“Perfect for big groups”

Review of Thornleigh

Large fully equipped Kitchen-Diner with seating for upto 13
Comfortable sitting room with seating for 12 and freeview TV. Master bedroom with four poster, luxury en suite with walkin shower.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Large fully equipped Kitchen-Diner with seating for upto 13
Comfortable sitting room with seating for 12 and freeview TV.
Master bedroom with four poster, luxury en suite with walkin shower.
Luxury hot tub in enclosed landscaped garden with wooden seating and cycle storage.
Downstairs bedroom with en suite
Large top floor bedroom with super king or 2 singles plus luxury en suite
Games room with sauna, pool/table tennis table/table football plus table top skittles
Double bedroom plus en suite
Roll top bath in family bathroom.
bedroom with 2 singles and period fireplace
Luxury hot tub
Hall Leys Park Matlock
Hall Leys Park band stand Matlock
Riber castle Matlock
Peak District dry stone wall
nosy Peak District sheep
Relax at Thornleigh after that walk
stepping stones
Peak District
Dry stone wall
Mam Tor ridge
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

claire118...
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Perfect for big groups”
Reviewed 17 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

We had the best time at Thornleigh during our family reunion. It was really well equipped and clean (I am very pedantic about cleanliness). It felt like a home without feeling like you were in someone else's house.

The kitchen was fabulous, the 12 of us spent most of the weekend all sat round the table catching up and when we did go out it was so central everything was easy to get to.

I would definitely recommend.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Bhawkswor...
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016

Thornleigh was lovely to stay at for my future daughter in laws hen party every one had a great time kitchen was great for everyone to get together and had a lovely meal at Viva Italian
All the young ones really enjoyed the hot tub and we booked a visit from the visiting spa which was fantastic and relaxing

Rooms Location
Cleanliness
Sarah A
“Perfect house for Hen Weekend or trip away with family and friends”
Reviewed 2 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
people found this review helpful

I booked to stay at Thornleigh almost a year before our planned visit after falling in love with the place via the pitctures on the website. I had searched and searched for a place that met the requirements stipulated by my best friend for her hen weekend (she wanted a group of 13, in a nice house, with a hot tub and a wood burner). I think I eventually found Thornleigh via one of the hen party websites. I contacted the owners and they got back to me promptly to confirm availability. They were also on hand in the months leading up to our visit to answer any questions or queries we had (regarding parking, check in etc). At one point, I had a little wobble following reading some reviews on trip advisor, but the owners were able to put my mind at rest and even offered to let us stay at one of their other properties if we felt that Thornleigh wouldn't be right for us. In the end, I decided to stick with my original decision and stay at Thornleigh and I am really glad I did. I was organising this hen weekend on my own which was a huge responsibility but in choosing to stay at Thornleigh, we couldn't fail to have a wonderful time. it is situated right in the centre if Matlock, 1-2 mins walk for the high street where there are shops, restaurants and bars as well as some nice places to walk.
We arrived on Friday at 2pm (the owners had been really amenable and allowed us to check in an hour early) and we were so impressed with what we found. the house was really cold when we arrived but soon warmed up once the heating was on. we decoarted it with bunting, banners, confetti and pictures which we stuck up all over the house.
The house is extremely spacious, all the rooms are beautifully decorated and we were able to chose to have single beds in most rooms which was great.
The kitchen is a real asset and is spacious and fully equipped with every kitchen utensil you could imagine. there is a lovely big fridge freezer and I made the mistake of bringing two bags of ice, but this wasn't necessary as the freezer was already full of ice!
The living room is nice and spacious and the only downside I found was that the sofas are plasticy leather and not very comfortable for lounging around on, but this was a minor aside and in no way took away from the charm and cozy feel of the house as a whole.
The hot tub was the main highlight of the weekend for us and we had such a fabulous time on the friday evening enjoying it. Such a luxury!
During the weekend, we had a lovely lunch at Stones restaurant in Matlock who offer a discount for guests staying at Thornleigh. We also did a champagne and fizz tasting with Ingrid and Chris from Peak Wine which I would highly recommend (you will taste some beautiful wines and also learn a lot!) and we had a lovely relaxing treatment with My Personal Sanctuary who came to the house on the Sunday and did massages, facials and pedicures which were truly divine. On the Sunday night we ordered an Indian takeaway from the Shalimar and it was the best curry I've ever had. We were so sad to leave on the Monday morning and my friend the bride to be, whose hen weekend it was, said it was one of the best weekends of her life.
I just want to address some of the comments made below by others as I lost a lot of sleep over whether this was the right place for our hen weekend. There are a lot of rules/signs around as well as the booking terms and conditions that request guests to be respectful with regarding to noise and to remember that Thornleigh is in a residential area. Not only is it in a residential area, it is a semi detached house. We adhered to the rules of not going in the hot tub after 11pm (we were out by 10pm every night) and no one was in the garden after 11pm, aside from perhaps popping out for a cigarette. we also ensured that we kept the noise down in the kitchen after 11pm as the kitchen is directly joined to the house next door. However, we were by no means silent after this time, we still had music on in the living room and were talking and enjoying each other's company and going up and down the stairs. I fully expected that the neighbours would come round and complain having read the reviews below and I was all geared up to apologise profusely and instructed the group to quieted down, but they didn't come round and complaint. Not once. So I assume they either couldn't hear us or are much more tolerant that the reviews below have made them out to be. What I am trying to say is, PLEASE do not let these comments worry you or put you off. I felt so much responsibility in organising this weekend and was genuinely worried and upset by the reviews, but they were completely unfounded. We couldn't have asked for a better house for our weekend or better hosts.
The only things I would recommend to the owners for next time is that they perhaps but hand soap in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, that was literally the only thing that was lacking.

Liked best: Location and Hot tub
Liked least: not being able to be in the hot tub after 11pm
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Tom F
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Great for a big group to get together”
Reviewed 15 January 2016 for a stay in November 2015
person found this review helpful

We had a fab time at Thornleigh for a 30th birthday celebration. The large kitchen is a great asset for the house, and is fab for playing games etc. The kitchen had all the utensils one could need!

All of the bedrooms are a good size, although you won't be spending much time in them as the hot tub and games room are great fun. The hot tub kept its heat well in November.

The house is really well located for Matlock, and there is a small co op nearby if you need to stock up on more food and drink. The owners were really helpful in providing instructions on where to park additional cars nearby for free.

The only thing which I think would improve the house is a slight reduction in the amount of laminated rules and instructions everywhere.

Travelling group: Large Group
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
MrsNJF
“Mrs ”
Reviewed 25 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015
people found this review helpful

A thoroughly perfect house for a wonderful group celebration.

The location is very central which obviously has it's benefits too. A lovely stroll away from matlock centre and the beautiful park.

As for the comments about the noise levels, don't be put off. As long as you respect the requests of the owners (no outdoor hot tubbing and partying after 11pm!) you'll be fine! We had 3 nights here and were up drinking and talking in the kitchen past 11pm but just didn't have music blaring etc. We saw our neighbour when leaving and she was very polite and didn't mention any concerns.

The bedrooms are all of a very high standard and the en suites came in very handy for 12 female guests!

The kitchen was the general communal room with a fantastic large table to allow all 12 of us to dine together.

The hot tub is an extra luxurious touch (along with the sauna and pool table in the basement). It didn't matter that it was October when we were using it due to the stylish but functional over head cover. Perfect!

Finally, I really want to comment on how Mark and Rachel went above and beyond in assisting me with planning our weekend. It was a hen do for a very special friend and from my initial enquiries about booking, Mark and Rachel did everything they could to ensure the weekend was a hit. And it certainly was! From advice regarding activities, to allowing me early entry to dress the house, and to organising postage of a docking station I forgot, I really couldn't have asked for any more. Thank you so much.

I look forward to thinking of my next excuse for a return visit to Thornleigh!
Highly recommended.

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
from
US$709
/ Night
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing