“Steeped in history ”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visiting this place is like travelling back in time!

Very old fashioned tea house with its dark wood furniture and glass display counter.

The serving staff was very helpful and sweet.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked the vintage suit above the café for my parents. This included breakfast along with the use of the room. My parents are not very tech savvy which is why I am writing this review. Their room was perfect and they said that the staff in the maids of honour could not have been more helpful or made them feel more welcome. The location was walking distance from the train station and the entrance to Kew Gardens. They came back all smiles. Thank you to everyone at The Original Maids of Honour, you have created some lovely memories for my parents, Nancy :)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've been meaning to visit this place for years and finally got around to it. It was ok, but could have been so much better. The decor is a bit shabby, although I quite like that - I prefer "slightly faded vintage character" to "refurbished into a state of modern blandness".

But, service wasn't great. The place wasn't very busy - only a couple of tables filled - and it took about 5 minutes to be seated and then another 10 for my order to be taken (although the table beside me had their order taken and it would have been much more efficient for them to take my order at the same time). That said, the staff were polite and apologetic.

I had a cream tea. I loved that they give a decent sized pot of tea, unlike many other tea rooms I've visited. The signature maid of honour tart, served warm, was a real treat and I would definitely stop by again to get that. The scones were disappointing - fluffy in a way that suggests lots of additives in the flour. Maybe I've been ruined by visiting too many bakeries and posh hotels over the years, but I definitely prefer a crumblier scone.

The one thing that I wasn't too keen about was the number of messy/uncleared tables. I never understand how restaurants get this so wrong. Clearing a table and ensuring it is wiped down only takes a minute or two. Unless a place is packed and you're grabbing the table as its previous occupants leave, it's not a great experience to sit at a table that's sticky and covered in crumbs.

I'm aware that they might have been short-staffed or having a bad day, so I'll probably try it out again (next time I'm at Kew) for the generous pot of tea and the warm, buttery maid of honour tart.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for late afternoon cream teas, the scones were small and looked shop bought and an offer to warm them did not materialize we found them overpriced and poor. The place itself is in need of redecorating. I would have thought they could use some of those large profits to spruce the place up.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went here this weekend as we have heard a lot about the quaintness of this place, we wasent disappointed what a lovely little place,its like going back in time, everything thats on offer i.e cakes, scones, pastries and an assortment of pies all homemade and you can certainley taste the difference from manufactured produce, the ambience is what we loved everything in the restaurant/coffee shop was very old and quaint tiny little chintz teacups and saucers, all the old photos around on the walls showing hiw long its been there, so if you ever go to kew gardens its in the same road definitely worth a visit, and staff lovely and helpful.