Macdonald Houstoun House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Premier Inn Livingston (M8, Jct3) Hotel(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$87
  • Restaurant
Livingston Lodge Hotel(Livingston)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$212
Champany Inn(Linlithgow)
US$132
Kaim Park Hotel(Bathgate)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Reviews (1 549)
1 549 results
All reviewshouston houselovely hotelspa breakfour posterspa facilitiesgrounds are lovelywedding receptioncourse mealsauna and steam roomlovely roomfood was lovelyone night staya lovely staybreakfast was excellentedinburgh airporthoustoun housejeremy wares restaurant
FilterAll languages
5 - 10 of 1 549 reviews
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Enjoyed a nice overnight stay prior to a flight from Edinburgh the following day.
Comfortable, spacious room. Lovely dinner and breakfast and helpful staff. Excellent value for money. Would highly recommend

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Marcello V, Cluster General Manager at Macdonald Houstoun House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Dear Lizzy036
Thank you for your very kind comments and your recommendation. I was delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay and appreciated your recognition of the food available at the hotel. We are absolutely committed to using the best ingredients and offering a first class service, so it always means a lot when this is recognised. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Very best wishes, Marcello Ventisei - Cluster General Manager

Reviewed 12 March 2018

We booked for 5 people for Afternoon Tea for a Mothers' Day treat. Definitely over priced for what we received. Cheese and pickle sandwiches are not exactly what we expected for £20 per person. Scones dry and overcooked and cakes very average. Cafetiere of coffee delivered instead of latte. To top it off we had a very stroppy waitress who held a heavy tray of hot drinks over the head of our 7 month old baby, who sitting in a high chair, as she served us. When politely asked to be careful, not only did she answer back in a very impudent manner, as she walked off she accused us of being very rude to her. We complained to the manager who could not have been nicer and sent in a rather lovely waiter to look after us. However that did not save the day as the unpleasant confrontation with the petulant waitress had spoiled our visit. We won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Cath013,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your Afternoon Tea service. Clearly this is not the service level that we would like any of our guests to experience and I would like to sincerely apologise to you. We are absolutely committed to delivering great experiences for our guests. Therefore if you would be kind enough to send me your contact details via email, I would very much welcome the opportunity to discuss this further. My email is marcello.ventisei@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I hope to hear from you soon. Best wishes Marcello Ventisei - Cluster General Manager

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I had rearranged a spa visit for my friends birthday due to the snow in January. When I called to change the date from January to March, the staff member that answered the phone insisted I hadn’t booked in. After a while the booking was found and I managed to change the date. After looking through emails before coming to my spa day (10th March) I had no confirmation of it being re arranged so I phoned and the woman who answered gave me no other information except from that I had to arrive at 12; no indication if this was for the afternoon tea or treatments.

We aimed to arrive for 12, however both the sat navs brought us to the wrong place. My friend arrived 12.03 to a rude welcome and was greeted with “that’s that cousins party here” then an eye roll as a therapist was told to stop people from getting a treatment as they thought we weren’t coming. After this was stopped my friend had to sit down and she called me to help me get to the hotel and was rushed off the phone and up to a treatment on her own, which she felt uncomfortable about, as I hadn’t even arrived yet.

I arrived at 12.10 and told I wouldn’t be having a full treatment - which was fair enough as I was late. I apologised and went up the girl said we would just be in and out, at this point I am cringing, feeling very bad and unwelcome. I put my stuff down and she said what was it for and I said a facial. She said she can’t do that in 10 minutes but couldn’t think of an alternative treatment to do in 10 minutes. From here I felt awkward and unwelcome and we left the room with no treatment (even though I had paid for it). There was no offer of a refund for the treatment that I did not receive.

I was then given a stained gown and waited for my friend. My friend came down and both were feeling awkward. My friend was explaining that the treatment room was freezing and we decided that we didn’t want to be late for the afternoon tea after how we were treated about being late for the treatments, so we headed down to reception at 12.50 (afternoon tea was booked for 1pm).

When we arrived a lovely waiter explained it wouldn’t be long and we could have a seat at any table that was set up. We sat down and waited, we got our tea/ coffee about 1.05pm and the afternoon tea was still not there. We then saw from the window that the afternoon tea was being brought over from the kitchen in the other part of the hotel, with no covers and it was raining outside, meaning the food was getting wet. We were finally served at 1.25pm (25mins late, which usually wouldn’t bother us) but we both felt this was a joke, after being treated so badly for being 3 and 10 minutes late to a treatment and the afternoon tea was so late. From here we went to the pool which was fine and got changed and went home feeling like we had received such poor customer service and felt unwanted. When we were leaving, no member of staff thanked us for coming or apologised about the treatment. The whole experience left us shaken and feeling terrible and most certainly not relaxed.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank MaiganReid1
Marcello V, General Manager at Macdonald Houstoun House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear MaiganReid1
Thank you for your review. Naturally I was very sorry to learn of your experience . I understand that my colleague Nicola has since spoken with you and has now fully resolved the situation. I do hope this has given you the confidence to return in the future and if you choose to do so then please book directly with Nicola.
Very best wishes

Marcello

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Booked a night away as had a SPA day as a gift. We arrived to find their was a problem with the water supply in the SPA ( weather cond) however we werent informed of this by the SPA till early evening so one of the very few negatives was that as we had combined the night away was this had we had earlier notice we would have tried to rebook whole weekend, ( technically room booking was set). It wasnt a major issue as we dont live far away but may have been for those travelling. The staff were lovely, very accomodsting. Room comfortable, meal in restaurant fresh nicely cooked and well presented. Will definately return. If tagging with a stay I'd advise staying the night after the SPA .

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jennybeans82, Thank you for your most valuable feedback. I was sorry to learn that the severe weather impacted some of your stay. The team were working hard in a very difficult situation to prevent this unforeseen situation impacting our guests. Therefore it is nice to read that outwith that situation you really enjoyed your stay overall and your kind comments regarding the service and the food are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, very best wishes Marcello Ventisei - Cluster General Manager.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

We visited here with another couple on Sunday 25th Feb!
The girls went for a spa day which they said they really enjoyed so that was a positive start then everything went down hill from there.
Myself and my friend were looking to catch the cup final on the tele in the bar but discovered there wasn’t even a tele never mind Sky tv. And to make matters worse the selection of alcohol was very poor.
So we went to the room after checking in to find that out tele only had 2 channels working.
After getting ready we arrived at dinner that was pre booked and then went on to order food and drinks!
I asked for water for the table and didn’t receive it the whole time we were there!
We were only served 1 drink each the whole time, and to make things worse my partner got a steak that was very rare, too rare for her so when they brought it back it was like charcoal! Was terrible service to be brutally honest!
Then as desert was coming my mate starting to feel water on his head! There was a leak in the roof and he was covered in water!
We didn’t even bother going to the bar after food as the bar and atmosphere was so bad!
To top the whole thing off we went to breakfast and got seated at the same table and the same happened with the water!

Won’t be returning to this hotel for a night away again!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George C

Dear George C, thank you for your very valuable feedback. Clearly your stay was not as we would wish and I am genuinely very sorry that this was the case. Going forward we would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in the hotel, therefore if you would be kind enough to contact me on marcello.ventisei@macdonald-hotels.co.uk I would be very happy to discuss the situation further with you. Very Best wishes, Marcello Ventisei - Cluster General Manager