“Lovely friendly place to stay.”
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The George Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 83 Restaurants in Warminster
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Very comfortable beds lovely clean room. FOOD REALLY NICE Good breakfast freshly cooked.
pop in for a snack in good surroundings.
Very quiet rooms.

1  Thank nanniesuebirmingham

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Usually it’s a bit of a gamble on Mother’s Day whether any outlet can maintain the quality of food and service due to the unusually high demand! But the carvery here was a great idea and the food was delicious, clean plates and very pleased! I’ve yet to find anywhere that can match our batter puddings and gravy though :)

1  Thank AndrewHawkeye
Reviewed 11 March 2018

We had a really lovely meal by the fire in this comfortable and charming pub. Staff were very friendly and attentive. Just perfect for a winter break.

1  Thank Judith G
Reviewed 8 February 2018

This must be THE place to go on a warm summers day. The outside area looks like a well tended meadow, huge in area, with a spur from the river Wylye running through and a lovely wooden bridge. In the summer the waiting staff must be as fit as athletes come meal times.

My wife and I stopped off here for lunch on our way from Bath to Salisbury. We are not over the lovely bridge in the well tended meadow, but inside at a table by a much appreciated open fire, on this chilly February day.

There are many country taverns 'twixt Bath and Salisbury, but not so many on The Cask Marque Ale Trail. Out of about 50,800 licensed pubs in the British Isles (figures @ 2015) only 8,300 (so far) qualify for this accolade.

Unlike lager and much of the fluid coming from brass 'T' bar contraptions, cask ale requires the right conditions and quite a bit of work to be served at it's best. Not every establishment can provide these conditions and not ever licensee can be bothered with the work.

From over 1,500 possible different brews, those pubs with Cask Marque accreditation, will be serving those beers in the finest possible condition. And so it was with the Upham Punter, 4% clear and amber coloured was in perfect condition - a single pint certainly wasn't enough, but being the driver.......

As for our lunch, the Coronation Chicken wrap for waifu and a similar sandwich for me (with a side helping of chips) was more than adequate and appetizing. It is clear the kitchen takes as much pride over their work as does the cellar staff.

Kelly, our waitress, was both affable and helpful - a credit to herself and the establishment.

One of the many advantages of following the Cask-marque Ale Trail, it takes one to places otherwise not visited, but having done so, almost ensures a return visit. So it will be with The George – in the summer though, those meadow tables will be sooo inviting – and the wife can drive next time.

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 1 February 2018

My partner and I stopped here while travelling. The pub has a lovely exterior, nice ambiance in the bar and restaurant and the staff where lovely however! The food was literally the worse I have ever been served anywhere. I had the duck which was very overcooked, smelt bad and tasted disgusting! I could not eat it my partner had the fish and chips which looked great but was completely tasteless. I told the bar staff on paying that the duck was not edible and they did take it off the bill with no argument.
Great place for a drink but can not recommend the food.

Leonard C, General Manager at The George Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

I am sorry that your recent visit to The George was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

I am afraid that due to legislation from the Food standards agency and also Company Policy the requirements are that duck and other poultry should be cooked until steaming hot throughout and until there is no pink meat left, even though this is not to everybody's taste it is a legal requirement that we have to adhere to. I am sorry that the fish was also not to your taste and have passed your comments to my Head Chef.

I know the above will not make up for what you consider to be a spoilt visit to The George, but I do hope proves that I take all feedback very seriously and take appropriate action to rectify what I can.

If you would like to discuss the matter further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Laurie Creighton