“A Rebuttle to bad reviews!”

Handmaid Tours Day Tours
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Orglandes
Reviewed 7 June 2015

Latest reviews just came to our attention as we had recommended this trip to friends. They were concerned about our experience in light of these latest lambasts. My husband has taken the tour twice, the second time I went and brought my 89 year old father, a WWII vet who served in France. John couldn't have been kinder to my dad, tailored the tour so he could visit familiar places and personally tended to my dad's bronchitis by dealing with the local pharmacy! He was positive, respectful and knowledgeable. The tour exceeded my expectations, and my dad was truly treated like a hero. I could go on, but suffice it to say, if these negative reviews are accurate, something has changed. I hope John reads this and responds to the issues so he can continue his excellent historical tour. I had to put a date of our visit with options that only go back a couple of years. We actually visited several years ago.

3  Thank Elizabeth S
"utah"
"history"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 7 November 2014

As some of the other reviews have indicated, John has a big anti-American chip on his shoulder, and goes out of his way to insult his American guests--insinuating that many of the well-documented heroics of American soldiers (Pointe du Hoc, etc.) on D-Day are inaccurate and fabricated tales created years later from their hazy memories. Don't waste your time and money on his tour and personal insecurities.

7  Thank Neal N
Reviewed 2 November 2014 via mobile

3  Thank Neal N
Reviewed 17 July 2014

As a grandchild of a D-Day Veteran, visiting the beaches of Normandy, the cemeteries, villages, Point du Hoc, etc. was one of the best day trips I have ever done. The sites are well kept, solemn, and not flooded with tourists. In my opinion, this is probably one of the most important historical sites in recent history. We hired private tour guide John Flaherty of Hand Maid Tours, whom I DO NOT RECOMEND, however, there are some very good guides, private and semi private that are good alternatives.

John is an interesting guy. Americans beware! We hired John (very expensive) because he was really the only private guide left for our last minute trip to Normandy. John is British, and you will get a very biased (and inaccurate) version of history about D-Day and the sites. I thought it rather rude that while standing at the American Cemetery, he took the opportunity to state that McDonalds and KFC were the only great things that Americans are known for and that was "such a failure of a great society". I took that as a personal insult at my grandfather who landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He will take every opportunity to take cheap shots at Americans, which at American WWII memorials, is sad. He is a self proclaimed historian, who has never visited the US, but claims to be collaborating with Discovery and History Channels. I was very offended and disappointed by his demeanor. All three of my travel friends were shocked at his lack of respect and knowledge. He seemed to be jealous that he didn't have any relatives who were in the war. We paid almost $800, and he only takes cash. I guess the spelling of "Maid" in his company name should have been an indication of his tours... I wish we had seen the other reviews on him before we had booked as they have similar things to say. Very disappointed, but with another tour company, it's well worth the money. He did drive us around to the sites we wanted to see, so we'll chalk it up to an expensive taxi ride with an annoying driver.

3  Thank COskier349
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 July 2013

John Flaherty is superb in portraying not only the movements and statistics of the D-Day Invasion, but also the stories that accompanied it.
He often books extended tours, so we were just lucky, that he was available during our visit!

The communication and booking were very organised, and he met us at our hotel the morning of the tour.
John had asked us what we wanted to see, but because we were not familiar with the area, we asked him to plan our 2-day tour and we were extremely pleased with the mix of sites visited. From bunkers to beaches to churches, tunnels and cemeteries, we gained a unique perspective.
What an amazing way to learn more about the history of this time!

His knowledge shared with us on the landings, German and American weapons, movements, battles and losses provided the historical context for the war. His amazing stories about individuals provided a human context to this war, and kept us engaged throughout the 2 days!
The booklet he prepared for us on our specific Hand Maid Tour, was a nice take-away to share with our family and friends.

What an experience - If he is available, I highly recommend John's Hand Maid Tours!

Websites: