“The worst experience ever - cost us 500£! ”
Review of Tour of Italy

Tour of Italy
Ranked #15 of 37 Tours in Massa Lubrense
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Our driver Giovanni picked us up from our hotel without even coming inside to greet us. We were told by hotel staff he was waiting outside. He proceeded to berate us for having stayed in Amalfi so long as it was boring according to him and that we should have stayed in his city instead. When I dared enquire about the route we were taking (purely out of interest) he sarcastically told me he knew what he was doing and there was only one road to take. He dropped us off in Pompeii and we were told we were going to a family run estate restaurant - in fact, we ate at the cafe opposite the busiest entrance to Pompeii. Although it was better than it looked, it certainly wasn’t that experience we were expecting! We stopped for an espresso which was a giant highway stop where he proceeded to yell at the staff for having given him an incorrect coffee a few days prior. When we arrived in Rome he kept asking where our hotel was, the address for which I had already provided via email weeks before and again had given to him during the day. I note his son seemed very professional via email when I was organising the trip. He told us he didn’t know where it was and it “wasn’t his job to find it”. He suggested I “plug it into the computer” meaning look it up on my phone, but I didn’t have wifi. He muttered under his breath in Italian. We literally drove around in circles as he yelled at passing scooter drivers, asking for directions. When we finally arrived he told us he needed to go “pee pee” and promptly took our money and left us with our luggage. Ridiculously overpriced and nothing like the experience we were prepared to pay for. Please don’t be sucked in!

All reviews
"private driver"
"stopped several times"
"italian music"
in 2 reviews
"could not have been more"

Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I booked with Tour of Italy for a private transfer from Naples you Positano, with a stop in pompeii. We had a train delay on the way to Naples, but Giancarlo was happy to accommodate us despite the difficulty, which was much appreciated. He is an excellent driver and gave us some interesting tidbits along the way. For the stop in pompeii he dropped us off right at the entrance and gave us all the time we needed to explore the ruins (as much as we could handle anyway, pompeii is huge), and to get lunch. After about 3 hours he promptly picked us up again upon texting him and we continued our journey to Positano with a couple photo op stops along the way. We also booked our transfer back to the airport through them and both trips were exactly what we wanted, simple, convenient, professions and fun. Thank you Giancarlo!

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

I used Tour of Italy car/tour service during my Italian vacation! Giovanni (the father) picked us up at Naples train station brought us to Pompeii and the recommended a family owned restaurant for lunch (food and service) fabulous! Then he drove us to Positano where we were staying! He pointed out sites and stopped several times so we could take pictures and have handmade lemon ice! So delicious! We had such a lovely time that we booked an Amalfi day tour. Giancarlo (the son) was just as delightful as his Dad. We went to several towns along the Amalfi Coast drive, we were able to take our time, shop, take pictures and learn some history! We were brought to an amazing restaurant for lunch on a cliff with stunning views! I researched a few companies before my trip and I am so happy I booked with Tour of Italy! I would use them again and would highly recommend! Brava!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Giovanni picked us up at the Naples train station. He was so friendly and accommodating. We opted to stop in Pompeii for a couple of hours and he took us to a great place to eat that was clean and had delicious food! He stopped along the way for us to take pictures and was very well versed in English! He drove us back to the train in Naples after our stay in Positano and made sure we knew what track our train was on and again treated us to coffee and juice inside the station. Such a wonderful experience, he made us feel like family!

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 October 2017

I don't write reviews unless I feel it was worth my time to write and it warrants a good review. I don't waste my time with bad reviews because it's no longer worth my effort. That being said, it's with great pleasure that I recommend Tour of Italy to anyone and everyone. My husband and I just spent a week in the south of Italy, and had found this company in a travel blog. Best thing I've found!!! Honestly!!

The company is a family run business, which is a plus in my book. I booked online with Giancarlo and his communication was prompt, honest and there was never any hidden fees of any kind. I was especially impressed with how good and flexible the communication was. He was generous enough to help us make our train reservations and to give us travel advice.

We were greeted at the train station by Giancarlo's Father, Giovanni. What a treat!!! He was kind, enthusiastic and eager to show us HIS Italy. I was so glad we didn't hire some quiet, to himself, driver. Those are easy enough to come by, but a Giovanni is not. We were greeted with fresh bottled water and a welcome gift of a bottle of Limoncello (for later). This was totally unexpected. We've never had a driver or tour company welcome us this way.

Giovanni picked us up and, per our request, took us to lunch. He had arranged for us to eat at a Family Style restaurant above Sorrento, owned by friends, and who served up the absolute best meal we had in all of Italy. I can tell you, the home made pasta, home grown veggies and fruit were perfection. They even make their own wine! And the view...Wow. From the restaurant, you could see Sorrento on one side AND the Amalfi coast on the other. UNREAL!!! Pictures are included with this review. We would have NEVER found this restaurant without Giovanni or Tour Of Italy.

Giovanni never rushed us. As a matter of fact, he encouraged us to take our time. Whether we stopped for espresso, granita, or a potty break.

Our initial experience was so good that we hired him for a full day, my husbands birthday, to go to Vesuvius, Herculaneum, and Pompeii. He took us to lunch again, arranging a birthday surprise for my husband, and also stopped for us to shop in Sorrento. All the while, our trip was dotted with stops for espresso, granita and potty breaks.

Look, I've read some of the other reviews, and some people are put off that the drivers smoke. Well, the majority of people in Italy DO smoke. I personally do not, but never once did Giovanni smoke in front of us, and he always asked if we didn't mind if he walked the other way to do his thing, only while we were busy doing something else. In Rome, we hired an upscale driver to take us to the airport, who never said a single word to us, drove like a maniac, and who vaped the whole time, windows up, so at least with Giovanni, you know he wouldn't do that to you.

Our driver was suppose to be a means to an end. A way to get from point a to point b, but instead, he turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. Hire them, and trust them with recommendations on restaurants! We did, twice, and we were impressed.

We'll never forget Giovanni, and will think of him as we drink our Limoncello (which we carefully got home) and wish nothing but the best for their family run business.

1  Thank JHuante