“Amazing Experience!”

Handmaid Tours Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Orglandes
Reviewed 6 July 2015

John Flaherty of HMT provided my family an amazing experience as he guided us through the Utah and Omaha Beach areas of Normandy. His breath of knowledge of the events on and surrounding D-Day is amazing and his manner reflects a caring and a passion for initiating others to all the momentous events that occurred there. John was great with my wife and kids and was extremely patient and informative with my numerous questions. I particularly enjoyed hearing about how events transpired on the Axis side as well as how popular culture has gotten many things wrong about the events of the invasion ( andbelieve me...the truth is fascinating!). I would heartily recommend HMT and John Flaherty without reservation, for tourists and history buffs alike. Fantastic experience!

Reviewed 7 June 2015

Latest reviews just came to our attention as we had recommended this trip to friends. They were concerned about our experience in light of these latest lambasts. My husband has taken the tour twice, the second time I went and brought my 89 year old father, a WWII vet who served in France. John couldn't have been kinder to my dad, tailored the tour so he could visit familiar places and personally tended to my dad's bronchitis by dealing with the local pharmacy! He was positive, respectful and knowledgeable. The tour exceeded my expectations, and my dad was truly treated like a hero. I could go on, but suffice it to say, if these negative reviews are accurate, something has changed. I hope John reads this and responds to the issues so he can continue his excellent historical tour. I had to put a date of our visit with options that only go back a couple of years. We actually visited several years ago.

3  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed 7 November 2014

As some of the other reviews have indicated, John has a big anti-American chip on his shoulder, and goes out of his way to insult his American guests--insinuating that many of the well-documented heroics of American soldiers (Pointe du Hoc, etc.) on D-Day are inaccurate and fabricated tales created years later from their hazy memories. Don't waste your time and money on his tour and personal insecurities.

7  Thank Neal N
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

3  Thank Neal N
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As a grandchild of a D-Day Veteran, visiting the beaches of Normandy, the cemeteries, villages, Point du Hoc, etc. was one of the best day trips I have ever done. The sites are well kept, solemn, and not flooded with tourists. In my opinion, this is probably one of the most important historical sites in recent history. We hired private tour guide John Flaherty of Hand Maid Tours, whom I DO NOT RECOMEND, however, there are some very good guides, private and semi private that are good alternatives.

John is an interesting guy. Americans beware! We hired John (very expensive) because he was really the only private guide left for our last minute trip to Normandy. John is British, and you will get a very biased (and inaccurate) version of history about D-Day and the sites. I thought it rather rude that while standing at the American Cemetery, he took the opportunity to state that McDonalds and KFC were the only great things that Americans are known for and that was "such a failure of a great society". I took that as a personal insult at my grandfather who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He will take every opportunity to take cheap shots at Americans, which at American WWII memorials, is sad. He is a self proclaimed historian, who has never visited the US, but claims to be collaborating with Discovery and History Channels. I was very offended and disappointed by his demeanor. All three of my travel friends were shocked at his lack of respect and knowledge. He seemed to be jealous that he didn't have any relatives who were in the war. We paid almost $800, and he only takes cash. I guess the spelling of "Maid" in his company name should have been an indication of his tours... I wish we had seen the other reviews on him before we had booked as they have similar things to say. Very disappointed, but with another tour company, it's well worth the money. He did drive us around to the sites we wanted to see, so we'll chalk it up to an expensive taxi ride with an annoying driver.

3  Thank COskier349