“Quick snack”
Review of Essence Cafe

Essence Cafe
Ranked #31 of 48 Restaurants in Hillcrest
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Friendly service, good atmosphere, one of the few places where there are many vegetarian options for breakfast. Going back with my family.

There are newer reviews for Essence Cafe

Reviewed 13 June 2017

Convenient café if using the upper entrance at Hillcrest Corner. My first (and probably only) visit wasn't great. My wife and I opted for breakfast. The food was OK but the service wasn't, making the overall experience poor. It started with the waitress (who never introduced herself nor came across as friendly) spilling my wife's coffee into the saucer while serving making the biscuit soggy. There was no apology or offer to refill. The manager (bald guy who talked on the phone while pacing up and down so assumed him to be the manager) looked bored and yawned several times while in front of patrons without regard for trying to cover it up. This feeling of apathy filtered down to the staff as we noticed that it took some time for waiters to clear and wipe tables after patrons had left. The chair at our table was broken showing splinters on the back rest. The walls were littered with chipped paint from chairs being knocked into the wall. Our empty cups were left on the table well into the meal without any offer for another order and at no time did the waitress or manager enquire as to how our experience was, otherwise I may have advised them directly of my experience rather than resorting to a more formal approach on a restaurant review site. I doubt I'll be back as there are just too many options in the area to have to compromise on friendliness and service,

2  Thank NauticalVoyager
Reviewed 21 March 2017

We recently had a meal at Essence but were not that impressed. The food was average, the service was OK but not outstanding. I'll try again in a month or two....

1  Thank PixmanSA
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Went through last week with my wife and this week we were joined by another couple. The Iced coffee is one of the best around, and the cream scone accompaniments that we had should have been one per couple.
Pricey, but very fresh with adequate butter, jam and cream. Be prepared to take a "doggy bag" away, unless you are really hungry. The scone is a meal in itself. The other light bites that we ordered were very generous in size and paled the seemingly high price.
Been there twice in two weeks and will not hesitate to return.

Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

The portions are good and the food is tasty. The chocolate cake was very good. I asked for a black americano and it came in a mug so it was very weak. My second coffee was an espresso which was very good