“Amazing ”

Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Randa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A monument for the mountain panorama The pedestrian suspension bridge, named after main sponsor Charles Kuonen, measures a proud 494 meters in length and stretches up to a height of 85 meters above the Grabengufer ravine in Mattertal valley. The bridge is intended to be a “monument for the mountain panorama”, whereby utmost emphasis was placed on interfering as little as possible with nature – a design that worked. The transparent construction of steel cable and wire mesh integrates perfectly into the environment. Working at a dizzying height, Swiss company swissrope finished construction of the bridge in only two and a half months by using special “assembly sleds”
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We hiked up from Randa. Trail isn’t well marked. Head up from the train toward the church. You’ll see the hanging bridge on the hike signs. Hard climb up and wicked down but so worth it if you are in Zermatt. All nature instead of tourism. Plan about 3 hours.

3  Thank Chad and Susan D
"a great experience"
"worth the effort"
"i'd recommend"

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I can't agree with others here who say this only requires an hour or two- maybe if you're a super athlete. I'm in my late 50's, in decent shape but I do have some knee problems. Nonetheless, I hike regularly and move at a pretty good pace- and I'm extremely careful. I say allow at least two hours to hike up to this bridge and another two hours back down. Risk serious injury if you try to move too fast on the way up or down. I don't know if there are any emergency services available in this area but I did have have cellular service. Most importantly, carry plenty of water- especially if you do this on a hot, dry day (as I did). They recommend 3 liters per person- I say take 4 (I carry mine in bottles in a backpack). Don't risk dehydration here. I found the bridge to be a spectacular experience- but the hike to and from it is not to be taken for granted- it's a challenge for most people. Enjoy this great experience! Highly recommended+++

5  Thank ChiefRQ
Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

It took us around an hour and a half to hike up to the bridge. It’s a very hard going walk (especially if your not used to the altitude) but it’s worth it! The bridge feels wobbly but it’s fine to walk across and the views were amazing.

Great experience!

4  Thank Julieshanko
Reviewed 21 December 2017

The bridge wasn't the first option when my friend and I decided go for a hikking.
However, the path was blocked due to a posible rock slipping, so we had to change the plan.
That's when we decided to go to the bridge.
The trekking is nice and easy and the landscape is amazing, but when we got to the bridge we had a nice surprise, because we weren't expecting that.
It is really huge and it swings a lot too, but is really worth it.

6  Thank Arthur Z
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

This bridge connects two mountains which overlook the town of Randa. This is on the way to zermatt which is a very popular tourist destination. This bridge was reopened in 2017 and is undoubtedly a man made wonder.

To reach the top of the bridge there are two trekking routes and both equally difficult (one maybe lesser than the other) but the climb takes atleast 2-3 hours depending on ones fitness. The climb is pretty steep in many parts and hence a climbing stick is recommended. Pls also carry some food and water since you will not find many food joints. While climbing up is difficult so is climbing down so don't rush into it and keep atleast half a day for this activity.

Once you near the bridge what you see takes your breath away. The bridge is complete suspension and to cross from one end to the other is atleast 500-1000m if not more. While walking, the bridge swings slightly making the walk adventurous.

It's a must visit only of you want to test your fitness levels.

6  Thank DPratham