“Nice food in the centre of Castel del Monte”
Review of La Loggia

La Loggia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2016

We had a very tasty lunch in La Loggia in the central square of Castel del Monte, just outside the medieval centre of this beautiful town in the Gran Sasso Mountains. After a hike in the snow up on the Campo Imperatore and a visit to the nearby Santo Stefano (worth a visit!) we ended up here, directed to this restaurant by a local bricklayer. We had the local antipasti, different sorts of very nice local salami and ham and cheese, ricotta balls in tomato sauce and 'culatello', lamb's liver, which was very good, tender, tasty, delicious! Followed by the first course, we tried 4 different types of pasta: ravioli with beets and ricotta (delicious), pasta with the local lentils (very tasty), gnocchi with truffel and porcini mushrooms (very nice but heavy!) and pasta with sausage, egg and saffron (very good). This all accompanied by a nice local red wine. We decided it was enough and took a coffee to see us travel home safely. We paid €20 per person, a bit on the expensive side for Abruzzo standards, but for foreigners it was okay.

Date of visit: May 2016

Reviewed 13 February 2016

Enjoyed lunch here, having a spectacular anti-pasto, some lovely fresh pasta made in the restaurant, and a secundo - actually ate rather too much, but it was not difficult! More comments about the food below.

I was taken as a guest, and didn't see the bill, so am not sure about value for money, but I sense that this is not an expensive restaurant.

More-or-less in the centre of Castel del Monte, its next to a rather unappealing café, but set back from the road; I don't think I would have noticed it, if just wondering through the village looking for somewhere to eat.

In a first floor house that has been converted to a restaurant, the atmosphere could be a little cosier, and the views - in a village which has a spectacular location - are very limited, (but then one hardly goes to eat, just to stare out the window).

I read several of the recent reviews, and saw that 2 reviewers have given very poor markings. Obviously, we all have different tastes / standards, but I was surprised - our experience there being very different.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 7 November 2014

I had the pleasure to stay in wonderful Castel del Monte during the summer of 2014 and went to La Loggia restaurant. Their food was excellent!! As a family owned business, everyone was very nice and charming. People were absouletly friendly, going above and beyond to ensure that we all had excellent service and a wonderful time... and the food was very authentic and delicious.
Definitely a place to visit while you are in town.

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank Katherine C
Reviewed 30 October 2014

This family run business is close to the piazza at the center of the village. It's also the site of one of my more memorable meals in Castel del Monte. Went for lunch with my family and found myself seated at table adjacent to a father having lunch with his daughter - a girl perhaps no older than 4. We each had several courses - me, a light pasta dish, to start, that was precisely what I hoped it would be - while they shared some skewers that came in this little jar, which the little girl timidly dipped into sauce. As I sat there, watching her father encourage her in her lunchtime endeavor, I was struck with the thought that this scene - facilitated by this wonderful family run restaurant - seemed to summarize this village in so many ways. It's an experience to seek out. As for the food, it was probably the best meal I had in the village. Clearly, the food and atmosphere drew the people that filled the room.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank kevin r
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stopped at La Loggia for a quick bite and drink mid-day. I must say that the atmosphere, distinctly local, was very nice, and the young man who served us was great. However, the food is literally "out of the packet" fare. If you just want a very basic bite and drink, and there is nowhere else on offer, then go here -- not least as the waiters are very attentive and kind. But otherwise I would give it a miss.

Date of visit: August 2014