“Rubbish meal and services”

A la marmite dieppoise
Ranked #10 of 169 Restaurants in Dieppe
Price range: US$25 - US$64
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A typical and friendly place "LA MARMITE DIEPPOISE" OFFERS FRESH AND SEASONAL PRODUCTS? HOMEMADE COOKING KEEPING THEIR AUTHENTICAL FLAVOURS/LOCAL FISH SPECIALITIES "LA MARMITE DIEPPOISE", SEA FOOD AS WELL AS NORMAN SPECILALITIES.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

My family and I have been so happy in past with this restaurant but we went back in May for my birthday and it was worse meal I had ever and my husband the same.We taken family and friends there over the last five years and loved the place.We plan to go on sat night but we were out. In the town and thought we book for sat thinking it's would be fully booked as it Allways was on Friday but she said no you can have table tonight so we were happy and couldn't believe our luck for getting in.Well I went for fillet steak it was anything but my husband had lamb which he left most of it .I left all of mine as it was tough and needed to be in stew pot for 8 hours .I said to the girl who spoke English and was looking after us have you got new chief ? She said no but I in cooking so could not believe they could serve such bad food.That wasn't all when we order our main she said what would you like for pudding? I said we see how we were after main and she said it's completely so we order.As soon as I question re chief we didn't see that girl again she sent a girl with no English to deal with us.Next up we went to pay only to find the two pudding on there as well when I said you said they where completely she said she never said it I made a fuss so she came back from seeing manager and took one pudding off.I would never set foot in place again think it must have change hands it was a lot of money for food we could not eat.

2  Thank Eileen b

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had an excellent dinner at La Marmite during our visit to Dieppe. We checked out the location and menu in the early afternoon and were lucky enough to meet the chef, Francois, who happened to be sitting outside after the lunch rush. He recommended we try some of the local fish and suggested we try an appetizer of Monk’s Fish Liver which he described as a seafood version of foie gras. He cautioned that it wasn’t to everyone’s taste and offered to make us a sampler tasting instead of the full version. We took him up on the offer at dinner. It certainly had the texture of foil gras. But it was a little strong & fishy for us. Glad we only had a sampler.

La Marmite was about the only restaurant we tried while in Normandy that didn’t offer a 2 or 3 course menu. Everything was “a la carte”. I took that as a good sign meaning that they weren’t pushing a specific menu. I was proven correct.

For our appetizers we had Francois’s homemade foie gras torchon. It came complete with a shot of chilled muscat. Very nice tough. Beautiful presentation on a slab or slate. And the torchon was fantastic!!! One of the best I have ever tasted. Creamy yet firm. Perfect delicate flavour of foie gras. Highly recommend it.

For our mains we had his local recommendations. A St. Pierre fish (St. Peter’s fish) and a turbot. Both were oven roasted, whole which meant we had to filet them at the table. Not a problem. We’ve done it many times before. But you may want to ask them to do it for you if it’s your first time. Both fish were incredibly fresh and perfectly cooked. Very simple yet very flavourful. I have never had better fish! There were some lovely fresh vegetables no the plate. Not many. But clearly local and beautifully presented.

Unfortunately neither of us had room for dessert. We could see others having dessert and they all looked great.

The room is lovely with a view of the inner harbour. We had a terrific, reasonably priced St. Veran whiite wine which went perfectly with the fish.

I highly recommend La Marmite.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Dropped in without a reservation on 27 May 2018 for late lunch, although the restaurant was very busy with french diners ( a very good sign) a table was found for the two of us, in the window area. We gad the 38 euro menu, Marmite fish stew followed by a cheese course followed by a delicious apple pie desert complete with sour cream, caramel sauce & a very nice apple sorbet. Faultless flavours and very delicious tasty menu. Makes a change from the many eateries where you sit outside eating frites & moules! you'll know what I mean if you've been. Marmite is an inside only well decorated venue with traditional french cuisine. We would absolutely re-visit.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic evening in this tucked away modest looking restaurant in Dieppe. The food was sensational - technically perfect well balanced dishes delighted us all. Most notable was a crab starter, smoked and pickled fish, a duck main, poached pear and apple tart desserts. We ordered a delicious champagne at about 40 euros and many bottles of a tasty Macon Villages. The service was delightful- attentive but not overly so and the atmosphere serious about food but not snooty or pretentious. WOW! We are going to return

Reviewed 7 December 2017

This was our 3 rd time visiting this restaurant and it been amazing ever time.we took my daughter for her birthday this November and all four of us and fab meals.You would go to dieppe just to eat there it's so good and such a good price.