“Peaceful holiday , like stepping back in time”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
Wanderer8...
London, United Kingdom
“Peaceful holiday , like stepping back in time”
Reviewed 26 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

I travelled with my family there in mid April , I will give an honest review on what I found to be good and bad.

Firstly - the bad !
No showers, this was a big thing for me as I need a nice shower in the morning to wake me up for the day, so to find only baths with a little jug to rinse ..... wasn't great, and a waste of water also as ran a bath every day (and shared bath water to save water which reminded me of my childhood haha!) even a shower extension to the tap would be sufficient.
No wifi, this was something that really surprised me , I think in the middle of the countryside it is especially essential even to just look up things !
At the end of the stay, you are charged for oil and electricity - for 2 cottages with moderate use for 5 nights was 75 euros, I thought this was a lot considering, I would have expected it to be included in the rate, or to be a lot less than that!
No microwave, no washing machine which I appreciate the wanting to keep the cottages as old fashioned as possible, however if you are staying for long periods of time and especially with kids , these are things that really should be there.
Not sure if this is a bad, but the owners live right beside, so you arent really private as such which I was kind of expecting.

The good!
This place is truly like stepping back in time 100 years, it is like nothing I have ever seen before, truly unique! and really is amazing the amount of work put into it , my Mum and Aunties absolutely loved it moreso than me ( but because I prefer more modern accommodation ), but I am very glad I got to experience it.
The beds are very comfy, slept like a log.
The grounds are beautiful, so rustic and you really get away from it all!
The donkeys and chickens are great, the cockerel just stares at you , the donkeys just want food!
The owners are lovely, very friendly and the man is so knowledgable about the antiques and the castle (the tour is great, really interesting when you go up the castle )
the pub called the Hideaway is great , the owner may appear a bit gruff but he is actually really nice , even on a Sunday night it was really really quiet, and you can watch the tv pretty much it is like your own sitting room.

So all in all I would recommend staying here, it really is a unique place :)

Mary_marg...
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful tranquil cottages, it is a truly magical place”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

We have just spent our third weekend break in the cottages and again we had a wonderful stay. It is such a peaceful place and so safe for the children. We were a family group of 9 adults and 7 children with three well behaved dogs too! We fitted comfortably in the two cottages.
The cottage are beautifully restored stone buildings with comfortable old furniture and lovely open fires, wood was supplied. There are good facilities in both cottages with two bathrooms in each. There is a lovely walled garden in front and an herb garden to the rear where the children were safe playing. Anna and Jim, the owners, could not be more helpful or friendly. They were wonderful with the children and brought them to feed the chickens and for donkey rides which were the hight point of the weekend for the children. They also twice brought us on tours of the incredible tower, which has views out to the coast.
It's a lovely place and we thoroughly recommend it. We've already booked it again for next year!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The tranquillity and beauty of the place
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Kathr5
Dublin, Ireland
“Really lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Perfect place to stay for a mixed age group, from young children to older family members. Really beautiful spot and very private. We really enjoyed sitting outside in the lovely lavender garden in the evenings, Jim's tour of the castle, feeding the chickens and playing table tennis. The family are very accommodating and helpful. Lots to do in the area also.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Very pretty place to stay
Liked least: No showers
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Claire B
London, United Kingdom
“Exceptional, so good I'm almost tempted to keep it a secret”
Reviewed 7 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013

I booked both cottages for a family get together in April and we had a really special weekend. Stunning, comfortable, impeccably clean cottages, beautiful gardens, great location, donkeys, sheep and of course the warmest of welcomes from the lovely hosts, who really made our stay that extra bit special. All 3 generations of my family loved it! It is rare to find such a fantastic combination in Ireland. Seriously impressed and very much hoping to return.

Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
Reviewed 12 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The beautiful outdoor space for some al fresco dining
Liked least: One rainy day
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing