All reviews sea view wedding party kings cliff lovely hotel sea front the general manager comfortable bed an overnight stay no lift full english enjoyable stay stayed for one night lovely room clacton pier yogurt bar staff short break
Reviewed 7 November 2018

Stayed for three days.On arrival the room we were allocated hadn't been cleaned.We were given a complimentary drink while we waited for the room to be cleaned.The morning after we went to breakfast and the waitress gave us a menu to see what we wanted to order on the hot side of breakfast,the rest was self service,there was no butter for the toast and by the time my husband got his butter the toast had gone cold.The butter wasn't even spreadable as it was cold straight from the fridge.There was only two cereals available in the dispensers.Cooked breakfast wasn't up to much.There was a plate with a bunch of grapes and a bit of sliced melon on it,that came out again the day after.Day two's breakfast we wasn't given the menu but was slightly better as we got 2 sausage and hash browns that we hadn't received the first morning.No butter again,had to ask.There was another plate with a few slices of cooked meat and some slices of cheese on,and there was a box of Weetabix too..Food on the whole wasn't very appetizing.The second day we went out for the day and decided to get back at 3.45p.m to rest before an evening meal only to find the room hadn't been serviced once again,I traced the elderly housekeeper and young assistant and told her not to bother with our room and just to replenish our towels and tea,coffee facilities as we just wanted to relax when we got back.I really think that these types of hotels should employ more housekeeping staff and also concentrate on delivering a breakfast with more selection of food on offer.Maybe put single portions of butter/spread out with jam and marmalade would be a good idea.

Reviewed 7 November 2018

Everything from start to finish was the best. The food the room plus the great staff very helpful. We are looking forward to the next time.The hotel was easy to find and plenty of parking at no cost.
Thanks.

Date of stay: November 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

This could be a very lovely hotel. We stayed here on business, and were asked to pay a down payment of £25 per room for mini bar items. On check in (late at night), I asked if we could pay for all in one go, but the night porter did not know how to do this. So we spent about half an hour paying for a pre-auth for each room (6 rooms) on the same card.

The rooms are nice, clean with comfy beds and nice views. The night porter told us that breakfast finished at 10am, but this turned out to not be the case when we turned up.

The real issues began after we checked out. I was assured that the money for the mini bar (£150) would be refunded to my card within 24 hours. Nearly a month later I am still waiting for it to appear in my account. I called the hotel 7 times to ask what was going on, and without so much as an apology from the manager he eventually told me the issue was with my bank. My bank have assured me they would have no reason to hold up a pre-auth coming back into my account, but it will clear back into my account in a few day's time (28 days after we stayed at the hotel).

This experience and the total lack of apology from the manager really marred our stay, and I would not recommend staying here until they can sort their own policies and refunds.

Room tip: Refuse to pay the £25 charge - ask for the mini bar to be taken out of the room.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2018

We were so disappointed with this hotel.
I have been to this hotel many times over the years.
However, it has been taken over and the atmosphere is terrible and the meal disappointing.
When we arrived in the bar the music was very loud.
When we went into the restaurant we had to take our own drinks inside.
Nobody to direct us to our table.

The bar lady behind the bar is very friendly, but she is also the waiter in the dining room.
The meals are very small and when the dessert arrived we were given just a spoon.

The music from the bar was so loud that you could hear it in the restaurant and was uncomfortable.

This hotel and restaurant used to be so nice.
It is my last time my partner and I will go there.

Room tip: You will be disappointed
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2018

Nice enough hotel for a one night business stay, room was okay but nothing special. The breakfast was really good, cooked to order and plentiful. At £68 it is what it is in the area as they tend to be overpriced, but I was happy enough at the Kingscliff.

Trip type: Travelled on business