“A hotel to avoid”
Review of Hotel La Certosa

Hotel La Certosa
Ranked #20 of 47 Hotels in Massa Lubrense
Reviewed 3 August 2016

This hotel was a total disappointment!
We, me and my wife, stayed three nights at this hotel in June 2016. We got a bedroom on the second floor with sea view and balcony. Thought we. But we were wrong. The room was rather little and dark and was connected to the roof terrace by a small and long corridor. The roof terrace was very tiny, did not have place for two chairs and a table (and thus not place for two people to sit there), but it had high, thick, bricked walls. To get “see view” one had to stand tight to the wall and on tiptoe. As the hotel is located in an old building the second floor equals to at least three floors in a standard building. More exactly 2 floors here means 67 stairs from street level (no lift)! We declined the room and were offered another room on the first floor (“only” 45 stairs from street level). This room was bigger and had a big balcony. The “view” from this balcony was on the hotel backyard and 4-5 other balconies belonging to the neighbour hotel. There are only two rooms at this hotel with true sea view and balcony (actually not real balcony, only French balcony), both on the first floor (45 stairs from street level). Sunbeds belonging to the hotel are available on the beach. The towels we got to cover the sunbeds were old rugs covering only half the bed. Both the hotel and the sunbeds are located at the most busiest section of the beach just where the little harbour with a pier is. Small excursion boats loaded with tourists arrive and leave all day long. And other boats too. This means noise from the boat engines, waves from the boats all the time and occasionally the smell of fuel. Not very pleasant condition for relaxing and to swim (to have a dip in the sea we choose to go at least 20-30 meters away from our sunbeds and this section of the shore).
For us it seemed that this hotel is run by only one guy; he took care of everything (except cleaning and cooking): check in and check out, serving meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), even arranging sunbeds in the evening. Is this why it is called family hotel? The breakfast was rather basic even with Italian standards. We had dinner at the restaurant of the hotel one evening. It was OK, not more, but overpriced.
Our conclusion were that this is the hotel: where you pay a lot for something you do not get (balcony, sea view); you get a lot of exercise (climbing the high staircase several times a day); you can’t relax at the beach close to the hotel (noise, smell); you eat a simple dish but pay a lot for it.
Hotel La Certosa in Marina Del Cantona?? No, thank you!!

Room Tip: Two rooms facing the see on the first floor have french balcony and see view.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank palliativ4ever
Alfonso C, Proprietario at Hotel La Certosa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

Thank you for your review. I think you make a mistake because on our web page in the descricption you don't found the lift. Is an old monastery of 700 year you must adapt to the structure . You can see also in the 100 photos on tripadvisor post from the guest . If you have problems whit steps why you don't ask at moments of the reservation ??

Thank you from the second brothers of the family...

Best Regards

Alfonso Caputo

Reviewed 5 July 2016

Hello!
We just booked 1 week (7/31-8/6) in your hotel. We're very happy, and excited to find your hotel. I'm writing to confirm that we have a room with a balcony/terrace, and ocean view. It's ok if we have to go up the stairs to the top for a better view. Thanking you in advance for your time. We have heard so many wonderful experiences of your hotel. We can't wait! Gabriela Farruggio

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2016 via mobile

What a great place. It is a converted monastery. We had a roof top terrace room with a view of the ocean. Room was simple, comfortable and beautifully tiled. Meals served overlooking the ocean. We had dinner there on both nights. Prices were very reasonable and food was well made. Family run establishment. Very personable and friendly.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa R
Reviewed 1 May 2016

When you look at this hotel from the beach, you have no idea how nice the rooms are. You can’t even see the balconies from the beach. The hotel exterior is old and historic, but the rooms are modern and bright. This is a great town to kick back and relax. It is such a contrast from busy Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi. There is wonderful hiking nearby. I enjoyed my time in Marina del Cantone more than any other town during my two week Amalfi trip.

I believe room #49 of this hotel has the biggest balcony. The views from the balcony are extraordinary – both the ocean and you can look up the mountains to see the church on top. My balcony had four chairs and a table. The walls of the balcony were decorated by painted tiles – a very nice touch. You can still hear the ocean waves crashing when you are in your room at night.

The room was very clean. It had a funny dresser with fake drawers that didn’t open. There was no refrigerator, microwave, or safe. There was a desk and a closet with hangers.

Breakfast was served in the form of a tray for each table. It was amazing how many items I was given when I was a solo diner. There were even two different types of juice set on the table. Some of the options included fresh fruit and croissants. I was given a “real” cappuccino – not one from a machine.

Now for the things that are not so great. First of all, there is no WiFi in the room. There is WiFi in the lobby, but it was too slow to be usable and just would completely stop at times. Just plan on zero WiFi during your stay (but you can try some of the bars/restaurants further on the beach). The water pressure in the shower was very low and I found the pillows uncomfortable. However, I think these are small inconveniences compared to the phenomenal location right on the beach and wonderful balconies of this hotel.

I am really glad I spent three days doing some challenging hiking around Marina del Cantone and staying at this hotel. Find a hiking map and go to the lighthouse, the church on top the mountain, and the old fort, and war ruins. You can get great exercise by hiking, then kick back on the stone beach and chill.

Room Tip: I think room 49 has the biggest balcony
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Outdoorpartner
Reviewed 21 April 2016

I visited this very special place while traveling on my own a dozen years ago, vowing to return one day with someone special. This summer, the love of my life (with whom I reconnected nearly six years ago) and I will be spending time at the Hotel La Certosa! The views are spectacular, the hotel very clean and inviting. I have been waiting for 12 long years to return!

Room Tip: The balcony rooms have an amazing view of the cove!
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo