delicious and generous carvery meal. Altogether a very happy experience and amazingly inexpensive.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Foodie3108
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Stayed here recently with my partner for two nights. Check in was quick and warm and we found the room to be large, comfortable with a clean bathroom and huge powerful shower. General areas like the hallway and elevator were clean. Things took a turn for the worst when we went to the bar for our evening meal. We were seated by a manager and then waited for 19 minutes before we were given one menu. We then had to ask for another menu. We ordered drinks and waited 15 minutes before they arrived, having to ask for them- they arrived in hand with fingers on the rim- no tray and no beer mats. We then had to ask for our order to be taken- I ordered the hot spicy chicken wings and my partner ordered the chicken Caesar to start- the wings were swimming in standard sweet chilli sauce and no sign of celery sticks as described. The chicken in the Caesar salad was cold. We then had to ask for cutlery and water. I had the pork belly for mains which was quiet nice and my partner had the lamb burger which was bland and lacked any of the “fluff” typical to a 4-star hotel meal (tomatoes and onions in the salad perhaps). We had to ask for cutlery once again for our mains. Nobody checked on us during our meal and the staff didn’t seem to care- no eye contact with customers, and we watched at least three tables dissatisfied with the service during our meal. We never got asked if we wanted deserts so after 50 mins I went to the bar and ordered the sticky toffee pudding which was lovely. We sat with a drink after the meal and watched as 12 of the 17 tables in the bar needed to be cleared or cleaned while three barmen stood behind the bar chatting, drinking and watching the football while 8 people sat at the bar. When we came to order another drink the barman informed us that the bar closes at 10pm, seriously? We took another drink to our room, poured from a barman on his phone. The bar and floor itself is very small and could be easily manned by 3 staff but the service received is more similar to a cheap motel. The chandeliers in the bar need cleaning, the staff (and managers) uniforms are unkempt And they seem to lack any training, upselling techniques, service protocols or leadership. My experience in the bar made me lose faith in the staff so I decided to not avail of the massage therapists in the spa which I had planned on doing. Breakfast is a simple affair with slightly better service. The continental breakfast is laughable but the cooked Irish is palatable. My only suggestion would be to maybe invest in coffee pots to serve coffee in as opposed to tea pots. Overall the hotel is nicely situated so as to not suffer from town centre noises but the overall service is very disappointing. I would not recommend to others unless a serious shake up in the staff resulted in a change of the standards adhered to.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Really disappointing stay. No hot water in the shower on Friday night. Made a complaint Saturday and was told it would be fixed, only to endure another cold shower. Really poor and will not be staying there again

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends