“Are you letting it slide?”
Review of Oscars Cafe

Oscars Cafe
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Hillcrest
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

My first time I have been to Oscars, I was delighted - I gave it 5 stars, the second time it was not quite the same, so 4 stars.
We had breakfast there in May 2018 - what a disappointment! There was absolutely nothing special, and if you ask me nicely,I might just send you a recipe for a bread. Everyone at our table sent the toast back - your home baked bread.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I went to lunch with my friend and ordered the quinoa salad. Now one would think that that base of the salad would be quinoa, especially given the price.
You can imagine my surprise when a salad arrived with the play 2/3 lettuce, nearly 1/3 grated carrot and somewhere hidden below all of the lettuce and carrot was a sprinkling of quinoa. Except it wasn't quinoa. It was couscous.
The waitress was polite enough to take it back with a sort if apology. Then the manager came over and explained that it was a new item on the menu (I find that hard to believe) and that he genuinely thought quinoa and couscous were the same thing.
I then opted for the falafel wrap which was satisfactory but again very average for the price.
My friend tried to order an almond milk cappuccino which was so overheated and burnt that the milk separated. They even messed it up on their second attempt so eventually we gave up and did without the coffee.
For an establishment that has been around so long I honestly don't know how the food and coffee can be so bad. They got lucky with the location and enough people with low standards to keep this place afloat.
Sadly it's another mediocre restaurant in the Upper Highway.

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I recently ordered 2 takeaway pizzas, and when I got home I saw the one is not what I ordered. The next morning I phoned to mention it, and I was offered a free replacement. The next day I was back to order something else, and also got the free replacement and a big apology for the inconvenience. Mistakes do happen, and Oscars made up for it and proved why they are one of the best restaurants in Hillcrest. With a wide variety, good food, friendly and efficient service, Oscars is highly recommended

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

Oscars is like family. We go at least once a week. There is so much to choose from and the portions are always really large. The food is not gourmet but it is familiar, comforting and always prepared to excellent standards.

The service no matter what the time of day, is always friendly, fast and nothing is ever a problem. For that standard to have been maintained over the last 10 years that we have been going there, even through ownership changes, is incredible.

If you want reasonable, good food, in large portions in a family atmosphere you cannot go wrong at Oscars.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

As a local in the area that has an abundance of good restaurants, Oscars remains one of my favourite choices. The food and service has never disappointed me.

Due to the popularity, it is often difficult to get a seat on special days, so it is advisable to book if you want to be assured of a seat at busy times.

It is a good place to meet for business coffee of a family meal. The extensive menu ensures that every bodies taste is accommodated.

Service is always efficient and friendly. Highly recommended for café and casual type meals.