All reviews derby bar budget hotel early night comfy seats water pressure we've stayed ghost bar minute walk amanda march runs skiing lift
Reviewed 24 January 2018

We've stayed as a family of 5 a couple of times now. Ticks all the boxes for us.
Good location, Very friendly staff, great vibe in the downstairs bar and always a welcome smile at Breakfast time.
Spacious rooms ideal.
Returning yet again in March with the family and friends ( & extended family ! )
Can't wait

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

This hotel is 2 star and basic. However please don't let this put you off. The rooms are more than adequate cleaned every day. The only issue I had as did all the other guests was the water pressure was not good.
Amanda who looks after the hotel is amazing. Nothing is too much trouble and more than helpful. Supplied a lovely breakfast. We had to leave at 6.30am so she came in early in order for us to have our breakfast before we left.
The bar area is great and the staff very welcoming. Big shout out to Corrine again helpful and knowledgeable of the area.
Frank owns and runs the bar also very friendly.
You can take food into your room which was great.
Places to eat were good. My suggestions would be Ghost Bar, Village Inn. If you want take away there is pizza, pannini place just a few steps from the hotel. Very good value. €2.50 for a big slice. Fabulous.
Remember you are on a mountain so walking anywhere is uphill lol. Great getting back
I would recommend this hotel and would not hesitate going back.
Again massive thanks to all at Hotel Derby x

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Gill B
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

The pension is run by Amanda who is just lovely. It’s basic but does what it’s supposed to do. It’s clean, comfy and breakfast plentiful. The bar is really great fun and the team lovely. We spent pretty every night in the Derby bar and it’s the best bar in town with live music also.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 December 2016

I like to get 3 or 4 snowboarding trips in during the ski season, so some of them have to be low cost, convenient and friendly.

I can look after myself, so all I need is a few beers and a bed after a hard days riding. For me the Hotel Derby fits the bill perfectly.

I think I've stayed here 4 times now, which says a lot because its actually the only hotel I've ever returned to. Sometimes with friends, I've also stayed solo. Now I have friends in Sauze too... that's the kind of place this is. Some of my best snowboarding ventures have been here with the locals taking me along with them. Including Frank, Amanda & Careen.

The staff are awesome. The tunes are fantastic. The fires roaring. The games are fun. and the atmosphere in the bar area is legendary.

Yes, the rooms are very basic and there aren't many luxuries, but it's kept clean, warm and positive. The team are really helpful and if you need any advice or guides its ideal.
Its never been too noisy and I've stayed in rooms over the bar, but that's subjective on how heavy a sleeper you are or how much ale you've consumed.

Its a very personal experience without all the bells and whistles, so if you keep this in mind before you stay and you might become very, very fond of the place.

Room Tip: Some rooms open onto a cobbled walkway, so take some ear plugs just in case you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Alec B
Reviewed 20 April 2016

The hotel is located centrally in Sauz, with a 5 minute walk through the town to the nearest chairlift (Clotes). However, there is a really convenient ski and boots storage right beside the Clotes chairlift - 30 euros per week where I left my skis and boots each day (to make the walk to and from the chair easy-peasy!).
The hotel proprietress Amanda is lovely and really helpful. Rooms were basic (e.g. no TV, minibar or Corby trouser press!), but were always clean, warm and comfy. But then, this is a budget hotel and for the money it was great value in a fantastic resort.
As other reviewers have said, it can get noisy as there is a bar that is part of the hotel on the ground floor (not a problem for me - I just closed the window and went back to sleep). I would suggest that if you want one of the quieter rooms, ask for one at the front of the hotel (my room looked right down onto the bar!).
Breakfast is simple but again is good - cold meat, cheeses, cereals, toast etc ... and REAL fruit juices (I have stayed in expensive 5 star hotels that use that yukky watered down squash-like stuff!).
The bar is good value and those staying at the hotel get a discount (I never worked out what it was, but drinks always seemed cheaper there than at other bars).
Overall then, excellent value for what it is, great for groups of friends, ideal for younger clientele, or those like me who are not bothered by a bit of noise, and if I'm on a tight budget I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Store your boots and skis by the lift
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo