Review Highlights
Beautiful greek doric temple

At the entrance on the right side stands the beautiful and smallest of three temples. Traditionally... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
thomasozbun
Vicenza, Italy
Surprisingly Manificent and Graceful

You can see it from the car as soon as you turn toward the archaeological area. Unexpectedly big... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
novellizaza
Geneva, Switzerland
via mobile

All reviews hidden treasure ancient greek architecture magna graecia archaeological area large site the main road beautiful greek century bc athena pediment ceres columns euro cars nature ruins route
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Taking a tour bus from Sorrento along the coast route, the views were spectacular but, it did take 5 hours. We had a large group and split into two, each having an English speaking guide. It's hard to imagine standing in Greek ruins built about 450 BC. 3 temples to visit plus the Roman ruins that came later. Being farther away, the crowds were absent which made the tour more enjoyable. Drive back to Sorrento was much faster because the inland highway was taken.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 19 June 2018

The first thing you see is the ancient wall, massive sandstone blocks which have laid perfectly straight for millennia and then you see the temples......
I was like a small child bouncing in the car 'lets go there!!!!' They are truly mesmerising.
I didn't notice paying I was so distracted, if they'd asked for any amount I would have paid it. The entry was around 10 euro so not much.
You have virtually unhindered access to the temples and I just marvelled at how people managed to create such structures so many years ago.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 28 May 2018

The simplest of the three Greek temples at Paestum, the Temple of Athena (previously known as the Temple of Ceres) is still stunning and really well preserved.

Built of limestone in approximately 500BC, it has a very high, well preserved pediment and Doric frieze. Beautifully proportioned, with 13 columns on the long sides, 6 on the short sides.

Date of experience: May 2018
2  Thank wendyanddavid536
Reviewed 15 May 2018 via mobile

There are three big temples in Paesteum and this one is the first you find when you enter. In my opinion not as espectacular as the other two but the portico is espectacular

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 7 April 2018

The way these temples are listed on Tripadvisor is a little confusing, but don't let that stop you visiting. I have left my main review on Hera's page, but what I will say is that it makes me wish I could give an extra high rating for this whole Greek site. Of all the places I have visited over the years this was the one that really really got to me.
Go, just go and wander in the footsteps of the Greeks and Romans.
And as a special bonus, just imagine in the mid 1960's Patrick Troughton was fighting off Ray Harryhausens Harpies around the Temple of Hera.

Date of experience: April 2018