“Pub named manners but staff have none”
Review of The Manners

The Manners
Ranked #10 of 88 Restaurants in Bakewell
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Traditonal pub, with a modern twist serving a selction of well kept cask ales, and excellent pub grub.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We decided to try this pub for lunch whilst visiting Bakewell, we were shown to a table in a small dark room at the side of the bar, I stood at the bar waiting to order drinks when I suddenly became invisible! Two men who arrived after me were served first, the barmaid then turned her back on me and proceeded to rearrange some bottles, just as I was about to walk away she turned and said she had not seen me. During the wait my partner had chosen lunch and our order was placed with the drinks. Our food arrived fairly quickly, it was nothing special, we drank up and I went to pay the bill, the same barmaid was cold and non communicative, the pub in named Manners but the staff lack them, will not be returning.

3  Thank Cowbell1234

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Beautiful food and first class service. Spicy sweet potato soup was excellent. Good choice of beers and cider.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Myself and my partner decided to try this place after reading good reviews on here, however we were very disappointed with the customer service. We arrived in the restaurant to finding it full, having just missed the last free table - which is fine and not the fault of the restaurant, it is clearly a popular place. Initially the hostess suggested tables in the bar and outside, offering table service from these locations and with the weather being lovely we opted to sit outside. We found a table outside and were given menus and bought drinks from the bar, then waited for the lady to come over at some point to take our order. And wait we did. After over half an hour my partner wandered inside to see where the hostess was and approached the bar to double check that it was table service, however there were no staff to be found. We waited for another 15 minutes when he returned from the bar as the menu looked amazing, however we eventually gave up, leaving the menus and a half finished drink to find food elsewhere.
We understand that at times places can get really busy and happy to wait for food etc, however there should be provisions for busy days to ensure that customers do get acknowledged, as they will lose custom as they did ours.

3  Thank LittleMissHappy24
Reviewed 21 June 2018

If you are looking for 5* food at pub prices this is for you! On the surface it looks like a bit of a boozer but I really wish it was our local. Service was great, staff lovely and whoever they have in he kitchen they need to hold on to. - fantastic. A group of 7 of us came across this place after a day at Chatsworth and they provided all we could have wanted. The meals were better than many fancy places you'll go in. Yes the decor is a bit dated but don't let that put you off, we would highly recommend to anyone wanting fantastic food and lovely staff.

1  Thank lydiam834
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

We came here due to the positive reviews and were not disappointed

I had the chicken skewer with fries which was lovely and my husband had risotto.

Drinks were nice, friendly service too, and seemed like nice people running the place.

Only downside niggle was our table was full of the previous occupants food bits, I had swept these up into one pile on the table, I think it was flaky pastry, so not to get on our clothes, expecting a server to wipe the table, unfortunately this didn’t happen, as the napkins were placed right on top of the bits. Otherwise I would have reviewed a 5*

2  Thank debkat