Sicilian Experience - Day Tours
Review Highlights
Great walking on this wonderful islamd

Just returned from an 8 day guided walk in the northeast corner of Sicily. Montalban Elicona... read more

Reviewed 29 October 2018
pad_11
Frankfurt, Germany
via mobile
Magnificent Island, phenomenal touring with Sicilian Experience

Just returned from 12 day touring Siicily, arranged through Sicilian Experience. First of all, a... read more

Reviewed 17 October 2018
Tom B

All reviews wine tasting cheese making madonie mountains self guided walking tour sant ambrogio highlight of our trip tiny village cooking class ricotta cheese an amazing experience arancino national park sicilian food small group isn t goat risotto
Reviewed 19 July 2018

Sicily Travel.
If you ask me “was it worth the journey”? I would say no. (travelling from Australia)
If you ask me “If you have been to Italy’s mainland attractions, do I need to go to Sicily”? I would have to say no.

My expectations were high mainly due to all the talk and hype you are forever hearing
about Sicily’s sights, its food and its beauty from various TV shows and articles, but now I have to question whether travel shows are sponsored to promote in the best light. Unfortunately, we (three of us) had a different experience. After looking forward to going to Sicily for so many years it failed to Impress.

The Italy’s mainland sights Rome, Lake Como, Amalfi coast, Cinque Terre, Venice, etc, they’re awesome. The Sicily sights come in as a poor second with a higher price tag to attend, often far to travel to from your Sicilian hotel, Mount Etna is 3 hours one way from Taormina. Noto and Syracuse 2-3 hours drive in a taxi or bus from Catania. I went to Catania, Taormina and Palermo. First of all the Italian locals are different to the mainland, I found most of them to be very uninviting, arrogant and care nothing for their visitors. Taxi minimum fares starts at 15 euro and go upward, meters are only for locals (go 2 kilometers it’s 15 euros.) We missed out going to Noto and Syracuse from Catania because the journeys either by Taxi or bus were long trips and very expensive. The Sicily food? Some say the best in the world, but sorry to say, we found the opposite. We searched high and low for that traditional good Sicilian food many speak about. Instead we found one of our meals unpalatable (really bad - Spillo e Mazzancolle) and that famous seafood highly spoken about on TV shows, practically non-existent. And yes, we looked, looked and looked. The few things we found true, the Sicily sweets were great, octopus salad awesome and the Arancino fabulous.

Catania, there is not much to do there, Taormina is set up for tourism that resembles a walk along Rodeo drive Beverly Hills with its remodelled architecture and high-end shops. Best parts were Taormina’s Ancient Theatre and Castelmola. There are very few sights and you can do it all in a day and a half. Palermo, there isn’t much there, yes big city with lovely architecture, fantastic churches and ancient castle but if you’ve been to Rome all of it comes in second place. The beaches in Taormina are superb, after all it is the Mediterranean.

If you ask me “would I go back, give it a second chance”? If you are travelling from a faraway place. No, not all.

Date of experience: July 2018
carmelina2, Owner at Sicilian Experience - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

I am not sure why the above comment is on my website as I never organised a tour in Sicily for the person above. I am sorry your holiday wasn't want you expected perhaps people have certain expectations before arriving or compare every place to another place and aren't able to appreciate the country and its traditions for what it is.
Sicily is the largest region in Italy and every area is different to one another and if you wants to see a lot in a short time there's definitely a lot of travelling to do. On google map from Taormina to Piano Sapienza on the base of Mt Etna it takes 1hr 15mins one-way!
It's sad that you didn't enjoy your holiday in Sicily, but likely we all different and different places suit different people.

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

Carmelina and the team arranged a fantastic couple of days walking and riding in the Madonie National Park. It is a stunning national park, so much so I will be back and it was fantastic to get out of busy Cefalu.

Eva and Roberto my guides were wonderful local people, so warm and passionate about the local area, it’s flora, fauna and produce. I learnt a lot and felt like I was spending the day with friends. Such a better and far more unique experience than a days coach tour. With no tourists around it felt like seeing the real Sicily. I also as a bonus got to meet the amazing Zahir and Ury two wonderful horses who have the run of the national park. Couldn’t recommend Carmelina and team and their ability to organise a unique adventure for you enough.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 3 May 2018

Our group of four worked with Carmelina to set up the itinerary for a 7 night self-guided walking tour through the Madonie mountains to the north coast of Sicily. She also arranged an extension of the tour, so we could visit the Aeolian Islands and Taormina as well. It was an essentially flawless and completely fantastic trip. The self-guided walk was without a hitch. Carmelo, our walk manager, was extremely helpful and transported us when necessary, as well as taking our luggage to the next destination. The lodgings were all wonderful, and varied from smaller B&B's to a luxurious resort, but we were warmly welcomed everywhere. At the start of the walk we were given a very complete booklet with instruction and accompanying photos of all the waypoints. There was also an app which she suggested which allowed us to see exactly where we were relative to the planned route. We got off-course a couple of times, solely due to our inattention, but easily corrected. She also arranged a guide for a day at Mt. Etna, as well as a guide while we were in Taormina. Working with her by email was without a hitch. I can't wait to go back to Sicily again, and wouldn't think of working with anyone other than Carmelina.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

We have just completed our first ever self guided walk and our first trip to Sicily. The scenery was diverse and gorgeous and the opportunity to visit small towns away from the tourist areas allowed us see a Sicily that most people miss. Everything about the trip was excellent - from the planning to the accommodations to the food and wine and to the Sicilians. Carmelina could not have pulled together a better trip for my wife and I.

Reviewed 14 April 2018

Sicilian Experience arranged a guide and donkey trek for us through the Madonie mountains. We loved it, and learned a lot about the countryside from our guide. We were also sent directions for a beautiful circular walk starting in Sant Ambrogio, including a visit to a shepherd to find out how he makes ricotta cheese.
We were staying in Cefalu, and it was perfect for us to experience beautiful walks nearby whilst still leaving lots of time for the beach.
Our children (13, 11 and 7) also enjoyed the walks, although our 7 year old did moan a little bit ;-)