“Cute place, great owner onsite, but DO NOT...”
other travellers have booked this property
Fully stocked kitchen
Bright, clean,breezy interior New firm mattress
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Bright, clean,breezy interior
New firm mattress
Dine or relax on covered porches
Surrounding hillside of Coral Bay Harbor
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
LBee123
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Cute place, great owner onsite, but DO NOT ATTEMPT without 4WD!”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 for a stay in October 2013

My DH and I stayed here in early October, and the place is just as cute as the photos show. The owner lives downstairs, but both she and the location are very, very quiet. I consider myself very sensitive to noise on a normal day, and I really wanted peace and quiet for our trip, and this place was great. There are wild chickens and roosters all over St. John and they are annoying at sunrise, but that is probably the case anywhere on St. John.

I was foolish enough to rent a sedan on St. Thomas (took the car ferry over) because I have a lot of experience driving a regular car on dirt roads in rural areas, and so figured it would be no big deal to get to this cottage with a sedan. BIG MISTAKE!! St. John has not only dirt roads, but enormous pothole/boulder dirt roads. I only popped a tire, but I'm surprised I didn't lose a bumper, the exhaust, and/or the oil pan. Easily could've happened, and I was driving the absolute slowest speed I could go up the hill to the cottage. Just get the Jeep! Trust me on this!

The owner has a sweet outdoor cat who may come visit you on the outside porch when you're home. He is indoors with the owner when she is home, but he is never allowed in the cottage, so folks with allergies need not be worried. He is very clean and not pushy, but if you want to pet him, he appreciates it.

One note on entertainment: We were thinking we'd watch a Netflix movie or something at night, but the wifi signal wasn't strong enough for streaming, and HBO.go and Showtime's download/stream service won't grant access because it thinks you're in another country. Bring a couple DVDs or download on the mainland before you leave if you want to watch something in the evening!

We cooked most of our meals here, and we liked knowing we had laundry facilities if needed, though we didn't use them. We also were worried about the lack of A/C, but you're high enough on the hill that when combined with the open-air construction and fans, it is more than comfortable, day or night. The deck view of the mountains and valleys dotted with pastel houses was nice after spending all day on the water.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here. The owner was fantastic to deal with and very helpful when we needed something, but not at all in our space otherwise.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Lovely decor and deck
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Connie198...
New York, New York, United States
“the perfect honeymoon!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013

The title of my review sums it all up for us - this was the perfect honeymoon! My wife and I (both 30 yrs age) were looking for a secluded cottage in a beautiful setting to enjoy our honeymoon and this place fit the bill. I had never rented from vrbo/tripadvisor before and found the reviews and photos to be very accurate. The weather during our stay was beautiful: warm and sunny during the day, and breezy and cool at night. The cottage has screened doors on all sides of both levels, making for very comfortable sleeping, not to mention the chorus of cricket calls to fall asleep to and bird songs to wake up to. Other guests stayed in the sister cottage during our stay, but the two cottages are separated by trees and a fair distance apart so it wasn't a distraction for us. My wife was a mosquito magnet during the trip which limited our time outside on the porch, in the hammock, etc. There is a good bit of forest surrounding cabin. I, however, had relatively no mosquito bites for whatever reason (so I guess between the two of us the mosquitoes were average :). We would both come back again!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The kitchen and bedroom
Liked least: wish there was a TV to watch sports on
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Management Response
9 Jun 2013
There IS Cable TV, 36" Flat Screen at cottage.
hobiecats...
michigan
“Absolute Heaven at Catch n Keep Cottage - fresh mountain air and relaxation!”
Reviewed 2 January 2012 for a stay in December 2011
person found this review helpful

This was my 3rd trip to STJ and each time I have rented a different cottage in the Coral Bay area. I selected Catch n Keep this year because I was intrigued by the eclectic and colorful decor of the cottage and the many screened windows and doors as well as the covered decks. Upon arrival I was not disappointed! The cottage is adorable and spacious for a studio. There are beautiful views of the lush, green mountainside surrounding the covered porch where you can comfortably sit and read or take your meals. Tropical breezes blow through the well ventilated cottage day and night keeping the bugs away and it is truly wonderful to breath the fresh, clean mountain air. The kitchen is supplied with all the necessary items should you decide to cook - I did not cook at all during my 7 nights here, I prefer to let Shipwreck or Concordia take care of that detail for me. There is also a grill provided for your use as well as coolers, beach chairs, and snorkeling gear. The bed is comfortable and the sheets were nice quality. I also loved the shower which was appointed with two windows and natural rock walls adorned with seashells of different sizes, shapes, and colors artfully placed within the rocks. One of my absolute favorite things about life on STJ is showeing in the rainwater - it feels amazing on your skin. For me it is such a gift to be able to bathe in water free of the chemicals and chlorine that is present at home. As with most places in STJ, the hot water supply is minimal (not a 75 gallon hot water tank like at home) so get used to taking a much shorter or cooler shower than at home but really it is no big deal because when you are in the tropical weather you don't really need a 20 minute hot shower. The sitting area of the cottage is comfortable and what I really enjoyed was the huge variety of CD's and books. The cottage is a short drive to Coral Bay and the road is good. If you have never been to STJ before, you have to get yourself in a different mindset before driving on the island and realize that it is normal for some roads to be steep and a little bumpy. Remember your vacation should be a fun, exciting, adventure! The road to Catch n Keep was a piece of cake compared to some of the roads to other cottages I have stayed it. It is completely safe! I travel frequently and I HIGHLY recommend you stay at this cottage for a true STJ experience! You will only be a 15 minute drive from Trunk Bay beach or any of the other north shore beaches and you will be about 10 minutes from Salt Pond. Also, there are so many great restaurants in Coral Bay but really the ABSOLUTE best is Shipwreck so make sure you try it. I really cannot express to you how much I loved this cottage. I certainly hope to return someday soon.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I loved the open air feel with constant breezes blowing through the cottage
Liked least: I loved everything about this cottage
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing