“Interesting shopping”
Review of Hamish Hawkin

Ranked #20 of 21 Shopping in Kinsale
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Hamish Hawkin serves an imaginative mix of lifestyle products and gifts for women, men, children and the the home. You know the scenario - you’re pressed for time and you still manage to come up with an amazing gift. You're a star!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

It's easy to find with wandering the streets of quaint a Kinsale. They have interesting and unique items to buy, fun shopping and a friendly staff.

1  Thank DoloresJacoby

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

Stopped in here and bought a cute-looking cardboard iPhone photo projector to entertain relatives who live in town. In spite of reading multiple tutorials online and downloading apps to augment the brightness on my phone, I was unable to achieve satisfactory visual results, so I swung by less than a week later to return it. The owner of the shop immediately went on the defensive, and said she could only return my money to me if she or I could prove that the item was faulty. I explained both that I didn't care about the money and would accept store credit, and that I understood the mechanics of the item but still found it to be largely useless if it was only able to generate a sharp image that was about the same size as my iPhone screen. She protested that she'd never heard a complaint about this item, in spite of selling "hundreds", and then condescended to me about the workings of the cardboard device yet again (I am Harvard grad with two post-graduate science degrees...), went into her tiny back office/closet, showed us a tiny image of her dog that she was able to generate, and administered what could most aptly-described as a low-grade scolding. I'm sure they don't get many returns, as it's a gimmicky touristy shop, but I would encourage anyone who values their money and their customer service experience to shop elsewhere.

3  Thank Megan C
Hamish H, Owner at Hamish Hawkin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2016

Dear Megan,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Hamish Hawkin in Kinsale.
We are very sorry you had a bad experience.

We are located in a touristic and beautiful town and the majority of our customers are loyal local customers. We are open all year round, as our products are practical, unusual, beautiful and of great quality.

You came in our shop saying the product you bought wasn’t working. If an item is faulty, we will replace it or give a full refund with our apologies.
Unfortunately, the product you brought back was fully working as per the specifications in its box, clearly visible at the time of purchase. We proved this to you as politely and respectfully as we possibly could. And you agreed with us. As you had assembled the product and used it, it was unsaleable.

At that point we had to decide whether to take a financial loss to keep you happy, or, to do what was right. We hadn’t done anything wrong so we stood our ground, even if it meant making one of our lovely customers unhappy. We are so sorry you took this as “the worse customer experience you have ever been subjected to in your life”. We certainly didn’t think it was. You are a lovely customer that bought a product that didn’t perform to your expectations. That, we agree with, and won’t be stocking the product again.

Regards

PILUCA GARCIA,
Director

Reviewed 7 August 2016

A wonderful treasure trove of unique and special gifts for all the people in your life including yourself! You will be hard pressed to leave this shop without buying some memento and they range from "just a token" to the "tad expensive but hard to resist”. From the moment you step over the threshold your eye will dart from corner to corner and left and right...where to begin...what to choose...! Go for it...you will not come across easily what you can buy in this shop and if you are lucky enough (like I am) to live relatively nearby it will become a not to be missed destination in Kinsale. Feel free to window shop also...there is no pressure to buy...just make sure you don’t regret it! Enjoy!

Reviewed 28 June 2016

I live in the United States and was searching online for a very hard to get Orla Kiely bag. I happen to stumble upon their beautiful website with unique gifts and the Orla Kiely bag I had been searching for. Not only did I get a quick response to my questions about billing and shipping internationally, they kept me up to date with my order every step of the way. It shipped extremely fast from overseas and it was beautifully packaged like an elegant birthday present. Since I was their first international customer, they included a special homemade soap that smelled like heaven. I cannot tell you enough what great customer service and quality this company has. I encourage anyone in the US or abroad to shop their website for unique and beautiful gifts and amazing customer service!!! Thank you Hamish Hawkin!

4  Thank Swnice