All reviews swimming pool cricket field superior room both nights patio doors bar menu some tlc main building garden room night break bit dated north tyne beautiful countryside self catering lovely break wine list northumberland national park
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Arrived on Saturday 29th September for one night. Just myself and my husband for a break.
Went to reception and the gentleman who we spoke to (,from Beacon Lough) was very friendly and helpful and showed us where our room was.
We were in superior room number 30.
We thought if was lovely and so peaceful where we were over looking a field with a fountain. Lots of choices in the room for drinks and a huge bed.
Went for a swim. There was only the 2 of us. It was ok but could do with being updating. The sauna didn't really work and we didn't bother using it.
Food gorgeous and had a 3 course meal. Was delicious.
Few drinks in the bar and so relaxing.
Lovely nights sleep. Shower didn't work very well. But the bath was nice and hot.
Breakfast was really nice however I found it expensive £13.50 for a full English. A bit dear I think.
Would defo come back here but wouldn't use the pool unless it had some serious updating and the changing rooms were cleaner.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2018

On arrival at hotel, met by very friendly staff.Room very nice(12).Stayed for 3 days. Very relaxing. Bar prices reasonable. Food just amazing! Lovely views overlooking cricket pitch.Also lovely riverside walk back into village. Couple of nice pub's in village with friendly locals!Staff can't do enough for you.Looking forward to returning!!!!

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2018

My wife asked me to be not too negative when reviewing this hotel as the staff were pleasant and the breakfasts were good.
However I feel that when you are paying £140 per night for a double room then the rooms should have a little something special.
This is not the case. We have stopped at far superior hotels charging less per room and having a wow factor such as original art and imaginative room decoration.
Here we had peeling varnish, cracked walls, a shower rail hung up with a piece of string, holes in the wall, stains on the wall behind the bed and cracked tiles covered with gaffer tape.
One of our party wanted to use the sauna, he was told it was not working. Looking at other reviews it would appear that is a common theme.
If you have facilities in your description and your star rating is given based on these, then surely they should be working?
I am amazed that in this day and age of websites such as trip advisor that the hotel does not update the aged decor as surely the word will spread that this hotel is not such a good place to stay. Yes the staff are friendly and yes the breakfasts are good, but we stayed in a pub charging £42 the following night and the breakfast was good there and the staff were friendly also. The meal in the pub was equal or better to the fayre on offer in the Riverdale Hall as well !

Room Tip: Go somewhere else......
Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shaun W
Reviewed 23 September 2018

Driving south from Edinburgh on empty roads and beautiful countryside to meet a fishing friend from London who was staying two nights - saw his room briefly which had great views towards the river and over the cricket pitch and seemed pretty good to me.
Sadly I was only making an early start for breakfast - and what a perfect breakfast! - freshly and individually cooked/grilled which seems pretty rare these days with absolutely no grease thank goodness - and even hot toast which few establishments seem to manage alongside the food.

Staff very friendly and helpful and I made a mental note to return and stay overnight sometime in the future and enjoy more of the hotel facilities. Seemed very good value to me - a swim before breakfast too if that’s what you want - at the hotel and not in the river!!

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for a family weekend to celebrate my son's engagement. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They organised flowers chocolates and a balloon to put in their room lovely touches
Even the bar manager made a special effort in getting me a special gin glass for my forthcoming visit.
Great hotel. Made to feel special even the dog had a great time and allowed in to the bar so we could all have breakfast together
A lovely walk which is close by Definately a must.
Thank you all so much.