“The Jury is Out”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2018

If you are a professional restaurant critic or a local you can reach your conclusions based on a number of visits. If you are passing through, first impressions are all you have to go on-and your life experience. Michelin rates this restaurant as a Bib Gourmand and the only restaurant recommended in town. So, of course, we gave it a try. We were underwhelmed.

Would have to say the service was cordial and professional. Our pasta course was very good, but not enhanced by being served at room temperature. A very lovely salad was shared. Skipping the local specialties of horse meat and donkey meat, and salami, the latter served everywhere in the region, we would have been quite content with a fine dessert to complete a light lunch. The desserts were adequate, but nothing to write home about.

The waiter made a point of saying he was serving us house bread. Pity, it wasn't made today. There is no wine list. The restaurant, though takes pride in their wine selection. I prefer to make my own choices. True, they may have a strong idea of what wines go best with their dishes, but that should still be the choice of the customer. Not knowing what they had, I mentioned two Italian whites that we enjoy. The waiter brought out two bottles of decent wines from the Veneto and Alto Adige. Certainly acceptable, but I don't know if there was another bottle in stock I would have preferred.

This is an agreeable restaurant in a very faded spa town. Perhaps we would have been happier with other dishes on the menu. Michelin is usually quite reliable. Not today.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Delicious food and the service was very good. Kind people.
There is organic and local food as well as wine.
A lovely place!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

We've enjoyed a lovely dinner at the osteria.
Good service, good wine and good quality food. We can eat a lot and the portions were not tiny as mentioned in other comments. We've had pasta, ravioli and tagliatelle, both yummie and vitello tonato what was very nice. The semi Fredofor dessert was excellent.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 10 July 2017

I discovered this little gem on my last day in Salsomaggiore Terme and sharing a taable with an Italian friend I was introduced some local specialities which I wouldn’t have ordered without her advice. I savoured the gnocchi and ravioli half portions but was surprised by the cold vegetable soup..should have asked rather than assumed. Our lunch was leisurely and we enjoyed al fresco dining in the shade on a quiet sunny Monday

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 18 October 2016

We lead small culinary tours in Italy and after visiting Salsomaggiore this summer and dining at Osteria del Castellazzo, we decided to bring our group here on our tour in September. Laura was amazing to deal with in helping me set up a menu for the group, highlighting their specialities and typical dishes of the area. She even inquired as to any allergies or dietary needs & offered to adjust as needed. When we arrived, we had a private room for the group, and the staff was very informative and attentive. The Tortelli d'Erbette was, I think, possibly the group's favorite pasta of the trip, and if you go, definitely get the Sbrisolona for dessert! Thank you again to Laura and her staff for a wonderful evening!

Date of visit: September 2016