“A hidden gem”

Cafe Mayfair Hillcrest
Ranked #8 of 65 Restaurants in Hillcrest
Price range: R 367 - R 1 835
Reviewed 8 October 2020

I heard about this cafe from a friend, and it is so good we have been twice this week! It is hidden away, but the food is excellent (and unusual) and the service great. It is unlicenced, but you are welcome to take your own - and there is no corkage. I had a Naked Burger - a lamb burger with avo and rosti potato instead of a bun. This also comes with curry beans and a salad, or sweet potato fries. My wife had Ed's Salad a very filling dish with chicken, avo, bacon tomato etc, and our friend had an open sandwich of brie, bacon and onion chutney on sourdough. First class

Date of visit: October 2020

Reviewed 20 September 2020

Service is excellent and food comes quickly and is good quality.
Will definitely return.
Management is always around to check you are happy.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 12 February 2020

We enjoyed our lunch at Cafe Mayfair - lots of safe parking, wide menu, good service. Very popular venue, and although busy, the service was good and the food fresh and hot.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 10 February 2020

I had a business lunch with my staff the burger (cant remember then name) but it had all the goodies on was superb and cooked to perfection. the star of the lunch was the crispy sweet potato fries, very crunchy.

The service was outstanding and the venue a big thumbs up.
i will be back again

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 4 February 2020

I have been to cafe Mayfair on a number of occasions. I had breakfast a few times and on the whole they were of a fairly high standard. The coffee is good too. I do, however, have a few issues with the cafe. I took my grandchildren there and bought a piece of cheesecake for one of them. I was charged R50 .for nothing exceptional. Recently a friend and I had lunch there. The service was mediocre and we were constantly raising our hands to get attention for service. We both ordered a brie, rocket and bacon wrap. It was nothing short of aweful. The brie was very hard to find, as was the rocket. It was basically a tough piece of wrap (inedible) and some bacon that definitely had not been freshly cooked.They were also half the size of most other restaurants at R86. I will not even go down the road as far as the filthy bathrooms were concerned. I am aware that they are used by the whole centre but I did go back and mention how bad they were to the manager so she could report the matter. That was a waste of time as they were just as bad when I popped in a week later. Sorry Mayfair but I won't be rushing back.

Date of visit: January 2020
cafemayfairhillcrest, Owner at Cafe Mayfair Hillcrest, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2020

Hi Ruth

Apoologies for your poor experience at our Store. The Wrap you chose is one of our most popular and we have never had any issues with it before being small or not fresh. The bathrooms are the centre toilets and i do apologise if they were in an unacceptable state, I will follow this up with my staff on duty as well as the centre management. We Pride ourselves in being advocates of excellent service as well as value for money. Please email me directly so I can respond personally to you or follow up with a telephone call.

Kind regards