See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

Very good hotel. Rooms quiet when not facing main road. Personnel very helpful and welcoming. Breakfast ok. Eggs, juice, tea, coffee, fruits and fresh bread. Pinar del Rio not necessarily worth a visit but if you stop by, this hotel is a good choice.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2018

This property is centrally located in the city of Pinar del Rio, Cuba, the property is very clean, dining room is very nicely decorated, the bathroom is a little small for american standards, but adequate. It is centrally located, so most places are within walking distance (and if you have ever tried to get a Taxi in Cuba, you know how important walking distance is). My package included breakfast, this is made to order, includes fruits, bread, eggs. I did dine at the hotel, the food was very good and the prices are very reasonable. Rooms are in the 70 USD range.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2017

I recently spent a very enjoyable weekend at the Hotel Vueltabajo while I was in Pinar del Rio for the Cuban Baseball All Star Game.
The Hotel is Spanish Colonial in style. High ceilings, colorful tile. The rooms are small, but nice, very clean and everything in good working order. A good breakfast is served in the formal Colonial Dining Room. I look forward to returning to the Hotel Vueltabajo

Room tip: Rooms on the street side of the hotel can be noisy.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2017

This is probably the best hotel in the Pinar Del Rio area. It has a kind of faded elegance. Having said that, I will add that if you don't have high expectations you'll be a lot happier. The rooms are tiny and so are the bathrooms. Our room had one very small window that was too high up to see out of. I opened it, but that let in mosquitos, so don't do that. On the other hand, the rooms ARE air conditioned and the staff is lovely. I needed to use the services of the laundress and she brought everything back within an hour. There is no internet in most of Cuba, so don't look for that. There is a safe and a hair dryer in the room and a place to hang clothes (not a closet). The beds are not so great--particularly the pillows. The staff is kind of noisy in the hallways early in the morning as they bring out suitcases or talk on their cell phones. Breakfast is included and is not particularly good. Dinner was so-so, but the waiter was terrific and a violinist entertained. I have two important tips: The showers are extremely slippery. To be safe, put a towel down and stand on that. Also, the rooms are up a flight of steps and no elevator. However, the hotel is more than happy to carry your luggage up. I want to note that the book "Lonely Planet" states that the "rooms are spacious". They must be talking about the common rooms, like the dining rooms, because the rooms are definitely NOT spacious.

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank X6263DHcarolynb
Reviewed 13 April 2017

I stayed here one night as part of a group. This is an old hotel but has some charm. The rooms have extremely high ceilings and the lighting is poor. I had a window that seemed to face some other buildings but it was high up and didn't let in much light. I was fortunate to not have a room on the street side which would have been very noisy. Some members of our group got moved. I didn't have any amenities in the bath and only one towel. Others in the group said they had shampoo and soap. The breakfast was very limited in options. The staff appeared to be very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel. I think this would be a very neat town to visit but unfortunately we arrived at 5 in the afternoon and left at 8 the next morning.

Room tip: Rooms on street side will be very noisy.
Date of stay: April 2017