“Fab weekend had by all!”

Review of Thornleigh

Large fully equipped Kitchen-Diner with seating for upto 13
Comfortable sitting room with seating for 12 and freeview TV. Master bedroom with four poster, luxury en suite with walkin shower.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Large fully equipped Kitchen-Diner with seating for upto 13
Comfortable sitting room with seating for 12 and freeview TV.
Master bedroom with four poster, luxury en suite with walkin shower.
Luxury hot tub in enclosed landscaped garden with wooden seating and cycle storage.
Downstairs bedroom with en suite
Large top floor bedroom with super king or 2 singles plus luxury en suite
Games room with sauna, pool/table tennis table/table football plus table top skittles
Double bedroom plus en suite
Roll top bath in family bathroom.
bedroom with 2 singles and period fireplace
Luxury hot tub
Hall Leys Park Matlock
Hall Leys Park band stand Matlock
Riber castle Matlock
Peak District dry stone wall
nosy Peak District sheep
Relax at Thornleigh after that walk
stepping stones
Peak District
Dry stone wall
Mam Tor ridge
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
ArranWake...
Wakefield UK
“Fab weekend had by all!”
Reviewed 3 October 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Thornleigh House was the perfect venue for our girls weekend away. When I first booked the house, I was concerned after reading other reviews about complaints over noise, especially for 12 loud girls who don't get out much! I had no reason to worry. So long as you adhere to the rules of being out of the hot tub and keeping the noise levels inside at a reasonable volume after 11pm, it's fine.

The house is well equipped with everything you need and the hot tub was enjoyed by all throughout the stay. It's in the centre of Matlock with all the shops, bars and amenities just a short walk away.

We used Strand Fine Catering to provide a in house fine dining service on Saturday night and I would strongly recommend the company.

A fab weekend was had by all and I would highly recommend the venue.

Travelling group: Large Group
jennlittl...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent! ”
Reviewed 3 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016

A group of 10 girls stayed here for a long weekend for a hen do and we were all absolutely delighted with the house and found the price extremely reasonable. Check in is from 3pm and check out at 10am.

Location firstly is excellent for Matlock town and is within very short walking distance (and Bakewell is a 15 minute drive). We drove to Bakewell and rented bikes to cycle the Monsal trail, which is well worth it.

The house is absolutely gorgeous, clean and very spacious. We all loved the fantastic, well equipped kitchen which had everything you might possibly require (including shot glasses, plenty of cups, plates, cutlery, pots, pans etc!) and the owners even left us a lovely welcome package! There are 6 bedrooms spread over 3 floors and most have en-suites. Everything is well decorated and maintained to a high standard. This really was a great base for a hen do weekend.

We throughly enjoyed the hot tub too and spent much of our weekend relaxing there.

We also recommend eating at Stones restaurant - lovely food!

claire118...
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Perfect for big groups”
Reviewed 17 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We had the best time at Thornleigh during our family reunion. It was really well equipped and clean (I am very pedantic about cleanliness). It felt like a home without feeling like you were in someone else's house.

The kitchen was fabulous, the 12 of us spent most of the weekend all sat round the table catching up and when we did go out it was so central everything was easy to get to.

I would definitely recommend.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Bhawkswor...
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016

Thornleigh was lovely to stay at for my future daughter in laws hen party every one had a great time kitchen was great for everyone to get together and had a lovely meal at Viva Italian
All the young ones really enjoyed the hot tub and we booked a visit from the visiting spa which was fantastic and relaxing

Rooms Location
Cleanliness
Sarah A
“Perfect house for Hen Weekend or trip away with family and friends”
Reviewed 2 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
people found this review helpful

I booked to stay at Thornleigh almost a year before our planned visit after falling in love with the place via the pitctures on the website. I had searched and searched for a place that met the requirements stipulated by my best friend for her hen weekend (she wanted a group of 13, in a nice house, with a hot tub and a wood burner). I think I eventually found Thornleigh via one of the hen party websites. I contacted the owners and they got back to me promptly to confirm availability. They were also on hand in the months leading up to our visit to answer any questions or queries we had (regarding parking, check in etc). At one point, I had a little wobble following reading some reviews on trip advisor, but the owners were able to put my mind at rest and even offered to let us stay at one of their other properties if we felt that Thornleigh wouldn't be right for us. In the end, I decided to stick with my original decision and stay at Thornleigh and I am really glad I did. I was organising this hen weekend on my own which was a huge responsibility but in choosing to stay at Thornleigh, we couldn't fail to have a wonderful time. it is situated right in the centre if Matlock, 1-2 mins walk for the high street where there are shops, restaurants and bars as well as some nice places to walk.
We arrived on Friday at 2pm (the owners had been really amenable and allowed us to check in an hour early) and we were so impressed with what we found. the house was really cold when we arrived but soon warmed up once the heating was on. we decoarted it with bunting, banners, confetti and pictures which we stuck up all over the house.
The house is extremely spacious, all the rooms are beautifully decorated and we were able to chose to have single beds in most rooms which was great.
The kitchen is a real asset and is spacious and fully equipped with every kitchen utensil you could imagine. there is a lovely big fridge freezer and I made the mistake of bringing two bags of ice, but this wasn't necessary as the freezer was already full of ice!
The living room is nice and spacious and the only downside I found was that the sofas are plasticy leather and not very comfortable for lounging around on, but this was a minor aside and in no way took away from the charm and cozy feel of the house as a whole.
The hot tub was the main highlight of the weekend for us and we had such a fabulous time on the friday evening enjoying it. Such a luxury!
During the weekend, we had a lovely lunch at Stones restaurant in Matlock who offer a discount for guests staying at Thornleigh. We also did a champagne and fizz tasting with Ingrid and Chris from Peak Wine which I would highly recommend (you will taste some beautiful wines and also learn a lot!) and we had a lovely relaxing treatment with My Personal Sanctuary who came to the house on the Sunday and did massages, facials and pedicures which were truly divine. On the Sunday night we ordered an Indian takeaway from the Shalimar and it was the best curry I've ever had. We were so sad to leave on the Monday morning and my friend the bride to be, whose hen weekend it was, said it was one of the best weekends of her life.
I just want to address some of the comments made below by others as I lost a lot of sleep over whether this was the right place for our hen weekend. There are a lot of rules/signs around as well as the booking terms and conditions that request guests to be respectful with regarding to noise and to remember that Thornleigh is in a residential area. Not only is it in a residential area, it is a semi detached house. We adhered to the rules of not going in the hot tub after 11pm (we were out by 10pm every night) and no one was in the garden after 11pm, aside from perhaps popping out for a cigarette. we also ensured that we kept the noise down in the kitchen after 11pm as the kitchen is directly joined to the house next door. However, we were by no means silent after this time, we still had music on in the living room and were talking and enjoying each other's company and going up and down the stairs. I fully expected that the neighbours would come round and complain having read the reviews below and I was all geared up to apologise profusely and instructed the group to quieted down, but they didn't come round and complaint. Not once. So I assume they either couldn't hear us or are much more tolerant that the reviews below have made them out to be. What I am trying to say is, PLEASE do not let these comments worry you or put you off. I felt so much responsibility in organising this weekend and was genuinely worried and upset by the reviews, but they were completely unfounded. We couldn't have asked for a better house for our weekend or better hosts.
The only things I would recommend to the owners for next time is that they perhaps but hand soap in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, that was literally the only thing that was lacking.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and Hot tub
Liked least: not being able to be in the hot tub after 11pm
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing