“Mother’s Day !”

Add it.
The black rabbit hillcrest
Ranked #21 of 64 Restaurants in Hillcrest
Reviewed 12 May 2024 via mobile

Great food on Mother’s Day. I had award winning service with unbelievable attention to detail.

Chris and his staff were on the mark and I wish them the success they deserve!

Date of visit: May 2024
Reviewed 15 December 2023

I decided to treat my family to this well reviewe restaurant in Hillcrest, which a bit of a frive from La Lucia Glenashley. Booking was simple and we were well recieved by Phumlani. Seating was pleasant and there was a nice lively vibe. The service was quick and attentive. Skip the house wines. If you enjoy your wines go through the nice selection they have. Our starters were excellent. The souffle, beef carpaccio, pear and gorgonzolo salad all tasted really good., though i missed the pear being poached in the usual red wine...never mind. Now the mains was a mix bag. The much vaunted duck was overcooked and was almost biltong in texture, with a sickeningly oversweet orange sauce. All the right ingredients ...with absolutely no finess or culinary skill. My poor son (whose birthday it was) had only a few bites and left the rest. He even refused a take away on this.
My steak was perfectly done but the peppercorn sauce was weak and seemed a brandy thinned packet variety. My other sons steak also perfectly done and which he relished as all the flavours came together beautifully. My wife unfortunatley had to contend with an average garam masala kingklip with the most hideous serving of jasmine rice i have ever had the misfortune of tasting. It grainy and gritty...either over cooked or overly microwaved. If this was freshly cooked that day...as the manger claimed...then its back to the basic drawing board for the cook or chef. I took pains to show this rice to the waiter and manger even to allow then to feel the grit in their fingers. The waitress (Zandile) was gracious and apologetic while the manger vainly tried to explain it away. It would prudent for restaurants that customers often know food as home cooks and travellers. I have had jasmine rice in other restaurants, cooked it myself and sampled it from Thailand to Japan. Please give your customers some credit. Notwithstanding we went onto desert (it was a birthday dinner after all). This hit the spot all allround. Delicious and well presented and a fortunate and highly satisfying end to the meal. One more thing...the waiter was good...but one does not place cutlery directly onto the table surface when replacing used cutlery. This is a reputed restaurant not a side cafe. I believe my review is a fair one. I hope to revisit in the new year and trust the owners take heart and address some the of the comments. All the best.

Date of visit: December 2023