Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
StayForLong
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 December 2017

We stayed here for 6 days from 10 to 17 december 2017

I am sorry, but I can really not recommend this hotel.
- it is situated on the main street, our room was at the front, meaning very noisy during day and night: trucks passing by or stopping in front of the hotel, people yelling
- the hotel was not clean at all: sheets were not fresh, public parts of the hotel were not clean
- the swimming pool was a disappointment: dirty water, and when we arrived there, there was even a dog inside!
- the state of the hotel was neglected: some parts need a thorough renovation. the garden was overgrown, no nice place to sit
- internet was not working at all
- the water in the shower was cold most of the time (i don't know how you can accomplish that when the weather outside is 30+ degrees celcius, but they managed that :-)

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
PortervilleHotel, Owner at Porterville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Hi,
Thank you for your review which is a little disappointing.
Just to clarify:
We have severe drought in the Western Cape and severe water restrictions and the maintaining of the swimming pool is difficult which is why it is out of bounds during these times as stated on all of our booking platforms.
The gardens are maintained regulary and during your stay we hosted many end of year functions outside in the gardens so I am surprised by these comments.
The sheets are cleaned and changed regularly and rooms serviced every morning and again I am surprised that you did not bring any problems to our attention whilst you were here.I gave you the WIFI code and again as stated on booking platforms the WIFI is available in public areas only. It was in use the whole time during your stay as we use it for our business, internet, emails etc (I am on it now).
Again if you read the booking platfroms the hotel is undergoing renovations as we bought it a short time ago and indeed it does need updating.
With regard to the shower water again I am surprised that you did not mention this during your stay and surprised that other guests on the same water line did not have this probelm.
I think your gripes may be connected with the fact that you were here for the paragliding competition and space was found for you at someone elses house with your firends and you requested to cancel your stay after 3 nights.
Then when we were expecting you to depart you chose to stay. I don't know if this has anything to do with losing one night's payment due to cancellation or alteration within 24 hours notice, but I am disappointed that none of your issues were brought to our attention in 6 days and that you decided to stay when the hotel is so bad and you had other accommodation.
If you are ever in the town again in the future we would like you to visit and see the improvements being made and we would invite you for a meal on us to discuss this further.
I hope that your competition went well.

Reviewed 2 September 2016

And once again i went away for a couple of days this time i have decided to go to the hotel in porterville cause it really looked nice with its beautifull garden and swimming pool.the booking was made for the room with a carpet and we just needed a overnight stay,Upon our arrival nobody was at the reception..i then went through to the bar and a lady assisted me.just giving me the key and directing me as to how to walk to the room.no information given as to breakfast,what they offer nothing.When i got to the room i saw No carpet....No dstv and the television standing infront of the mirror..difficult to move it....the garden looked as it was not maintained for months and the swimming pool area looked bad with water that had a green colour.So yes it was abit dissapionting though.but ..the funiture was beautifull ....And also a sign indicating busy with renovations,also when i did the booking no one informed me about the renovation situation.....so my suggestion is should you wanna make a booking just make sure that the renovations is finished.....other than that they are a bunch of friendly people.

Room tip: not sure as to what the other rooms had extra as i was sleeping in room nr7
Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank ursula j
Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

Thank you so much to these lovely 2 friendliest people. I will go there anytime. Wich hotel owner will make you a toasted sami at 12 at night and move you to the honeymoon sweet just to be more comfortable. Will definitely be back.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Marijke E
Reviewed 15 March 2016

We spent the weekend at the Porterville Hotel together with a group of old school friends whose sons were playing in the rugby tournament. The hotel is under new management, apparently 6 months now. Renovations have started on the hotel, but there is a lot of work still to be done. I do believe this hotel will be awesome in a year or two, but what was absolutely fantastic was the hospitality of the owners. Wow, you could ask for anything, anytime and alas, you would have it. They go out of their way to accommodate you in all aspects. Very very affordably priced. Food is excellent. The bar stays open till all hours of the night - as long as their patrons are still having fun. Nothing is too much effort for the staff & management of this hotel. Well done guys, you are doing well. Once all your upgrades are complete, I am sure you will be fully booked regularly.

Room tip: Room 1 renovated and beautiful. Room 1 and 2 only have showers. Others have baths. After all, Rome was not built in a day.
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Karin T
Reviewed 22 February 2016

When we arrived, i thought that this will be a horrible night... The place do not look good on the outside. Inside is a different story. Yet old and out-dated, it is a great place. Our rooms were clean, and the bar and restaurant was really pleasing. We found a huge pool at the back and even though they are still building around it, we had a great time. Food was amazing as well! Will be going back!

Date of stay: February 2016