“A nice Hideaway.”

Hideaways at Palm Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 31 May 2017

I had similar experience as other reviewers. We went in May 20-27, 2016, which is apparently just after their main tourist season so that could be why a few things were a little run down and a few things were slow - but not enough to really be an issue.
First, I was disappointed that we couldn't get one of the ocean side villas and could only get the hillside, one bedroom villa, but I was told it was a nice place and had an ocean view. It was very nice. The room was huge and very clean and modern. The shared balcony (with three other rooms) does look over the trees and onto the ocean. You enter into the living room and go through the kitchen area which was well stocked, and there is a small bathroom to one side. then you go back to the bedroom that was clean and a good size, and had a bathroom of its own too. I was impressed with the room because I guess I was expecting a little worse.

The Splash bar is not exactly what I was expecting. First of all, ALL restaurants on the island are expensive. The wait staff at this bar were a little rude and didn't really want to work, but maybe they were tired from the long tourist season. I don't know. However, the beer is fairly cheap and the Conch chowder is AMAZING. I think all the food was good but we did not eat there a lot because of the price. We cooked a lot in our room.

Hideaways offers free Kayaks, snorkel gear, and paddle boards. Here is where I am not sure if things were run down because of the time of year or if it was because they are always like that. The workers there were never around to help me take the kayak off the racks so I used the one on the ground that I could reach. Well it turns out that kayak was missing a plug and we didn't know that until we were sinking about 50 yards out. Luckily even 50 yards out we are still able to stand as the water is shallow, but the further out you go the more chance of sharks and other critters.... When we came back dragging it they guy came over and we told him about the plug. He said I should have asked for help. I told him I did - twice - I even had to ask him for the paddle/oar for the kayak so he did know what we wanted. The snorkel gear was adequate but I had concerns about how well they cleaned them.

The Hideaways also have a small boat dock if you are into that. The beach was beautiful and you can walk further down and find an even more beautiful and very secluded beach.
They say they have free Wi-Fi but it is only at the lobby and the Splash bar.

The free shuttle from the Hideaways is great because if you are staying a while, you can go into town in their little grocery store and buy food to cook, and the liquor store is right next door. then the shuttle picks you up and takes you and your groceries back. However, if you are going to peace and plenty, the shuttle stops at 5. the clerk at the Hideaways told me we could get at cab back at 9pm. They lied. When we were ready to leave Peace and Plenty, the clerk there had to frantically call people to help us get back to our hotel. She said the clerk should have known better.

Some things to note:
Exuma is definitely not "super touristy" - the power WILL go out every day across the whole island. we thought it was just at our hotel but it is through the whole island. (also when the power goes out the water does too.) It only stays off for about 15 minutes though. It only inconvenienced us once when we were about to cook, so it wasn't a big deal.
Bring lots of cash. Some places take credit card, but some don't. The only ATMs are at the banks in town.
Also there is no public transportation as mentioned above and the taxis stop around 5ish.
If you are looking for stuff to do there isn't much that doesn't involve water. there are like 5 shops to go shopping at and that is about it. There is a weekly party/BBQ at peace and Plenty, but if you are staying at the Hideaways it is hard to get back there, because like I said, the taxis stop at 5.
Also, the Bahamas have sand flees. they are awful! They do not respond to bug spray but if you bring baby oil it really helps. Its like they can't land. Otherwise bring some insect repellant for the mosquitos and flies.

**Definitely take the water taxi to Stocking Island. Stocking Island is a must. it is beautiful there and they have a Pig Roast on Sundays. You can swim with the stingrays!. You can snorkel, or have a beer in the surf, or eat fresh Conch salad. Or you can walk a little ways, wade through a low water crossing, and climb over the small hill to the most beautiful secluded beach you have ever seen.

I also did the 4C's adventure but I had a bad experience with them.
As a side note, the hospital on the island is brand new but not very good.

Room Tip: the 1 bdrm hillside rooms with a view are very nice. the Ocean Villas are closer to the beach but m...
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank ReneeHajek
Bev B, Guest Services at Hideaways at Palm Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2017

Hello ReneeHajek,

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the time it took to review our hotel and are over joyed to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as other attractions of the island. We are one of the few resorts on the island that offer complimentary water sports and are we are very sorry to hear you had a problem while trying to utilize them! Getting out on the water is definitely a must while staying on Exuma and we will ensure to use your feedback to improve for the next guests.

Thank you again for your review and choosing to stay with us. Your comments will be passed on to our team as a tool to better our services. We look forward to having you back with us again soon.

From the Hideaways Team.

Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Yes Hideaways is perhaps a little a shabby in places and it's decor makes it more Island than contemporary but this is Exuma so why not be authentic. The one bedroom studio we had was fine for two of us. It was huge with a decent sized bathroom and a good shower, it was clean and tidy and when we were here was getting a make over. Admittedly the bathroom fittings could do with replacing but that is a cosmetic thing it didn't stop everything working. The only challenge I had was with the blinds. The sun gets up at 6.20 and so if you're a light sleeper so do you!!
The pool is also adequate, not huge but easily accessed with plenty of beds and brollies around, again a little past sell by but functional. There is the same on the beach which Hideaways opens out to, it has coloured deck chairs and sun loungers, the beach towels are a bit thin but again passable. We didn't have time for the kayaks etc but these are included in the rate, snorkel gear you have to pay extra for.
The on site Splash bar is ok for drinks but the food is either fried, too sweet or overly salty - that was our experience anyway so we went to Latitudes which is the bar/restaurant at the next door resort and a really great place to eat (closed on Mondays) I'd also recommend taking a walk along the beach heading left around a couple of small headlands then you will reach a single track road. To the right it says Private but if you cross the road and duck under the vegetation you will come to the most amazing beach. Clean, sheltered with crystal clear warm water, just gorgeous. This is a public beach but on the 2 occasions we visited there was no-one else there!
Other recommendations/considerations:
Exuma is long and thin with no public transport so if you want to get about its taxi or car hire )c $100 per day incl insurance) and the taxis are really expensive. There is nothing of note in Georgetown, only 2 reasons to go

1. To the supermarket (Hideaways offer a free shuttle to and from roughly every 2 hours on the hour) and since that won't take 2 hours go at 9 and have breakfast at the Driftwood cafe before doing the grocery shop and coming back at 11.
2. The water taxi to Stocking Island (shuttle drops and collects from there too) Stocking Island is a must if only to play with the stingrays who swim around your legs in the shallows, they are adorable and totally tame.

Other places to go on Exuma

Catch a fire bar
Exuma point bar if you have a car or deep pockets as it's right at the top of the island
4Cs full of half day tour - the most I've ever done in a half day. Snorkelling a blue hole, feeding iguanas, star fish bay and not forgetting the legendary swimming pigs
Latitudes if you're in the Georgetown area and want a nice restaurant with a great view

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MStanleyLondon
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Great hotel with splash restaurant and bar... Great location on water.. Some staff very helpful some could care less.. My kids love D.J. the employee, he was so friendly and gave the kids floaties to play with and was very helpful. Great shuttle service to town and water taxi. Continental breakfast included but wasn't great but you could upgrade for full breakfast for $5.

Room Tip: any rooms on the water..#19 has screen in porch
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2017

We stayed at this amazing get away. Cottage was like a movie set, with stunning views and great food. We met DJ, a host at the hotel who showed us the hotel amenities and around the resort. The day we left to visit Nassau, I realized I left something in our room and was bummed. I asked DJ if the Hideaways at Palm Bay would send it to me in Vegas. This guy sent it with a friend to our hotel in Nassau. He's an amazing person and we will miss him ..

"thanks DJ"

Pulido Family

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2017

I've stayed at the Hideaways for the past two years and will continue to stay there for years to come. The staff is absolutely amazing! DJ who works there was so kind and always happy to help. I am blessed to now call him my friend! I would recommend this property to anyone who is looking to stay in the Exumas just based on the fact that the staff is so kind and friendly. The property itself is also great and always well kept and groomed. This place is my heaven! :)

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stephanie C
Bev B, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaways at Palm Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2017

We are so, so happy that you had an AMAZING time at Hideaways!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We will pass your review along to our staff and management. DJ will personally be commended for his efforts in making sure your vacation was a memorable one.

Have a fantastic summer we can't wait to see you back again soon!

Warmest regards,

0,2 km away
Exuma Beach Resort
Exuma Beach Resort
#5 of 14 in Great Exuma

Been to Hideaways at Palm Bay? Share your experiences!