Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
ZenHotels.com
R 3 122
RSP71
Colchester, United Kingdom

Superb, simply superb.

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 02 Oct 2022
A great hotel. Really well appointed, clean, comfortable and secure. It has character too, not just glass and steel.

There is a decent sized outdoor pool, with complimentary beds, towels and parasols. They serve snacks and drinks, which are reasonably priced.

The breakfast is excellent, with an abundance of choice, with coffee and egg dishes made to order - the rest is self service.

You can walk through the hotel to the entrance of the casino complex, or you can take a golf buggy if you want to go to the far side of the complex - Sun square.
Date of stay: September 2022
Room Tip: Adjoining rooms are available if required.
5.0 of 5 bubblesCleanliness
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Responded 09 Oct 2022
Good day RSP71,

Thank you very much you for the kind words on the hotel. We take great pride in our property and service and we are always grateful when guests give us feedback like this. I will certainly share this with the team as it prove highly motivation.

I hope you next trip is booked with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Palazzo Hotel.

Kind regards
getlstd_property_photo
    R 1 561
2.8 km from The Palazzo Montecasino
Free parking
Contact accommodation for availability.
4.6 km from The Palazzo Montecasino
6.2 km from The Palazzo Montecasino
Free parking
Contact accommodation for availability.
2.7 km from The Palazzo Montecasino
View more hotels in Magaliessig
Reviews (1 708)
1 708 results
1 170
1 170
All reviews monte casino beautiful hotel five star hotel montecasino concierge luxury joburg
Selected filters
19 - 24 of 1 708 reviews
Reviewed 26 September 2022 via mobile

It appears that the palazzo hotwl wants to charge guests for high end rates in exchange for no service. Ordered a simple Prego roll at the palazzo pools and 2 hours later it never arrived. If you are visiting rhe pool area, it is basically self service as there is zero assistance around if you need towels or wish to order food. For a hotel that charges 5 star rates, and provides this bad service, you are better off frequenting other establishments close by.

Date of stay: September 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Julian Joubert, General Manager at The Palazzo Montecasino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2022

Good day Guji_1978,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at he Palazzo Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apology for the service at the Pool area, I wish you had brought this to our attention during your stay so that we could have had the opportunity to rectify these short coming.

I hope that the pool experience did not damper your entire stay and that you were able to enjoy some of our other services and facilities.

I hope that this experience does not deter you from staying with us again as we look forward to welcoming you back to the Palazzo Hotel.

Kind regards
Julian Joubert
Rooms Division manager
The Palazzo.

Reviewed 17 September 2022

Have stayed at the Palazzo Hotel for one-week visits, 3 times this year in April, August and September 2022 and find the hotel location, facilities, restaurant, rooms and staff to be excellent, and most importantly I get a good nights sleep here! Overall, I would recommend this hotel as one of the most comfortable I have stayed in and look forward to my next visit in October.

Room tip: Recommend rooms facing the gardens as the view are lovely and no potential traffic noise.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2022

Having stayed at the Palazzo 3 times this year alone, with the most recent stay being the worst, I felt compelled to leave a review.

Every single stay has been met with some or other problem, ranging from toothpaste on the taps, half-eaten chocolate bars in the mini fridge, to the latest issue of plugs not working in the room.

Each stay has been more expensive than the last, almost as if it is policy to attempt to squeeze a bit more out of frequent guests each time. We recently stayed for 2 nights, with the 2nd night costing R200+ more than the first night. It is bad enough that the price quoted on the site is around R600 cheaper than what you will actually pay, but do you really need to charge R200+ for the 2nd night in the same room?

The rooms themselves are sadly falling into disrepair and feel "grubby" (peeling wallpaper, spotty/stained carpets, broken/loose light fittings, broken bed frame - just this visit). Not to mention the lack of adequate hot water and pressure, the disgusting level of black mold growing under the basin rim of the "marble" bathroom counter and the basin faucet that shoots water in every direction apart from straight down.

We have stayed for breakfast on each of our visits, and have, until this recent visit, thoroughly enjoyed the food. This last visit saw us eating the most mediocre, poorly prepared food I have ever seen at the Palazzo. The bacon was rock hard and dripping with oil, the scrambled eggs were watery and lacking colour, the chicken and lamb sausages were mostly cold and dry... but worst of all was the confetti-coloured salmon. The salmon is something I look forward to when staying at the Palazzo as it has always been the perfect shade of pink, fresh, silky smooth and packed with flavour. I avoided the salmon this trip since I am somewhat averse to silver/grey/blue "shredded" salmon - if it even was salmon. I witnessed another gentleman seemingly reach the same internalised aversion while he stared, frowning, at what was supposed to be fresh salmon. I will say, however, that the pastries were amazing, as they have always been.

I understand that there are times when the Medeo is busy, and we have sat down to breakfast in a near-fully packed restaurant, yet we did not wait more than a few seconds to be attended to. This last visit saw me rise from the table, having already started eating my surprisingly-cold breakfast, to go and ask if a waiter/waitress could take our coffee order - the arrival of our coffee was the last time we saw the waiter, and I was not about to ask the hostess for another waiter, only to have her snap her reply at me for a second time.

Our first visit to the Palazzo was nothing short of magical, but this last visit will be just that, our last visit to the Palazzo. I am not comfortable paying an exorbitant amount of money for 1 night in a room with mostly-frozen DSTV channels, landscaping/construction work for 6+ hours right outside our room (ground floor - restaurant facing), a dirty carpet, mold in the bathroom, broken light/bed fittings, poor water pressure/temperature, a dirty towel, plugs that are loose or just stop working, a minibar that couldn't keep anything cold, warm beers from room service and horribly overpriced in-room dining (apart from the Palazzo Pizza and Butter Chicken Curry - those are worth every cent).

If you have money to burn, and don't care about declining standards, then stay at the Palazzo, otherwise try Sun Square or the Southern Sun.

Room tip: Ground floor rooms have the best views.
1  Thank FlashPaperGrind
Julian Joubert, General Manager at The Palazzo Montecasino, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2022

Dear Mr Cherry,

Thank for affording me the opportunity to discuss the issue you raised during your stay with us. Whilst the issues below were not brought to our attention during your stay we acknowledge them and assure you of our commitment in rectifying them.

Kind Regards
Catia Viegas

Reviewed 4 September 2022

I stayed at Palazzo Hotel on 30 August 2022.
Apart from the horrible service I have received from the minute I arrived, I have also experienced theft of my Beats Studio Buds worth R2699 I accidentally left behind in the hotel.
I have endlessly tried to recover my missing item since Wednesday with NO LUCK.
Only a horrible attitude by Paul Muswede

I have sent him screenshots showing that those buds were left behind in the room because it is linked to my FIND MY on my iPhone.
This hotel makes absolutely no effort to even try to resolve this matter other than saying, “we never found this item”.
It has clearly been stolen by a staff member, and they are not prepared to do anything about it.

It is honestly the worst service I have ever received from any hotel and staff members in hospitality.

Date of stay: August 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank LorindaVoges
Julian Joubert, General Manager at The Palazzo Montecasino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2022

Dear Ms Voges,

Thank you for the review and writing to us,

The management team at the hotel has been in contact with you regarding your ear pods that you have reported to us.
As you are aware we checked the room on 3 occasions, contacted our laundry company in the event that the ear pods went with the dirty linen and the garden area outside the room. All of these proved fruitless as we didn't locate the item. Due to the fact that you could still ping the ear pods to the hotel we suggested an alternative which you were not comfortable with - regretfully this was the only alternative left in order to locate the item. You declined the suggestion and we are therefore unable to assist any further. The team is confident that the item was not stolen as mentioned above in your review as you were able to still ping the item to a location within the Palazzo hotel. We are still willing to assist should you reconsider the option discussed with you telephonically with the general manger of the hotel.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 September 2022

We decided to take the family away for a weekend expecting a lovely experience at the hotel during lock down, sadly, this place was once of the places I will not visit again, the expectation was "luxury" considering the price, however this place was the worst! the room was dingy and not luxurious in anyway, I have stayed at cheaper places that offered more than this hotel. The room was so dated and dusty, not worthy of anything over 3 stars. The room was so tiny, you could barely move around in it, this was meant to be a room for 4. The bathroom was nothing special, it was so standard, the only thing that was nice was the Nespresso machine however that too was broken. This place really needs a revamp! the breakfast was also so terrible, they served spoilt food and ignored this when it was reported. Terrible place, I would not waste my money here again.

Date of stay: January 2022

Dear Miss Kittycat666,

Thank you for your review posted on the 3rd September,

Please note that we are unable to respond effectively to your review as we would need the name under which you stayed at the Palazzo hotel in order to investigate the issues you have raised. Due to the fact that you are using a pseudo name we cannot trace your stay. Kindly contact myself with the details of your stay and I will gladly respond to your issues raised. My email address is; Julian.Joubert@southernsun.com