“Lovely place, really nice staff but pricey food was a let-down.”
Review of The Aspinall Arms

The Aspinall Arms
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Whalley
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Went for a reunion and we'd booked a table for 12. they gave us the large round table and it was perfect. The venue is lovely and all the staff members were really friendly and helpful.
However, the menu disappointed me as there were lots of "fancy" dishes and few down-to-earth ones. There wasn't one thing on the starter menu I could have enjoyed. The main menu left me just as disappointed as like the starters, the dishes were all pretentious! Many of them were very expensive as well.
I opted for the cheese, onion and potato pie which came with a sauce that I didn't really want but there wasn't much else on the menu I liked. The pie was bland and although not too expensive, it was pricey for what you got! The carrots were black underneath and the veg serving was minimal.
I don't normally eat a dessert after a good meal but I was still hungry so I had a dessert, which was just ice-cream so you cannot fail with that!
Wouldn't go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 030)

36 - 40 of 1 030 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We walked approximately 2 miles for a drink and evening meal at this pub on the 27/6/18. There were plenty of empty tables but soon found out that there was no chance of any food. Even the barbecue wasn't up and running. Bookings only, apparently! One member of staff said that it was because they were running out of food ridiculous, especially when you consider most of it comes out of the freezer anyway. My 'one star' goes to the poor members of staff who had to deliver the bad news. Several couples/parties arrived after us and all failed to get a meal. Personally I will go somewhere less pretentious next time. There is plenty of competition in the Ribble Valley and the Aspinall Arms needs to 'buck up'
There was nothing for it but to walk the 2 miles back home ☹️

Reviewed 28 June 2018

We recently had a meal at the Aspinall arms, it was a busy night due to the lovely sunshine, the staff were friendly and hardworking and tried their best.The setting is lovely! We had ordered 3 rib eye steaks , and my daughter ordered burger (she liked the burger); the steaks were nice but the tomatoes/ mushrooms that came with it where tepid and it came with oven chips! I don't cook oven chips at home so why would I want to go out for a meal and pay £23.95 for a rib eye steak and get oven chips! I though that was a disgrace! I told the staff I thought the meal was disappointing and they have a loyalty card scheme and gave me some extra card to use in the future. Would I want to go back ? NO, not for a meal but would be ok for a snack and drink.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

My friends arrived at 5.30 ordered drinks found a table, there were plenty available. Went to order food to be told they were booked to capacity? How does that happen in a half empty pub. we were going to join them for a few drinks but that has been scuppered.... We won't be hurrying back there anytime soon. The polite way would have been to state they were fully booked when they arrived not to wait until they had already bought drinks.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Had lunch today at the Aspinall Arms . Not been before. It is in a delightful setting by the river Ribble. The menu is interesting and varied. The pan-fried chicken was lovely and we all enjoyed the restaurant. The service was friendly and relaxed in spite of it being very busy. We will certainly return again.