“Wonderful stress busting walk ”
Review of Monsal Trail

Monsal Trail
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Bakewell
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Walked along a few miles. One of the best trails I have seen. Long and beautiful. Vast tunnels. Enormous valleys. Not often a place makes me get my phone out for a pic.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 351)
All reviews
"information boards"
in 19 reviews

90 - 94 of 1 353 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Three pensioners, 69,78,89, visited this valley with two labradors. On a lovely sunny day this was an ideal walk for us as it mostly on the level. There was shade in various areas and wild flowers and greenery all the way. There are a couple of refreshment stops along the way which were very welcome on a hot walk and also a toilet. Cycles can be hired from various places and apart from 1 over enthusiastic boy they did not impede our progress. Much enjoyed.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

The monsal trail is great in that it is very flat so accessible for a lot of abilities and ages. It is great for a long or short walk or cycle or for pushing a pram along. Because of that it can get very busy on a warm day with cyclists dodging walkers and vice versa. It is also close to Bakewell for a pit stop in its many cafes to refuel.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

We spent the morning cycling from end to end through the long and well lit tunnels stopping to enjoy the views, read the information boards and listen to tales of the track at a couple of recording posts along the way. A great place to take off on foot too. We spent two other days walking along part of the track and taking off along some of the many paths and bridleways off the trail. An OS map is a help if you want to plan a circular route. We did two circulars, one from Great Longstone to Bakewell and one from Great Longstone to Ashford in the Water. Beautiful countryside

1  Thank 118Christine
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 June 2018

Myself and my partner decided to have a drive out to the Monsal Trail as we had never been and it was a trail that we wanted to cross off the list.

Fortunately we picked a beautiful day and it was scorching hot, inevitably this meant that the trail was very busy, with walkers, families, bikes and dogs, lots of dogs. Now I am a massive Dog lover and have bred Springer Spaniels for many years but some people do not have manners, dogs ( not well trained ) off the lead, causing havoc with people and bikes.

This then brings me onto how rude some people can be, yes walkers! Walking 2,3,4,5 abreast the trail, refusing quite blatantly not to move out of the way for bikes ( and i'm not just on about myself and partner ), sort of ruined the experience. Please don't think I am a moaner, this is the absolute truth.

The trail itself is very flat, around 8.1 miles in length from start to finish, giving a good return length of around 16 miles. The scenery is quite lovely and the trail path is nice and smooth to peddle along.

Views from the Viaduct were spectacular!!

If you fancy a nice pleasant few hours completing this trail I would recommend entirely, the rudeness of some people is just life unfortunately.

Would I return? maybe.....but now I have ridden this trail there are plenty more to cross off the list.

Only one last thing to note, we arrive around 11am, car parks were absolutely rammed by this point, we parked in Bakewell up near some industrial units in the end and started the trail there