“Heavenly Honeymoon”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Daniel J
“RUINED OUR HOONYMOON ”
Reviewed 3 December 2016 for a stay in November 2016
people found this review helpful

My wife and myself have had cut our honeymoon short in your windmill. Over the almost 2 days in your property , our experience in the windmill has been very disappointing. To begin with in the early hours of Monday morning (around 2am) we heard something scratching within the windmill and went to investigate, upon arriving in the kitchen I found a rodent scratching at the side of the extractor fan trying to get through a small hole that looks to have been there for some time. Thankfully it wasn't able to get into the kitchen. An hour so later the fire alarm then went off. Thankfully it was a false alarm. After informing the owner, we were told that it was impossible for us to hear anything in the kitchen and what we was saying was not true and we were being called liars. She also said it was 'unfortunate' the fire alarm went off. In the early hours of Tuesday morning (around 1:30am) I was awoken by the same sound of scratching and walking around but this time it was directly above our heads. I listened for a while to make sure it wasn't the rain or wind making the noises and again I heard the same sound . I tapped the ceiling and heard several possible rodents run over my head to my horror. I do understand that we are in the country side and rodents are a part of life and the possibility that there may be times when they are seen on a ground floor level but being on the top floor I would not expect them to be above my head when we are trying to sleep. When we contacted the owner we were told that the noises we were hearing were definitely not rodents but birds. This was repeated several times during the conversation very loudly I might add, over the top of me speaking . I was trying to explain that they are definitely not birds and that it may need investigating but the owner was not prepared to listen to me and kept cutting me off every time I tried to speak. The fact that rodents or birds are in the attic above the bedroom is not only unacceptable but incredibly unhygienic. We had booked the property to relax and unwind on our honeymoon after a busy few months of work, study and bringing our wedding together. At this point me and my wife was so stressed and uncomfortable about the rodents we slept in the car for most of the night (something the owner added she wouldn't recommend doing in November). The general maintenance of the property was unacceptable too, The week before the stay, the owner contacted us to inform us that the DVD player was not working, we weren't too happy about this as we relax watching films, but we had time to sort out bringing a laptop with us. What was disappointing was to find when we got to the windmill after a long drive a note on the table to inform us that plugs were not working and bulbs were out in the bathroom, especially when the owner was at the windmill the week before our stay, so I feel she had plenty of time to resolve theses issues. It was a reduced rate booking but we have been saving for a while for this honeymoon as it's our first break away for 2 years and we were looking forward to exploring this part of France having not been before. To have all these problems is not what we were hoping for. Because of the possible rodent problem we took the hard decision to move to other accommodation after only 2 day at the windmill. This was taken out of our spending money that we had worked hard to save for! To begin with the owner said she will give us a full refund. We then found out 6 days after speaking to her we were only getting 50% back. She stated this was due to billing for cleaning and to investigate the problem. I find this absolutely disgraceful. This whole experience has ruined our honeymoon and were are both very upset with the way we have been treated and the experience we have had at the windmill. The owner is uncooperative, rude, frequently changes her story (she told us she was there for 7 days, but told my dad only 4 days. Told us she'd owned the property for 15 years, told my dad 9 years) and appears to have an answer for every problem or detail. My understanding is we are not the only people who have had an issue as she confessed so herself. This was NOT the romantic getaway we expected to start our married life.

Management Response
4 Dec 2016
I have owned the property for 15 years but it was only rented out for the last 9 years.
Saying they were awoken by a mouse scratching in the kitchen when they were 3 floors up in the bedroom, and that it waited there whilst they went to investigate...is extremely unlikely! I have had the property checked and there is no sign of rodents anywhere. I have experienced birds in the roof void as it is not possible to close the space where the roof sits on the walls. The clients provided no evidence of any of the issues they have stated. I have two guest books full of excellent reviews and to have this put on TripAdvisor is disappointing. I refunded 50% and have an email from Mr Jackson accepting this. I take people's comments very seriously when they are warranted.
Glasgow

manchester
Reviewed 21 March 2011 for a stay in September 2009

Your age range 55-64
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing